The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trip Report - Jan30-Feb16, 2009 (part 3)
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 10:43PM

DINNERS –
L’Estaminet – Very enjoyable meal at this small restaurant in Grand Case located directly across from Le California. They have free parking almost next door. Actually parking is $5., but show your stub and $5. is deducted from your bill.
Norm had Pork Kebobs with walnut/ caramel sauce, Betty had Sole cooked with vegetables in a clear bag. Paul and Norm split the sample plate of various chocolate items. Betty and Carol split a crème brulee. With wine and drinks, bill was $80./couple including tip. No serv chrg. After dinner we were presented with their signature Tiramisu drink. Think it was a shot glass with layers of kahlua, baileys, and a dusting of cocoa on top. Very nice.
Mama Pizza –(2) Oyster Pond. They also have a place in Maho area. Carried out one night. Ham and Cheese - $15.00 w/tip, plus they gave us a loaf of their bread. Ate on patio the other with Chris and Jennifer. Two pizzas, 2 beers, 2 sodas, $39.25. No ser.chrg. Nice place. Good pizza.
Dinghy Dock –(3) Met Bruce and Susan where we discussed his future “floating dentistry on a yacht” idea. Betty and I had their ribs w/fries $15. w/tip. No serv. chrg. It was after Happy Hour and ribs were a little dry even with sauce. Other visit we ordered a little earlier and the ribs were their usual fall off the bone tender with a great sauce.
tried their Burger one night. With fries, 2 sodas - $15, no serv chrg.
Peg Leg Pub –(3) One night, on a strange schedule, we stopped at PLP for Happy Hour which runs 4-6pm. Had a beer, tea, and sampler appetizer platter for $15.including tip. PLP ‘s appetizers are half price during HH and are very large.
The other visit was with Chris and Jen on Wednesday. With reservations, we had a wonderful table close to entertainment. The new PLP locations is so nice. Great parking, Very open restaurant, and wonderful food. We had a family style salad, a large filet plate for Betty and I, kids had a surf and turf plate. For dessert we had a hot fudge sundae, while Chris and Jen had a molten chocolate cake. This was followed by some dessert coffees. Wonderful time. Great entertainment of Cover Two Cover. Highly recommend catching these two guys, but make reservations.
Returned again for Happy Hour. Norm had the Steak Kabobs which were tender, juicy, and abundant. Betty had the Beer Battered Chicken Fingers. With drinks and tip - $18.00.
Talk Of The Town – Although Harmony night was postponed because of “iffy” weather, we went anyway and had a inexpensive dinner of ribs, chicken, plantine, potato salad, slaw. Good meal
Buccaneer Beach Bar – (1*) Actually we went here twice. The first was with kids after their arrival for a welcoming BBC,….but they were out of bananas. Pits.
Returned later in week and had burger/fries/ rib bowl and 2 sodas - $20.w/tip. No serv. chrg. Always good.
Pineapple Pete’s – Grilled Mahi Mahi with vegetables and rice and, of course, Crème Brulee. Soda, wine. $28.30 with serv. chrg. Enjoyable meal. Service was a little slower than usual, but it was packed. Glad we had made reservations.
Chesterfields – (2) First time we had the grilled Grouper. Betty ordered the garlic/butter sauce, Norm order the creole sauce. Neither of us used much sauce. The fish was so delicious and golden brown that sauce wasn’t needed. Went back the second week with kids and had same meal and again a wonderful piece of grouper. Each grouper meal with veggies, rice, and tea was $18.00. Not including serv chrg .
Iguana Bar –(2) Didn’t really have a meal here, but did have their Fried Pot Stickers during the SXM Lovers Party
They were as good as they look .
Also stopped by after the cancelled Harmony Night for dessert. Chris and Jennifer split a Apple Tart with Ice Cream and Cinammon. It was gone before I could get a picture. Betty and I split the Fried Bananas with chocolate sauce. And YES they were very tasty
Sopranos Pizza – Stopped by for a tasty pizza and salad, with wine and soda - $34.00, no serv chrg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2009 08:10AM by SXMNorm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trip Report - Jan30-Feb16, 2009 (part 3)
Posted by: WOW (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 06:45AM

Fantastic pics.

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.52.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 07:20AM

Hey Norm!

A very ambitious project with exceptional pics! Beautiful job and I enjoyed the result. Good to see $$$ references; it's always great to know where to save a $.

THANKS for the project !

Denis

Posted by: SXMWendell (76.206.19.---)
Date: March 02, 2009 07:29AM

Norm great report.

Wendell

Posted by: DanandPam (69.158.127.---)
Date: March 02, 2009 07:54AM

My Gawd...you two are foodies!!!
I gained five pounds reading this!!!
Norm....That pizza on the last group looks fantastic!!!

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2009 08:30AM

really wonderful pictures
Now I am so hungry!
thanks so much for posting all this.
I have a few new places I want to try now, thanks to you and Betty!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 04:00PM

Thanks Norm for your Three Part Trip report! Excellent info and beautiful photos which also included alot of the dishes you ordered. So glad you had a great time. We can see it by the smiles on your faces. smiling smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 04:14PM

great report, but i don't appreciate the 15lbs I gained just looking at all the pics of meals!!!! can't wait till April!

Posted by: fabila (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 08:48PM

You're making me hungry, Norm.

Posted by: JeffV (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 10:27PM

Norm this is a great report and I especially love all your dining and $$ information. How did the "kids" like their stay? Are they hooked like dear ol' dad?

JeffV

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 08:37PM

Jeff, The kids had a good time. You know how fast a week goes though. As far as being hooked like Dad,.....probably not, but at least they have a better understanding of "the old man".

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |