- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Molly Smith
Posted by: islandbound (200.7.49.---)
Date: February 05, 2009 02:19PM

Phillipe - thank you. That is an enchanting story. I shall look in the cemetery the next time I am in Marigot & report back. Maybe the one in Grand Case right by the point may also yield a clue? I have also been wanting to visit the museum in Marigot. There was an article in the Herald about it relocating a few weeks ago but, of course, I forgot to make a note of the address. Can anyone help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 02:57PM by islandbound.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2009 03:43PM

Which would make Pierre B. also Dee's cousin, or it's a more complicated family story?
Actually all photos were taken by my mom, and she was taking slides at that time, so they must all be in our Family house in France. It is interesting that I remembered this story today, since today is my Mom Birthday...Vicky would tell me that there is no coincidence and that was a sign that my Mom sent me! she would have be 79, I barely can beleive it since she was always so young in my eyes, always looked 15 years younger and was so active.
Wendy, you have a great idea.. I didn't thought about checking names on the graves in Marigot or Gd Case.
The new Museum in Marigot is located close to the Catholic Church, in the former Jail (Historical building)

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2009 04:24PM

Things happen for a reason Philippe
your mother lived such a full life. she died too young but she lived what most of us wouldn't live in 5 lifetimes.
Marge and Pierre have the same dad. Marge's mom was a Cannegieter. We used to tell her she was related to the 2 craziest families on the island LOL

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 05:16PM

What about asking Roger Petit? He's always out on his boat and might know...

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 11:16PM

Thank you Philippe for describing most beautifully, another of your adventures with Mom.

Everything happens for a reason but it's the wise one that keeps his mind open to these signs and then acts on them, because these signs are what keeps us connected to our loved ones and them to us.

I can safely say that you are wise.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: islandbound (200.7.49.---)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:06AM

I was talking to a couple of long time sailing residents last night & although they didn't know the answer they confirmed that there is a fairly large submerged rock just off Pointe Molly Smith. It is about 4' down & has been known to snag more than a few keels in its time! They also mentioned that the rock to the East of Geneve Bay (North East of Guana Key of Pelican) is called Molly Beday. This apparently is the Dutch corruption from the French "Mal Aborde" meaning "bad approach". So maybe "Molly" was just a warning of the rocks & reef off mount Smith....????

Posted by: sxmmmartini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:53AM

It is on the nautical chart confused smiley

[www.sailonline.com]

Posted by: jimandi (---.d01.scpeli.pbtcomm.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 01:08PM

You may be onto something Islandbound The following is from a email I received from my Daughter today.

I've started breaking the names down based on origin and meaning, have found the following information on "Molly"

Origin: Irish
Meaning: Sea Of Bitterness

Posted by: islandgirl49 (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 01:53PM

When you find Pierre, you may hear this same story. My uncle Nel (Gaston Richardson) grew up in Grand Case. He use to tell a story/joke about a local sea captain whose name now escapes me. The captain did not know French very well and use to talk about a set of dangerous rocks known in French as "Mal a borde"
(badly bordered). Please note that my French is also bad, but this is what I remember. The captain would call them instead "Molly by day" and go on to say but "an s.o.b. by night"! That is the only reference I have ever heard to the name "Molly".

Posted by: Pmaddenil (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 07:05PM

Phillipe--I had a mother like that too only we hiked all over central Nevada finding ghost towns that had disappeared. It is to keep the lives of those people alive. They were like us. To see how they lived. It is all so wonderful and a memory for us to keep.

Suzanne

Posted by: Lisa (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 12:30PM

The Old House (0590) 87 32 67 phone

Posted by: Daisy1 (---.range86-151.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 13, 2009 09:40AM

Hi, Sorry to intrude, but I came across Mary Pomeroy on your thread and wondered if you had any stories about her or if your Grandmother remembered her. She seems to have been an interesting local character and wanted to find out more. Thanks

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |