The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Omar - Need Updates
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.135.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2008 02:29PM

Hey!

Put 011 ahead of this number. If their phones are up they should answer.

599-545-7000

Denis

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: christie ferguson (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 09:14PM

hi was just wondering if anyone heard how the la vista beach resort made out. any news would be great
thanks

Posted by: GaKaye (195.46.229.---)
Date: October 19, 2008 09:54AM

Just heard from Andrea. LaVista Beach is fine. They had some sand and salt water in the pool but no other damage. They got their power and internet back on Saturday.

Posted by: RoseMary (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 02:46PM

Just wondering about damage to Phillipsburg and the Bel Air/Little bay area? received some pictures and was wondering if it is as bad as the photos show. Thanks for and info. RoseMary

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 03:55PM

According to one report, Philipsburg did get hit but it seems, based on the brief posting that it wasn't as bad as the hotels that got hit. I would assume there is a major cleanup of sand from the boardwalk as I write this and I believe I heard that the water may have reached front street but because no one has really reported much on that part, I will tend to believe that it is only a matter of cleanup vs severe damage. At least I hope that this is the case. Maybe someone can expound in this further.

Belair, Divi, and Little Bay did get hit very hard and I will assume they will be doing some major repairs. Being that these are places of residence, they will either be closing off sections or clsoing entirely in order to fix the situation. If you go there for vacation, it would be smart to call them or check their website for news if they have one.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: lucy minichino (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 07:17PM

I have plans to arrive on nov.2, staying at the royal islander. Now that it is closed my husband and I are not sure if we should still come there and try to find other accomodations.

Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 07:13AM

Find other accomodationsn first. If you don't have it booked before you arrive, the immigration folks will NOT be happy!

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 07:55AM

Call RI now and ask their recommendation. If they tell you to find a place elsewhere, do it or cancel your trip. If they say they are not sure yet, then wait a few days to see what they come up with in a timeline of repairs. My guessimate is that you will need to start looking.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 07:58AM

We received this message from Nina Persaud at Royal Islander:
The Royal Islander Club, La Plage sustained extensive damages during the passing of category 3 Hurricane Omar on October 15th through October 16th. Due to the extensity of these damages, Royal Islander Club, La Plage will not be operational until further notice.
While we understand that you have made arrangements to use your home weeks at La Plage, please be advised that we cannot accommodate you at this time.
Please make alternative arrangement for your accommodation and we will keep you updated on the status of La Plage.
Hurricane Omar incurred an extensive amount of damage to all of the first floor units as well as the landscape and pool. Theses damages are being evaluated and we will update you when the resort will be operational. We thank you for your understanding whilst we work to restore the resort back to operation.

We were scheduled to fly JFK-SXM Nov 2 to Nov 16th using FF miles. Since we can't use our two weeks at Royal Islander, we decided to cancel the tickets yesterday. The AA rep was very nice, and after checking with the help desk, she re-banked our FF miles, and credited the $58 charges back to our credit card. There was no penalty. We've been pretty bummed about the whole situation and at least things went better than I expected.

Pauline

Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 09:07AM

Any reason you didn't just get another room?

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 09:47AM

It wasn't an easy decision to cancel. We love the Royal Islander, and didn't really want to stay somewhere else. Also, one week at RI was one we own, and the other was bought as an "extra" week on RCI for $665. They (RCI) will only issue a voucher, they won't return the money. So, hopefully I can get an "extra" week at the Royal Islander next year to add to my week. I tried depositing this year's week 45 into RCI and I don't know if they accepted it or not. RCI is probably waiting to see if it continues to be closed through that time. It doesn't show up as a banked week for me.. yet...

We'll be alright.

Pauline

Posted by: SXMSeashell (57.67.16.---)
Date: October 20, 2008 01:59PM

Can anyone tell me about the damages incurred at Flamingo Beach Resort? Our unit is on the second floor at The Point. Heard that unit 7101 was 'wiped out'. Was wondering the condition of the rooms above that unit.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share as I plan to be there in a couple of weeks.

Posted by: RockGoddess (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 06:00PM

Ok...how did I not hear how bad Omar would be on our US weather reports?!

We are supposed to fly down this Saturday 10/25 ... I realize everyone is asking you kind people "in the know" for news, but has anyone heard about The Towers? As to whether they and the pool are operational?

I now know why when I tried to call last weekend, there was no answer! sad smiley

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2008 06:36PM

I believe the Towers is fine and I also believe they were having phone problems even before the hurricane
as far as US weather reports, they never cover the islands accurately.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: karabas (---.painewebber.com)
Date: October 24, 2008 04:53PM

hi, any info on the condition at Sapphire will be appreciated. thx.

Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |