The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Using canvas bags rather than plastic
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 08:56PM

Barbara wrote a very nice article on her blog today about bringing your own bags for shopping and the rewards for doing so. It's one of her blogs that people should read (not that the other ones aren't informative or downright funny). I do know that there was a prior thread about this but I thought I'd start another one.

I had stated last week that I had done my duty as a concerned citizen and purchased about 6 store canvas bags to use instead of the plastic ones but I also voiced my concern about forgetting them at home. Many people came through with wonderful ideas on how to remind me to bring these bags with me when I actually went shopping. And so I did hang the bags on the doorknob and then remembered to place them gently in the FRONT SEAT the next time I went out to the car and so I did just that. Every day I would get in the car and see these wonderful bags sitting next to me so that when the weekend came, I would be able to easily grab them when leaving the car to go into the store.

This weekend I was prepared! I got into the car and drove off to the supermarket, ready for my next shopping trip. When I got to the supermarket I got out of the car and began walking toward the store, my mind in another world. Suddenly I remembered that I had bought bags to use for this shopping trip. I turned around to walk back to the car and then it struck me...I had taken Rick's car instead...angry smiley

This is when I realized that not all things go as planned, no matter how much thought was put into it.... but one good thing did happen...I bought more canvas shopping bags and now there are bags IN BOTH CARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using canvas bags rather than plastic
Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 08:38AM

I guess we're all the same in spite of our physical differences!! >grinning smiley< I've done the same thing many times. Some stores in my area offer incentives for using shopping bags, Trader Joes, has a drawing for $25.00 store certificate and when you use your own bags they give you an entry for the drawing, another store offers 5% off your groceries for using the bags. Other than the obvious reasons, these incentives help. Now.......if I can only remember to put them back in the car after I use them!! winking smiley

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2009 08:39AM

good girl' Vicki!>grinning smiley<
Thanks for posting this!

I have to tell you that doing this GEBE supermarket challenge over the weekend,we saw people we knew and we told them they should be using their reusable bags.
I cannot tell you how many people said, oh, I forgot them at home, or oh, I have them in the car, and forgot to get them out of the car.
I myself have done the same thing.
It really is all about EDUCATION!

The environmental groups need keep educating the community. Then each person needs to educate himself or herself about how to remember the darn bags.
It's a process.. First remember to take the bags, then remember to get them out of the car.

The big bags that GEBE gave out and that Le Grand Marche and Cost u Less are selling are fantastic. Each one of them holds the equivalent of about 8 of those stupid plastic bags.
I also bought some smaller bags online to use when I want to buy just a few things.
I keep them in my pocketbook because they fold up small.
Check this web site for all sizes and shapes.
[www.reusablebags.com]

I was pleased to learn also that Le Grand Marche has ordered a container load of bio degradable bags that they will start using instead of the ones they use now.
so it's a start..a good start!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2009 08:40AM by Barbara1.

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 08:46AM

BTW, I also, bring my bags to SXM and have left them there for a local friend.
So, it you see some bright blue Trader Joe bags with surfboards and palm trees on them, those were mine!! And the lady using them is my friend, Mimi! >grinning smiley<

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: DanandPam (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: March 01, 2009 08:56AM

Contessa...are you sure Mimi wants you broadcasting that???>grinning smiley<

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 09:08AM

Barbara, that was a wonderful post on your blog. And you are right...we all have to be educated. First to get and use the bags, second to put them in your car and third to remember to bring them into the store with you. I do keep mine on the front seat of my car. I have two Publix bags (had three, lost one), two Walmart, a bag that holds four bottles of wine and then a huge one from the Leesburg Saturday Morning Farmer's Market. And those bags really hold a lot!

Annie

Posted by: jimandi (---.d01.scpeli.pbtcomm.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 04:24PM

I ordered canvas bags on line, plain natural color. We have three small grandchildren ages nine, five and four. When they visited we did craft day where they drew a picture, wrote a story or whatever their heart desired on the bags and finished up with a hand print, name and date. I hang the bags just under the key rack so I will not forget them. One is especially special to me. Gabe age five wrote, 'Keep the Earth Green for Me Please'.

We are also making an effort not to use plastic water/soda bottles.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 04:38PM

jimandi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ordered canvas bags on line, plain natural
> color. We have three small grandchildren ages
> nine, five and four. When they visited we did
> craft day where they drew a picture, wrote a story
> or whatever their heart desired on the bags and
> finished up with a hand print, name and date. I
> hang the bags just under the key rack so I will
> not forget them. One is especially special to me.
> Gabe age five wrote, 'Keep the Earth Green for Me
> Please'.
>
> We are also making an effort not to use plastic
> water/soda bottles.

What a wonderful story - and how better to stir the mind than through the words and deeds of a grandchild.

We also have the green reusalbe store bags which I keep in the backseat of my car. Now if only I could remember to bring them into the store on the first shot each time instead of always having to run back to the car to get them...smiling bouncing smiley

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |