The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Omar - Need Updates
Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 12:33PM

Just got off the phone with a friend who lives in Cole Bay.

Some trees down. Road flooded. No water, no power. GEBE says water perhaps Saturday. No word on power. There is a curfew until 4pm, so they have been unable to get out and about.

He's heard from friends:

Simpson Bay has water across the road, Kim Sha beach has taken over alot of SImpson Bay. Buccaneer Beach Bar has lots of sand and needs a dig out. All employees are fine. Picante has lost all the stuff on the beach, even tho they tried to put it all away. Sea water in the pool at Atrium.

So far, everyone's save.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.135.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 12:39PM

Hey!

Andrea and LaVista are fine. They need to drain the pool, some sand down over the hill,

TOPPERS in Simpson Bay is open for lunch.

Tornados did go through Simpson Bay and some damage.

Sand being removed from full length of runway 09/27. TNCM will be open tomorrow; no flights today so far.

SSBG deck etc. gone, Bliss and Bernie's big time as well as Caravanserai ground floors damaged.. Beacon Hill is still inaccessible due to sand on road.

Driving through Simpson Bay is slow and curfew on until 2 P.M.

Old news by now, but direct from the ever friendly Andrea at La Vista.

Will be seeing her next Sat.

As of about 10 minutes ago internet on Dutch side is down.

Denis

Posted by: GaKaye (195.46.229.---)
Date: October 16, 2008 12:44PM

Thanks for that info, Denis! I'm assuming that the pool they need to drain is the one on the beach, not the infinity pool up the hill. Anyway, glad to hear they didn't sustain too much damage, and more importantly, that all the people are safe.

Posted by: LBI2SXM (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 12:57PM

Any news on Marys Boon? Nothing mentioned on any of the other forums. If the runway has sand all over, I can't imagine what Marys Boon is like.

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 01:07PM

Denis,

There was no mention of Royal Islander? Over on TTOL an "ANON" posted that it was destroyed. This is frightening.

Pauline

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 01:25PM

When were you scheduled to go there Pauline?

Vicki

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2008 01:26PM by John.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2008 01:31PM

Just hang up the phone with Barbara and she is fine. She doesn't have internet and it's why she is not online today, so you can imagine how much she is boiling! Plus some trees are blocking her driveway, and Dee doesn't want to take them out yet, just to tease her little bit , telling her that like that she is not going to run all over the island while there is still the curfew LOL! So she feel kinda trapped right now LOLO... But but but... to compensate, (LOL) she told me that she is on the coach answering calls while she is watching Dee.. cleaning the windows ! LOL... not to bad then! She said that anyone who want to get in touch can call her on her cell phone because landline is down.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 16, 2008 01:44PM

LMAO!!! Hate to laugh but I can imagine Dee doing this. I don't know him personally (only what I've read) but I do know Barbara and I could see her wanting to drive all over.grinning smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 01:44PM

Great news P. Thanks.
I can just imagine this War of the Roses. Too funny.
Cheers
irina

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2008 01:49PM

John, We are scheduled for two weeks from now, Nov 2nd. We're using our week and bought an "Extra" week on RCI.

RBC, from TTOL, wrote that RI is assessing the situation right now.

Pauline

Date: October 16, 2008 02:00PM

RBC is me (I do have many faceseye popping smiley ).... and yes, try calling tomorrow but I would advise you at least start looking elsewhere (as a backup) due to the possible extreme damage to the pool area and lower rooms. If it is as bad as what Lenny did, it will be a while before they fix everything. That is why I contacted my condo staff and advised them to not rent out our 2 weeks in early December...just in case we need to stay there instead.

[www.vrbo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2008 02:01PM by John.

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 02:17PM

Phillipe, thanks for the update on Barbara. I'm sure she is having a ball relaxing on the couch and watching Dee wash windows! LOL. I wonder...will he come to my house and wash mine when he is finished??? grinning smileygrinning smiley

Annie

Posted by: hofstetter (74.7.170.---)
Date: October 16, 2008 02:27PM

Any word on Oyster Bay Resort?

Hope everyone is ok

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2008 02:38PM

Oh yeah... LOL! I think she is making him paying for the fact he locked her inside the house by not clearing up the driveway LOL. I was laughint so hard when she was telling me that on the phone because I could picture the whole thing...LOL

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 02:54PM

I just received this from our friends who are on the island:

"We are staying in the Atrium with a big generator and water tank. We will probably get back on the boat tomorrow. Troops flew in from the Netherlands to enforce a curfew that expired at 10:00 this morning. The Chinese store
across the street, which has no electricity, is giving change in dollar bills and Chiclets for coins. Banks are not open, water and electricity are off, and debris is everywhere. Trees fell on cars and wires, sheet metal
and tile roofs flew everywhere. Some boats have sheet metal wedged in the rigging. The wind was 40
to 50 kts with a lot of twisters. The twisters did the real damage. Many boats in Simpson Bay marina were laid down and pushed under docks where they stayed
for a while. The steel sailboats take out a lot of
concrete from the dock. A very large cat anchored off the marina is in its most stable position, bottoms up. On the French side a lot of sailboats are up on shore. Many waterfront restaurants, piers, and beaches are gone.
Waves were around 30 feet high per Buoyweather. Electric boxes are mostly torn off the docks and laying down or in the water. It will be a while until we have electricity. We were very lucky that Omar stayed in the Anegada Passage. Omar was a category 3 hurricane and the eye passed 35 miles from us which kept the hurricane force winds just off shore. The island is a mess, but the locals are very busy picking trees, large pieces of metal, and boards with nails. A truck with a pressure washer is going from business to business cleaning the mud off the floors. And the electric company is getting wires back up just hours
after the curfew was lifted."

From a TTOL poster............

Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |