The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trip Report - Jan30-Feb16, 2009 (Final - part 5)
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 05:06PM

OBSERVATIONS / THOUGHTS / RAMBLINGS

WEATHER – was windier than many of past eleven years. It also had more showers and outright rain storms. But it was much better than being in St Louis.
TRAFFIC – actually seemed more crowed on roads than past. Really, however the worst area is along Welfare/Airport Road between 4:30-6:30pm
Road to Butterfly Far/Orient Beach is being paved.
A lot more traffic along road from Phillipsburg to OBBR, especially in the early evening.
CRIME - Didn’t see any. Saw more police, even driving through OBBR.
OYSTER BAY BEACH RESORT – resort itself is in good shape. Building is continuing with the new Time Share building almost completed and should be opened in March or early April. Unfortunately the new building, contrary to promises this past May and when it was started, is now slated to have it’s top floor turned into ten condos (Starting @$750,000.) with their own pool on the roof. The remaining three floors, rather than being offered, as originally promised, to the general “floating” week owners, will be sold to a new group of “fixed week owners” for $26,000. In a further slap in the face of owners, one of the six unit, 2 bedroom “floating “ buildings overlooking the Marina will be converted to Condos , starting at $450,000. I can tell you that many owners are VERY unhappy. Just like the poor people who invested at Pelican with the promise of a lifetime view of Simpson Bay, people who invested in Oyster Bay, many who have many weeks, and have built it through their maintenance fees into a wonderful premiere timeshare, are now being “spit on” by this new management team.
EVen more unfortunate is that some of the employees are also unhappy with new changes. I hope Mr Gold will reconsider some of the recent decisions. .

Another great trip made better and better by contribution to the TTOL and Go Beach Boards. Thanks to all who stopped to say hi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trip Report - Jan30-Feb16, 2009 (Final - part 5)
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.52.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 05:58PM

Hey!

AGAIN ! Thanks Norm...splendid photos and good updates. It's a JOY to see cement being poured in the right places on the French side.

Denis

Posted by: G&B (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 06:19PM

You have made your report well worth the wait! Enjoyed each part immensely, just missing the fact that we weren't there this year to share it with you!

Great photos, too! Thanks for sharing, Belinda

Posted by: LBI2SXM (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 08:55PM

Totally enjoyed your trip report and the photos were great! I cannot believe how much your son looks like you!

Date: March 02, 2009 11:08PM

Yeah, I don't think you have to worry about the mailman on this one. Glad you enjoyed the report.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 11:09PM by SXMNorm.

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 06:41AM

Norm, I thoroughly enjoyed reading all five parts of your trip report. The pictures were great! Thanks so much for posting this.

Annie

Posted by: leenms (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 12:46PM

Enjoyed your report and especially the pictures. I was thinking the same thing about how much your son looked like you!

Posted by: Sharon (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 05, 2009 08:56AM

Thank you Norm so very much for this report.
I found out more info from you in your report,even more interestingly to us than even the great food you described.
My husband and I have been going to SXM for a month now every year for 13 years this year. Must be the lucky number for us regarding the road to the butterfly farm now being paved. Is it from the main road?? If so happy days!!. That road was so bad by January 12 this year we were taking the long way around to Orient Beach. My husband will be thrilled if it is all paved finally.

I a very saddened and somewhat upset about Oyster Bay and the new buildings not available for us timeshare people. Every year there is a hassle to get where we want to be. We book in April for December. Love the resort but frustrated with the hassle to get what we paid for every year when we book. Saying that can't wait to get there again this year.
Regards
Sharon

Date: March 05, 2009 08:34PM

Sharon, The picture of the Butterfly Farm road was taken towards the beginning of our trip. By the time we left, Feb16, people were actually dring on the finished half and they were working on the unfinished part. The rental car people must be estatic because their car's shocks and tires, and bottom of car won't be abused anymore,.......at least for another twenty years.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |