The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Year's trip report 2008/2009 BIGDENX
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.135.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2009 04:56PM

Hey!

Another “mini” trip report from BIGDEN.

Just back after 10 nights of paradise. Stayed in MAHO/SIMPSON BAY at Pelican and private res. on Pelican Key. Pelican now has check in and out at the Marina Residence office. Fast and accurate…finally!

Highlight of the trip was dinner with Barbara and Dee at Mark’s Place. Couldn’t finish the steer on the plate. I could listen to Dee's stories for days!

Best new experience was KARACTER’S on Simpson Bay Beach near Mary’s Boon…can’t say enough about the magic meld of beach bar and upscale style dining on the beach. Everything about it was great including the complimentary beach chairs we used 3 times. Diet coke in a glass with LIME…YES! ( planes everywhere..O.K. ! )

TOPPER’S both locations are still the best buy for home style dining at reasonable prices. EVERYBODY on the Island should learn how Topper and Melanie Daboul run brilliant businesses with excellent service, good entertainment and top notch food and drink. Their staff are examples of how it can be done RIGHT..every one personable and on top of their tasks.

Guy’s DRIFTWOOD BAR at North MAHO again our hangout since the sun has set on the place at the other end of the beach. Parking limited but I walk. Guy filled me in on his SXM life and history…get him talking; it’s a trip!

Plane action and photo ops non pareil this year with daily biz jet action and Jimmy Buffet captured in his Grand Caravan 208B. My eyes are sore from taking pics!

Gypsy Kings concert a winner at TIJUANA in Simpson Bay. Julio from TOPPERS the most entertaining MC since Charo…

Voted for the “BEST OF” 2008 bartender category and gave Wanda from Buccaneer the check mark. Buccaneer was another haunt of choice and the $6.00 rib basket is BEST DEAL on the Island.

A note to those walking along the ‘strip” in Simpson Bay. There were a number of horrible accidents involving cars and people on the street. There is little room to walk late at night, both drivers and pedestrians may be tipsy and it’s DANGEROUS. Don’t assume anybody can see you on the street. There’s no easy answer to the issue.

Oh yeah…we went to Marigot for breakfast one day and arrived in time for lunch…one and only trip to the French side.

This trip we were lucky to meet Barbara, Dee, Brigitte, Cindy, Heather, Roger, Kevin, Alex and others who made our New Year’s even better and truly unforgettable. Thanks for the good company.

Oh...almost forgot..what happens at Red Piano stays at Red Piano.>grinning smiley< HEINEKEN next...only a few weeks!

Denis & Michele

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Year's trip report 2008/2009 BIGDENX
Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 05:53PM

Sounds like a great trip and I couldn't agree more with your comments re B & D - I, too, could listen to the island stories all night long.

Thanks for sharing your trip - it seems like forever till 'my turn' again....

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2009 06:08PM

Dee's one of the old timers now on St. Maarten LOL
you know, the elders of the village LOL

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 07:02PM

Thanks sooo much Denis for your trip report. Very entertaining and I hope we'll get to see some of those pics too! Did you say that you saw JB fly in?

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2009 07:07PM

yea, where are the pics?
Happy new year Vicki!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: January 06, 2009 07:16PM

Thanks Barb! Same to you and Dee!

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: SXMWendell (---.dsl.covlil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 07:39PM

Great report Denis. Would love to see some pics.

And will see you the first of March.

SXM??? Wendell

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 07:44PM

We're all waiting for your great pics. Thanks for the report.

Posted by: dandbmn (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 09:10PM

Great Report, I will be checking out the Driftwood Bar and Karacter's in a few weeks. Can't wait to see the photos.

Thanks for the report...

dandbmn

Date: January 06, 2009 09:21PM

Hey Y'all !

Thanks for reading the New Year's stuff...we had one of the best ever vacations in 7 years thanks to a lot of companionship and activity at the Princess.

Getting a freebie website up this week and will share a lot of my best of the Holidays. Need to process and clean them up before I let them out....Michele does the same with me...

Denis

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 12:07AM

BIGDENX
what happens at Red Piano stays at Red Piano.>grinning smiley<
Huh, must have been something w/ that pole......smoking smiley

Looking forward to ALL the pics!

57 days until Heineken Regatta..... smiling bouncing smiley

peace smiling smiley

Date: January 07, 2009 01:18AM

Hey A !

There's a brass plaque at the base of the pole waiting to be inscribed. With your experience as a part timer at Platinum I'm almost certain we'll see your name engraved. I'll be your agent as 15% of what can get stuffed into a duct tape G string could make my next trip profitable....

Here's a few pics, experimenting with a little web site, hope it works! Lots more to come on the site.

[bigdenx.webs.com]

Denis

Date: January 07, 2009 06:21AM

Beautiful photos Denis!!! Thank you so much for sharing them. Is there a way to slow down the slideshow? I couldn't read the captions and look at the photos fast enough.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: January 07, 2009 08:29AM

Hey!

First attempt at a web site so I gotta learn as well...to slow press the OPTIONS button on lower right of slide show page. You can then use the slider to adjust the screen or go full page.

Denis

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 09:43AM

Hey, Thanks for the report & photo's.We enjoyed many of the same restaurants & bars during our trip a few wks ago too. Plus meeting Barbara at Mark's was the best part of our trip.We talked about changing our plans to Christmas/New Years while having Toppers Thanksgiving dinner special.After seeing your photo's maybe we'll come back for the holidays this yr.Our last vacation on SXM during the holidays was 18 yrs ago and I'm looking forward to the change. Thanks again. 35 days till SXM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 12:07PM by BobP.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |