- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Banning plastic on the island
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2009 11:16AM

Le Grand Marche supermarket on St.Maarten launched their eco-reusable bag on Thursday Feb.12th.2009. The bags feature a picture of the Emilio Wilson Estate. Bags will cost $2.- and are sold in all their stores. proceeds of the sold bags will go as donations to the various enviro groups on island, including the Emilio Wilson Park. This is another step in the right direction, more businesses are coming to realize the importance of ridding the island of flimsy plastic grocery bags and their responsibility towards the environment. Sint Maarten PRIDE foundation hopes that everyone will take the opportunity to purchase one of these bags and use them for grocery shopping. Say NO to Plastic.
Do your part even if you are just visiting.
When you shop at Grand Marche, buy one or more of the bags. You will be helping the environment and helping some worthwhile organizations.

See my blog about it too, with some pictures.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Banning plastic on the island
Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 11:33AM

That's good news, B! I said 'no' to plastic bags a long, long time ago. Hope everyone else will, too.

Annie

Posted by: WWII (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2009 12:57PM

We timeshare owners should keep one or two in each unit, so we never need to add to the plastic problem. One in the trunk of each rental car might be a good idea also.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 01:55PM

That's a good idea. If they're not already there when we get there, we'll definitely leave a couple in ours. We always use cloth bags at home, but we end up throwing away so many of those plastic bags on vacation it's ridiculous!

Date: February 14, 2009 05:32PM

good ideas! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 06:06PM

I would love to have some in my condo for my guests to use! Such a great idea. It's just buying them and getting them there that's my problem. Hopefully by December they'll still be selling them, especially the ones that are pictured on your blog and are sold for the benefit of worthy causes rather than to the store itself.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: .Bruce (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 07:14PM

Getting rid of all those flimsy bags will do wonders in reducing the trash , those things get caught up in tree's and shrubs too easy

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 07:40PM

Well Barbara...you got me to go green at home. Today I bought 5 bags from the supermarket and will use them when shopping. It's just that I will have to make it a point to remember to take them out of the car before walking into the supermarket. That will be my biggest challenge.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: February 15, 2009 08:39PM

vicki, tell me about it.
I cannot tell you how often I have forgotten to bring my bags with me.

Posted by: islandbound (200.7.52.---)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:37AM

Bruce you are so right. We get around by boat & I am constantly hoisting bags out of the lagoon & sea. Aside from getting caught in the props, turtles with their poor eyesight mistake them for their favourite snack, jellyfish, with fatal consequences. On land it would be nice if Sang's could adjust their policy. I always take a big sturdy WeBe bag (made from recycled coffee bean sacks) plus cool bag shopping (much easier to cope with on the bus) but at Sang's you have to check them in at the entrance so don't have them at checkout. The only way to by-pass plastic bags misery is to reload in the shopping cart, collect the bags from security & pack outside. And don't even get me started on the double-bagging thing!! Excuse me whilst I go polish my halo winking smiley

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 08:57AM

Instead of leaving my bags in the car, I keep them at the foot of the steps to the garage, so that I have to pick them up on my way out. Then I can put them on the front seat next to me, on top of my purse, so that I can't forget to take them in.

Posted by: LBI2SXM (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 09:23AM

Just back from Curacao, they are doing the same thing! Plastic is destructive, hope all the islands follow suit!

Date: February 16, 2009 09:55AM

actually Curacao led the way by banning all plastic.
Our government here has yet to take such a leadership role.

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:08AM

I hang them on my door knob after using them. That way next time I go out I remember to take them to the car!
Cheers
irina

Posted by: dcarol (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 02:38PM

We brought down the Trader Joe bags to SXM and used them all over. We have been using the LL Bean type canvas bags for shopping, Costco for many years now and you will find that some stores credit you back a few cents for byobag

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |