The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

It's still a Friendly Island! cool smiley
Posted by: SportFishCruiser (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 01:00PM

As you may tell from my name, I am really into Sport Fishing and Cruising by power boat. I had the pleasure of visiting St. Maartin the first week of December 2008 as part of my research as I am looking forward to being an Expat from Canada. My trip there involved studying and touring the island to see if it's a place I'd enjoy living at and also to analyse a local boat chartering business. I was very impressed by the island, I surveyed the stores for provisions and costs and found everything I would possibly need at reasonable pricing including very good choice of groceries, clothing and very well stocked Marina Stores and Boat Yards. I didn't look into furniture as I intend to live on a boat and perhaps try to do house/villa sitting for security purposes for absent owners.
I went almost everywhere on the Island, stayed in Philipsburg and wondered through it's shops and along the beach. Traveled the island daily taking in Simpson's Bay,those people are crazy getting blown into the water by the jets,and I really enjoyed having drinks and lunches along the waterfront and seeing all the Mega Yachts. Marigot is a very nice area but I found Grand Case more charming and to my liking. I also studied all the marinas on the island and found that Anse Marcel is perfect for my style of living. I toured the rest of the island inland and also offshore with swimming in Happy Bay and eye goggling at Orient Bay. I found the island and the water absolutely beautiful and everyone I met (and I met alot of people) were very friendly, helpful and spoke very positively about the island.
I've read this forum pretty thoroughly and yes, currently there is alot of concern about criminal activity and economics. Coming from my area in Canada which is relatively very safe (I don't even lock my doors at night) this was a major concern for me. But I have studied other islands in the Carribean with the same intention of immigration and I find that the risks on St. Maartin are not as bad as other islands and not to far from the norm of any major city. The economic situation is a bigger concern at the moment as a possible tourist business owner and how that might impact upon greater criminal activity. However, during my stay there I did feel safe, saw lots of police presence and even got a ticket for going the wrong way on a one way street to beat the bridge traffic...lol...don't tell me you guys don't do that too.
I've applied for my Directors License while I was there, if it is approved that will lead the way towards my Work/Residence Permit and then I hope to be able to take you all cruising in the deep blue seas or enjoy a drink along the waterfront. smileys with beer Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone!
PS: For direct comments or questions the following is my email addy - sportfishcruising@hotmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It's still a Friendly Island! cool smiley
Posted by: tropicalgirl (---.ontera.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 03:35PM

Hope things work out...all the best to you. Merry Christmas

Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: December 29, 2008 07:32AM

Good Luck...Keep us posted....always nice to see a fellow Canadian getting out of the snow!!!

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2008 09:57PM

Good luck with your permits and relocation. Thanks also for giving a honest and somewhat analytical survey of SXM. Many of us who visit regularily agree with your findings.

Posted by: chbpod (---.154.206.32.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: January 01, 2009 10:31PM

Well of people in Simpson Bay were getting blown into the water by Jets--you may want to take another tour and get your bearings straight-- try Maho-- chbpod

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |