| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

SXM Pride press release
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2008 07:46PM

Press release from St.Maarten PRIDE-plastic bag litter
Today at 6:57am
PRESS RELEASE: TO ALL MEDIA
Reference: PLASTIC BAGS RULE ON ST.MAARTEN BEACHES

The data result for the International Coastal Cleanup has been finalized and the facts are astounding.
On Dutch side St.Maarten, volunteers cleaned and inventoried trash from five beaches, Mullet Bay Beach, Guana Bay Beach, Simpson Bay Beach, Great Bay Beach and Belair Beach. The International Coastal Cleanup data card provided a separation of bags into plastic and paper; this being done for the first time is to track how many of each category is littered on our beaches as well as coastlines around the world.
The results show that littered plastic bags far outweigh paper bags on our beaches.
The results between paper and plastic bags are as follows;
Mullet Bay Beach
Paper 1078
Plastic 2091
Guana Bay
Paper 44
Plastic 159
Great Bay Beach
Paper 52
Plastic 119
Simpson Bay Beach
Paper 95
Plastic 241
Belair Beach
Paper 76
Plastic 93
As the campaign continues on St. Maarten to place a ban on plastic bags given out for free at grocery outlets and fast food outlets, St. Maarten PRIDE foundation places urgency on our business community and our government to acknowledge that our island has to own up to the fact that our business sector and consumers are responsible for the large amount of flimsy plastic grocery bags in our natural environment.
Flimsy grocery plastic bags are polluting our streets, our ocean and waterways, and too often are stuck to our trees and cacti, causing visual pollution
St. Maarten consumers should become more socially responsible by taking their own re-usable bags when they do their grocery shopping. Large supermarkets should be taking the lead as has been done in Curacao by banning plastic bags in their stores and encouraging the use of canvas, cloth, jute, straw and other shopping bags that are re-usable. Plastic bags kill our marine wildlife such as our sea turtles, dolphins and marine birds like our National bird the Brown Pelican.
Plastic bags do more harm to our environment than the 20 minutes of usage consumers get out of them for carrying their groceries. In addition, plastic bags remain for hundreds of years in our landfills as they are not biodegradable.
This St. Maarten/St. Martin day, our foundation is asking all St. Maarten/St. Martin residents to take time to reflect on our natural environment, take time to reflect on what makes our island such a special place, our Great Salt Pond, our Beaches, The Simpson Bay lagoon, our national trees, our national birds such as the brown pelican, our endangered sea turtles and the free swimming dolphins in our waters. Make a conscientious effort to create changes in your daily life that can have a positive effect on our natural environment. While we encourage everyone to enjoy our beaches on St. Maarten/St. Martin day, we hereby ask all residents and visitors not to leave litter behind at the beaches.

Jadira Veen
St. Maarten PRIDE foundation

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SXM Pride press release
Posted by: Elaine (---.63-161.caribserve.net)
Date: November 11, 2008 06:01AM

I hope they win the battle to ban the plastic bags! Pulled two of them out of Le Galion beach yesterday. UGH.

And before you all flame me, I understand that's NOT St Maarten.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2008 07:23AM

hey Elaine, what's good for one side of the island is good for the whole island

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Mary (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 11, 2008 12:30PM

We use cloth/canvas bags at home so I'm thinking I should brings these along for our 2 weeks in January
Best regards
Mary

Posted by: Elaine (---.60-25.caribserve.net)
Date: November 12, 2008 06:22AM

You're right about that Barbara.

Mary - I used to pack a couple, they don't take much room. I am seeing more and more folks using them in the grocery stores.

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 12, 2008 12:51PM

Those old fashioned string bags are great. You cannot believe how much stuff you
can stash in them. I used to use them in NYC to go to the Farmer's Market.
You can get them at Home n Tools.
Cheers
irina

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |