The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Special people on a special Island.
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.61.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2009 06:22AM

Hey !

SXM People….the givers.

A short note about the kind of folks we see on SXM, locals and tourists.

A few weeks back it became known that Chloe and Thierry, former operators of The Kissing Fish Bar at the Summit Hotel in Cupecoy, were encountering difficulty in Bali.

Chloe and Thierry had made a break from KF last fall, gathered themselves together and headed out on a new venture. To make it short; the new venture turned sour and the couple were left in dire financial straits a long way from home.

Over the years Dee Rubano and her hubby Rich frequented the KF a lot. Now as residents in their condo at Cupecoy they spend time at many other places but felt the loss of T & C as many of us visitors have.

Without a whole lot of promotion, behind the scenes as it were, Dee has managed to find generous contributors to a fund aimed at returning the couple to SXM. She has met with success and we all hope to see Chloe and Thierry back on Island within a few weeks.

As to the future of T & C back home, we know little, but expect to see them back in the mix at some restaurant. We will have to wait and see.

So, this post is about givers, isn’t it refreshing to see something like this happen to folks we know? Isn’t it nice to see good deeds done without fanfare or self promotion?

All you givers, whoever you are ..THANKS !

A special THANKS ! to Dee and her friends who pulled this project together quickly and effortlessly.

Special people on a special Island………..PRICELESS …….

Denis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Special people on a special Island.
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2009 04:27PM

WOW!!! How wonderful a post. Thank you so much Denis for letting us all know. I had suggested to them through a post that they look into the Cliffhanger bar/restaurant as a possibility since it currently is closed and I would think generate a following from 3 or 4 large resorts that are in walking distance. I think this would be an excellent choice if the owners are looking to rent the place. It could use good people who care about their customers.

I only met them once briefly at a party held at KF and they both seemed so nice. And I know nice people when I meet them, even as brief as it was. I would love to see people like this benefit from the generosity of others when in dire need.

Vicki

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2009 04:28PM by John.

Posted by: DanandPam (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: January 28, 2009 04:30PM

Hey Dennis......You are one of those special people!!!!

Thanks for my Pelorus screen saver!!

Posted by: chloe (---.citramedia.net.id)
Date: January 28, 2009 08:03PM

Thank you so much for this post Dennis.....we consider you a very special
person also.
We have been amazed at how people have responded to our situation and we
look forward to getting back "home" to the friendly island which is made
so friendly by the people who come there.
Bali is a beautiful country but we have missed our friends in St.Maarten
more than anything.
Thanks again,
Chloe

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2009 08:08AM

Cliffhanger is closed, but knowing a lot of home owners of Cupecoye Beach club, I wouldn't take over that place even if they paid me! Not that it is a bad location, the matter of fact is that it is a wonderfull location, but the Cupecoye Beach Club home owner association is a pain in the butt, and their demand and restriction are drastic... They want the place open but usually harrass the operator by prohibiting him to advertise, put sign on the road, want the free chairs, no noise, no smoke, etc... They pushed the last one out because too many people from outside the resort were frequenting the place in their opinion and somehow felt "invaded"... However the place cannot succeed without the outside clientelle and with the sole CBC home owners ones. The lease contract is full of restrictions, I am sure Chloe and Thierry knows that since they knew some of the formers operators... I am confident there are better places for them to restart succesfully a business than the ClifHanger, which IMO will never be really successful if the CBC HO association doesn't changes it's lease contract and attitude toward the operator.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 08:45AM

Ahh....thanks Philippe for that explanation. That is such a shame that the homeowners/management would look to abolish anything good. In one very small way, I could understand their feelings about outsiders "invading" their property but in a large way cannot understand how something that could increase the value of their property and also be the best advertisement for THEM and resale values would be dismissed. This happened on our property and the foolishness of some ignorant people ruined a really good thing for people wanting to enjoy their vacation time without being forced to exit the property for a decent easy meal or a nice relaxing time by the bar.

The Royal Islander has a small poolside bar and restaurant and I have NEVER seen a problem. It only adds to the comraderie of those staying there and actually adds a note of class as well.

What a shame. To me this is their loss when I'm sure it could be handled properly by anyone responsible running it and be an asset to the property.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2009 09:04AM

I do agree with you 100% about that! I never understood their attitude, and like I said, I know many of the owners, talked to them, never understood their logic about this issue...you can't have your cake and eat it!...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 04:29PM

Maybe they should purchase an OLD BUS and find a beach where it could be made into a bar.Or purchase an OLD BOAT and operate another bar/lunch place near the airport.I would try it if I lived on island and couldn't find work in my trade.

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 06:04PM

I love the location and feel of the Cliffhanger but in all the years that we stopped by, it was either empty or the service was terrible.
Shame.

irina

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 01:18PM

Irina, I agree we never found it busy or having anything special expect the location.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2009 01:34PM

and. sad to say. I have never been there eye popping smiley smiling smiley

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 02:16PM

OMG, you're kidding, B!! Finally there's somewhere/something I've been or done on SXM that you haven't? I can't believe it!!

Re: Cliffhangers - it was a great spot with an incredible sunset view but IMHO, that's where the allure ended and as stated by irina, the place was usually empty and the service was bad, even then.

Couple the poor attitude and approach by the staff and management with the lack of signage and convenient parking, it really never had a chance.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: January 31, 2009 03:11PM

I am sure there are a lot of things. you visitors always get to more places than I do LOL

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: carolv (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2009 10:05AM

every time we tried to go to Cliffhangers the guard at the gate told us it was not open until 4 or 5 pm--never got to see it.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |