- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Banning plastic on the island
Posted by: DanandPam (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:04PM

Hey Barb....Oh no..I'm sounding like Big Den!!

I just got back from our little haven...... one of the things I noticed...is all the bottles going into the trash...If they don't get into recycling...I'm afeared the dump will eventully take over the island!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2009 08:34AM

yep, I totally agree. that is another thing we need here desperately..recycling!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2009 07:13PM

The French side has some sort of recycling plan at the dump in French Cul de sac, and it is why you can see different type of Garbage bin along side the road, some for paper, some for glasses... It worked pretty well since few years now, but last week a huge fire developped at the dump and destroyed a large part of the recycling equipement... The damages are worth 1.8 million Euros, and it will put the operating compagny in difficulties for a while since they will not be able to operate recycling until they replace the equipement, and it may take some time even though the Company Manager is already in France looking for replacement equipement...
The Dutch side , as you mentioned, is in dire need of recycling action and planing...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Elaine (200.7.49.---)
Date: February 17, 2009 07:40PM

Vicki - we brought our recycled bags down from CT and keep them in the trunk of the car. We did forget them at first and one of us would have to run to the car while the other checked out. But we're getting better at it. We also hang them on the doorknob to remind us to bring them back down to the car. I also carry an rolled up eco bag in my purse (which I sometimes HAVE to carry,) just in case of spontaneous shopping!

I can proudly say that in the past month and 1/2 we have only brought home ONE plastic bag!

Posted by: Elaine (200.7.49.---)
Date: February 17, 2009 07:41PM

Oh, and we take our recycles to the French side and put them in the bins. Guess with the fire, we should stop that for awhile, HUH?

Date: February 17, 2009 07:54PM

No.. I think you can still do it... They won't recycle until they've got the new machines but I beleive that they wiil "stock" up the recycling material until they are operating again.
BTW... Good for you to take them to the French bin even though you livce on the Dutch side... I would like to say that I would love more people doing that, but I guess our President of Collectivity and the French tax payers wouldn't have the same opinion as me I guess... But IMO, they would be wrong because at the end it is about the environement of ONE island... Maybe the Dutch side governemet should try to make a deal with te French one, so that Dutch side recycling could be sent to the French plan, even though the Dutch governement would pay a yearly fee for that...? Why not... Ugh! I forgot... it would be less money to skim from the top and less to ends up in politician's pockets.. Am I stupid with those ideas or what?...LOL!!!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.9.---)
Date: February 18, 2009 05:34AM

Philippe - you are 100% correct!

Every time I pull up to the bins I expect the flashing lights of the Gendarmes to pull up behind us! LOL I do so wish Dutch side would recycle - but I guess you are correct in your assumptions for the reasons also. So sad.

So sorry to all you St Martin taxpayers. Thank you for subsidizing our little treachery!

Date: February 18, 2009 06:50AM

smoking smileywinking smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 06:57AM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on helping me to remember my bags and good for you Elaine! Those bags are so thin that I can understand how some animals may think of them as jellyfish and try to eat them.

When I come down (unfortunately late in the year) I will purchase a bunch for the condo.

I would love to become more involved in the solution to the island's problems of trash and recycling. We, at home, help by cleaning out our brook several times a year, to allow water passage. Yes, we have slobs as well and it's unbelieveable what is pulled from the brook. But it gets done and is not something we leave for the town or others to clean up. Yes, we complain about these slobs but we don't stop there. We act.

And so there has to be a way that the residents could come up with a temporary solution to this growing problem. Talking about needed changes does nothing...getting involved does. And I think that if the residents as a group took the initiative, the government would eventually step in to take over, especially if the residents were serious about their mission. But even if they didn't, at least something would get done rather than just talking about it.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.9.---)
Date: February 18, 2009 07:46AM

There are several organizations on the island, including the Pride Foundation and many schools, who organize clean up days in their neighborhoods.

We visit Cupecoy beaches frequently. We will usually take a pair of gloves and pick up the litter found at the top of the cliffs. There are several of the dreaded Lemon Drop Gang who spend an hour of each day cleaning up the mess left behind by other folks.

I also see folks walking in the neighborhood with a bag and picking up as they walk along.

So it is happening. Someday, the government will take notice.

Date: February 18, 2009 07:47AM

A lot of residents do something about it. It is not always publicised, and a lot of people act on their own at their small level and every single action count. But being realistic, and knowing pretty well about how the "governement "functions" here, it doesn't matter if residents do something about it or organise themselves in groups to clear the problem. The governement will not react, because the don't give a dam about this... and even better they will think: "oh good! someone else is doing the job for us... we can rest a little bit more and use for our own purpose this money that would be use for those program... " They don't care!.. they are incompetent, uneducated and they don't care! It is sad that a "country" (yes...it is what they want to become...SCARY !!!) have their residents acting instead of the governement, but it's what we are resolved to do.
And like for all the other problem we are confronted with, people from outside will tell us :"if your governement is incompetent, vote them out!" and what after? to vote who in? another idiot who's only goal is to become a fat cat? there is nobody to take over...at all! sad sad sad situation in "paradise"

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 18, 2009 07:49AM

The governement already took notice, Elaine, the "governement" just don't care... to "bizzy" filling up their pockets signing building permits...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 08:22AM

You are right Philippe and I don't doubt that. I already know how incompetent the government can be but for the residents to idly sit by and not do anything but complain is equally bad. This is not a political thing where the residents can't participate. This is something that can be done without needing approval or permits or standing in line. It doesn't need anything more than willing hands and about 1 to 2 hours a month to make a difference (no matter how big or small). If once or twice a month a group of dedicated volunteers selected a point on the island and deemed that the area of the month and picked up the trash, how great would that be! How inspiring, especially to the youth of the country would that be! That the residents of both sides actually took control and did something about it without waiting for government response. And in time, the island would be a little cleaner, a little brighter, and the children of the island a little more aware that making a difference is actually a cool thing.

And like I said, if there is a photographer taking a photo of garbage, that photographer should also be putting on a good pair of boots and helping to clean up his subject matter! Taking photos does nothing. Taking the initiative does something.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |