The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Shipping furniture/household items
Posted by: tropicalgirl (---.ontera.net)
Date: November 13, 2008 10:55PM

HI.. was wondering if people do in fact ship their personal items to the island(St.Maarten)? I know by reading and looking at real estate , that a large number of places come furnished. But would it be less expensive to ship than have to buy all things new? I also wonder what the cost would be if anyone knows off hand ( for a smaller sea container) before I check with a shipping company.Thanks a bunch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping furniture/household items
Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 17, 2008 12:22PM

We shipped all our furniture to SXM from New York and it was much cheaper than buying everything new. Plus it was better quality.
We used Tropical Shipping and had an LCL, which is Less than a Container Load.
Our stuff went from NY to Florida by cargo train then overseas by ship.
Load is charged by Cubic Sq Ft. It was very easy to figure out if you get new, identically sized boxes. Highly recommend Tropical Shipping.

NOW, from SXM to the USA was a total rip off. They quoted one price which I agreed with having done it before and recalculating my load back. Plus I had sold all my furniture in SXM.
They sent some guys over that stuffed paper in the boxes and wrapped plastic things and inflated the load. Triple the charge we were quoted. AFTER they had our stuff they showed up at hotel for cash! \
Good Luck!
Irina

Posted by: Dane (---.50.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 10:30PM

I have shipped a number of times with Caribtrans. A full 20 ft. container runs about $2500 plus insurance. LCL runs $2.50/m3 plus roughly $50 Bill of Lading fee, plus 1.1% insured value. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the company both in their Miami and SXM offices.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2008 07:08AM

good company

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: In the know (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 10:34PM

Hope you are not asking about shipping furniture for your home because I think you may not be there long. You guys should have stayed out of Royal Palm because now you have brought attention to yourself & your business. You are being watched very carefully & when the time is right look out.

EDITED BY THE MODERATOR

In the know... who are you talking too and do we have to considerate this as a thread? Do you also know that your IP adress is very easy to trace down to your computer and then to your own identity, which we are working on right now since we have some records of your posting informations, including your email adress registered at aol.com which would have the obligation to release your informations if your post is considerate as "threatening"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 07:46AM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: tropicalgirl (---.ontera.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 09:50PM

Who is this person talking about? How silly is this?

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |