- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Restaurant reviews
Posted by: gert (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2008 06:53PM

I finally got around posting our restaurant reviews on our 'food' page [gobeach.com]

Here they are, some are familiar to many, other places might be (hopefully) new to some:

# Restaurant Reviews by Gert and Annemariek [November 9, 2008]

"This summer we spend three weeks on St.Maarten, having 2 six-year olds limited our restaurant experience, resulting in more take-out. Finally finished writing up some of our highlights, not in a specific order:
Big Fish, Oyster Pond - the food is very nice. Excellent seafood. We only had take out but we heard that the service is not that great.

Captain Oliver's, Oyster Pond - the restaurant has been here for years, but now has a new manager, Philippe (who is also a moderator on the Friendly Island Forum). He told us in August that a new exciting menu will be introduced soon. We had lunch here and it was very tasty. Nice place to sit on the water. It is also great for kids since they have a turtle, some sharks and lots of fish swimming around.

Mama Pizza, Oyster Pond - Local pizza place. Very nice outside restaurant (there are no awnings or anything, so don't go on a rainy night). Good thin crust pizza but also have some non-pizza dishes. Great for kids as long as they know that they have stay away from the road.

Surinamese Food Truck, Pond Fill Road, Philipsburg. This is one of the food trucks on the Pond Fill side of Pond Fill Road in Philipsburg. It is located close to the Heineken plane. The food is excellent, esp. the sate with peanut sauce. It is more a take-out place for lunch. They usually close by 3 or 4 depending on when the food has run out.

Safari Grill, Orient Square, French - Surprisingly one of our best meals on the island. I had a 'prime rib' which was cooked like a steak, very tasty. Very nice sauces and great wine. On the Square are many other restaurants, some French, some pizza, some mixed and a 'Thai' food place. No problem to bring kids, they can just run around on the Square while you enjoy your gourmet dinner. On the same square Cote Plages and La Chapelle were also recommended.

Lal's Indian Food, opposite the Airport. If you have a graving for Indian food this is the place to go. They also have some nice Belgian beers (don't drink them like Heinekens or Presidentes!.

Mullet Bay Beach. Local Food. There are two beach bars at Mullet Bay. We visited the green one a couple times. Great barbeque. Very good ribs. Not expensive.

Lolo's Grand Case. Local Food. Most of the food is 'a la carte' so a great opportunity to try some local food like Johnny Cakes, Acras, plantain (banana), crab backs. Or for a great local sitdown dinner Yvette's in Orleans is also great.

Toppers (formerly Banana's), Simpson Bay. We had lunch and dinner take out. Good food. Nice prime rib and good brisket. The waitress adored our kids :-)

Pineapple Pete, Simpson Bay. Tasty food, burgers, wraps, salads. We went there for lunch. Kid friendly (they can keep the 'plate').

Buccaneer Bar, Simpon Bay, next to the Atrium. Nice hangout for happy hour. Friendly people behind the bar. Live music saturday night. They serve food as well, ribs, fish, burgers and pizza. Kid friendly.

Saint Severin, Marigot. Traditional French food, off the beaten track, when you drive into Marigot from the Dutch Side, turn left at the first roundabout and you will find it on your right, across from the Pharmacy. There is a new owner but the food is still really tasty. Although they don't have a kids menu they can whip up some food for them. You can sit outside next to the kitchen windows if you like, and talk to the chef directly.

Madinina, Nettle Bay. Excellent local food, excellent curries. If you are nice he might let you try some of his best rum! (Ti-Punch)

Uncle Harry's, Airport Road. If you like lobster/seafood, this is a fun place to bring kids as well. It is local, not Maine, lobster, cooked in Uncle Harry's special 'secret' way, which makes the meat just cooked right! It is on a boat in the lagoon and Uncle Harry will be more then happy to show the kids the Lobster pots that are hanging overboard."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Restaurant reviews
Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 09, 2008 07:21PM

Gert,
Hi! I'm Irina.
What? Saint Severin has a new owner? What happened? Did they change the menu that has been there forever? We love that place. Let us know.
Glad you found kid friendly places.
Cheers
irina

Date: November 09, 2008 09:28PM

Hi Irina,

New, new... what is new. It's new for us, so he might have been there a year or two or more...

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2008 10:17PM

Thank you Gert for a wonderful array of food places and reviews, some of which have never been mentioned before on any sites I have frequented. It sounds like you had a nice time.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2008 08:07AM

Gert
I see you found some of my favorite places..my secret spots..LOL
they aren't secret any more I guess LOL

I am one of those who loves St. Severin too.
and the Surinamese foor truck..
ooh la la
the best!

Madinina I have never tried..that is one I will have to check out

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: November 10, 2008 11:52AM

Sorry Barbara, didn't know they were your favorites too :-)

That's so great and unique about the island, so many types of cuisines because of the many different cultures.

You can eat Dutch food at the Holland House on the Boardwalk, like 'bitterballen' and if in season the Dutch sushi (new herring). Indonesian food at Wajang Doll. Just plain high quality steak, lots of outstanding French cuisine of course, with fresh food flown in directly from France, 'local' Caribbean food from Lolo's or other little roadside places, seafood from a fresh fish on a barbeque at a beachbar to nicely served in a restaurant, etc.etc.

Something for everyone, ranging in price from cheap to expensive while still tasting great, for adults and kids alike!

Posted by: Todd (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2008 10:26PM

We will be there soon, and Lal's which is on your list is our favorite place. It is very good and a excellent bargain. Chicken Tikka about $8.50, Spinich Chicken or Curry Chicken about $7.50, garlic nan and rice and we are still under $20 for two of us. Add a few $3 rum and cokes and conversation with Lal and we are in heaven.

We will with out a doubt try some of the other places on this next trip. We want to do our best to hit the bargain island places.

Thanks for your list,
Todd

Posted by: SXMSeashell (57.67.16.---)
Date: November 14, 2008 01:53PM

i want to try Yvette's in Orleans but I can never find it. Can someone please give me driving directions from Flamingo Beach in Simpson Bay area? Thanks!

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 02:11PM

Drive into Orleans and look for the Gess Sta. Coming from OB turn right I recall at the sta and look for Yvette's.good luck. ................................How about Mark's Place for good food & prices.

Posted by: Rosemarie Kraeger (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 15, 2008 10:04AM

Le Taitu in the cul de sac French side is great.

Posted by: roadrunner (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2008 04:39PM

In Orleans make a right at the cemetery coming from Grand Case

Posted by: Clem (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 05:45PM

Hi Gert. I had always thought that Uncle Harry's was locaten on a barge also. We had dinner there earlier this year and learned different. We met Uncle Harry there and had quite a conversation with him. The restaurant is actually sitting on top of the bow of the boat used in the movie Speed 11 which portions of which were filmed in Saint Martin. It is not floating. Just alittle tid bit of information. Clem

Posted by: divedive2 (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 06:53PM

Hi, from Flamingo/Simpson Bay----------Down to the "hollywood" sign---and turn right---------to the "T" to Philipsburg-------to pondfil Rd.---to sucker Garden Rd and turn left-------follow signs to Orient----when you enter "Orleans" look for the Gess gas station on the LEFT and turn LEFT at the first street past Gess....GREAT FOOD!!!

Posted by: tom2 (---.msn.com)
Date: November 23, 2008 06:34PM

please tell me more about big fish, safari grill and ti bouchon.also is big fish at the entrance to captain olivers? what are the prices etc. i love yvette and their island cooking and especially their prices and ambiance. felix is great and his prices excellent. tell me about the 3 above please. ps there used to be a big fish in orient village ( maybe le fish) that was pretty good. is the fish anything like that. they had a great swordfish osso bucco for about 11 bucks. but they are not there now. did the safari grill take over there?

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2008 07:13PM

I believe that Big Fish is located at the entrance to Oyster Bay Beach Club. I believe I saw it on the left as we were heading to the gate of the resort.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |