| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Omar - Need Updates
Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 03:21PM

Thank you Irina. So very sad.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jkaye (---.dsl.cavtel.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 04:39PM

How about Orient Bay....We have a house in the village. I can not get in touch with our friends. Hope our house is still their!!!!

Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 04:47PM

All reports from the Orient area are there is little to no damage.

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 04:52PM

Oh, My.......so sad. Barbara must be going mad!! Hopefully, there's a good supply of wine, that's what I'd need being stranded in the house with hubby!winking smiley!!>grinning smiley<

smileys with beer Contessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2008 04:53PM by contessa.

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 05:15PM

Mrs T's and vodka! Plus Heinies. LOL And I checked. They were stocked!

Posted by: jkaye (---.dsl.cavtel.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 05:16PM

thanks elaine, I saw one message of 30ft. waves maybe in Marigot. I hope not Marigot was looking so good. But there is always alot of sailboats around.

Keep our fingers cross.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2008 05:39PM

Orient is fine. barely impacted

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 06:02PM

P,
they don't believe you.
i

Date: October 16, 2008 06:37PM

about?

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 16, 2008 06:41PM

STATEMENT FROM THE Lt GOVERNOR OF St MAARTEN :

Press statement #3

Hurricane Omar – Thursday, October 16th, 2008 12.30PM

Emergency Operations Center (EOC) – Chairman Franklyn Richards

On Thursday morning October 16th the Emergency Operations Center members met under the Chairmanship of my person to discuss the state of affairs on the island after the passing of Hurricane Omar.

Together with the Disaster Coordinator, Fire Chief Winston Salomon, all Emergency Support Function groups were requested to present a preliminary report on their specific responsibilities and agencies since the passing of Hurricane Omar which was a category three system passing approximately 55 miles from the island during the early morning hours.

Public Works Clean-Up

The Public Works department has commenced an extensive island-wide clean-up effort, which concerns the removal of fallen trees, tree branches, rocks, sand and mud from the road network system. First priority is the main roads, which will also be used to transport all the storm debris and refuse to the landfill. Areas of concern are Pointe Blanche, Beacon Hill, around the Fresh Pond, Simpson Bay amongst other residential areas.

Schools

Schools are to remain closed on Friday. In consultation with the Commissioner of Education, an assessment of all public schools will be carried out on Friday. Additional information will be made available on Friday as to the recommencement of classes.

Electricity

NV GEBE has been able to maintain the power supply until the early hours of this morning. Due to the fact that the inlet of the cooling system at the Cay Bay Power Plant is being blocked by sea weed and sand and the generators could not function at full capacity and had to be shut down totally this morning. Crews are busy cleaning up the inlets related to the intake of the cooling system and once this has been resolved GEBE will be able to restart the power plant as soon as the high sea swells subside.

Water Service

Water service throughout the island has been suspended due to the high sea swells at Cay Bay which have been affecting the water intake system. Once sea conditions improve water service will resume to the various districts.

The island has two days of potable water stored in a number of water storage tanks throughout the island. Once electricity service comes back online in the Cupecoy area, the water plant at that location will be restarted and will produce approximately 3500 m2 per day.

The Cay Bay Water Plant is presently out of service due to the lack of electricity. Once electricity service is resumed to the aforementioned plant, the latter will be able to produce approximately 8000 m3 at start-up and should be back to full production capacity on Friday barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Airport

Due to the sea high swells rocks and sand have been dumped on the runway of the Princess Juliana International Airport runway. Part of the security/safety fence has also been damaged. Crews are busy cleaning up the runway and repairing the fence in order to be able to meet all international safety aviation requirements. Repair crews are working diligently to get the airport open as soon as possible. The airport is scheduled to reopen on Friday morning.

Seaport

The Port of St. Maarten harbour facilities have sustained some damage. The cruise area suffered some minor cosmetic damage. A number of cargo containers were shifted at the cargo storage area due to the heavy winds. Once the seas subside an underwater investigation will be carried out to assess the underwater situation at the cruise and cargo piers. Once the all clear is given, cargo and cruise ship services will resume.

Public Health

Sector Health Care Affairs has reported that there are no major injuries as far as can be ascertained at this point in time. Once the family physician clinics reopen, additional information will become available about possible injuries sustained during the passing of Hurricane Omar. The sector is stressing to observe cleanliness and a hygienic situation during the clean-up effort, to avoid any injuries.

Law & Order

The Police are being assisted by members of the VKS and the Royal Dutch Marines to maintain public safety in the execution of the island-wide curfew. It has been observed the public is not adhering to the curfew, which has been extended to 2.00 PM today Thursday October 16th. The Lt. Governor is urging the population to adhere to the curfew until 2.00PM.

Fire Dept.

The Fire Department has been assessing the general situation on the island since sunrise and assisting with the clean-up operation such as cutting trees, cleaning roads etc. Some main areas of concern are: Beacon Hill, Belair Hillside, Point Blanche, Guana Bay, Dawn Beach, Lowlands and the Cupecoy area.

Conclusion

I would like to reiterate that a formal damage assessment report still has to be compiled in order to have a complete assessment of the total damages sustained from the passing of Hurricane Omar.

I would like to commend persons who have been cleaning up their surroundings and placing debris and refuse at garbage disposal areas and in bins. Please do continue to do this as all hands are needed on deck to quickly clean-up the island. Please be aware that a curfew remains in place until 2.00PM.

I must also use this opportunity to commend the nation for heeding the warnings that were given to prepare for Hurricane Omar. Our emergency support services and first responders have been working diligently before, during and after the passing of Hurricane Omar. I commend them for their outstanding work so far.

We can consider ourselves blessed having been spared the wrought of this system which turned into a major category three hurricane. We must be thankful to the Lord Almighty and go to church this weekend and praise him for having spared our island nation.

In conclusion, an additional update will be provided later this afternoon as it pertains to our recovery operations and clean-up efforts.

Thank You

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Michelle (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 07:32PM

Does anyone know what the damage was to Royal Islander La Terrasse?

Posted by: dcarol (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 08:48PM

I think only La Plage, R.March sent this to me that he received from the mgmt at RI:

Last night we had OMAR hit the island not as a tropical storm as we all expected but as a cat 3 Hurricane.
WE sustained extensive damages, the pool(totally gone), the beach, Tortuga , all untis on the first floor extensively damaged, The place is not safe so Mnagement has decided to closed until further notice as of Sunday Oct 19th. we will know by next week hopefully for how long after the Insurance co. has assesed the damages. I will keep you updated"

Posted by: enzolarosa (---.clienti.tiscali.it)
Date: October 16, 2008 10:35PM

Hope that you guys feared ok. I was checkin on my PC and I saw Omar taking a nasty turn towards sxm at the very end.

At any rate the core passed far enough not impact the island directly with its strongest winds,but by the course of the hurricane the island must have take on very high waves on its south shores.

On th epositive note I noticed that Omar was moving Norteast rather fast and not as slow as the two horrible hurricanes I witnessed, Luis & Lenny.

Please, I would like to receive news as well. Thank you Enzo

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 17, 2008 01:14PM

Just talked to Barbara. She's doing ok, just going a little stir crazy. She's going through a bit of internet withdrawal and is dying to get online! grinning smiley LOL

She said they weathered the storm ok. She slept though most of the storm but woke up at 3:30 am when the sound was pretty terrifying (this was the same time our caretaker called to say they had evacuated into our back cottage).
She said the storm stopped suddenly at 5am. It went from hurricane to clear weather all of a sudden. She said it was so strange.

They spent the day cleaning up around the property yesterday. And, as Irina mentioned, Dee cleaned the driveway last so B wouldn't go out driving around to check things out. She did venture out to Grand Marché. But, other than that she's going crazy sitting at home. She plans on going out to find WiFi this afternoon. So, look for her posting by later today!

peace smiling smiley

Posted by: LBI2SXM (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2008 02:17PM

Has anyone heard if MarysBoon has had any damage? We are scheduled to stay there in 4 weeks and have not read anything about the hotel as yet. I tried e-mail but no response. Thanks.

Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |