The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Help with Banana Vanilla Rum Recipe
Posted by: Boatguy (---.walburg.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 03:56PM

I've tried unsuccessfully to search for a recipe to make the banana vanilla rum. Although I've concocted a recipe that is close, it's not quite perfect. Does anyone have a recipe they would care to share? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with Banana Vanilla Rum Recipe
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2008 05:10PM

This is a recipe from another website, posted by the person with the ID OhDrinkBoy. Hope this helps.

OhDrinkBoy's Banana and Vanilla Rum
Yield: 4 bottles
2 vanilla beans, split in half
3 coarsely cracked black peppercorns
2 cups water
4-1/2 cups sugar
4 bananas, peeled and cut into four pieces (lengthwise so they fit in the neck of the bottle.)
1 pinch of salt
2 (750 ml.) bottles white rum
1 (750 ml.) bottle dark rum
Scrape the vanilla bean to release the seeds. In a large pot mix the vanilla bean pods, seeds, peppercorns, salt, water and sugar together. Bring to a boil on medium high heat until sugar syrup is thick. Add the banana and remove from the heat. When the banana syrup is cool, add the rum. Stir well to incorporate the syrup and the rum. Wash your storage bottles well and make sure they are dry. Place pieces of the fruit and spices in each bottle and top with the flavored rum. Screw cap back on and store until needed.

Drink the rum at room temperature in a small shot. Don’t eat the fruit…it tastes like [censored]. I know it’s tempting, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Boatguy (---.walburg.com)
Date: October 07, 2008 08:57AM

John,
Thanks for taking the time to post the recipe.

Posted by: Jonny (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2012 02:40PM

Thank you so much for this recipe posting. My first batch came out great, but I have since made some more and made some alterations that I think help the rum a little bit. I figured I would post these changes for anyone, like me, who is late to this particular party.

All the process directions are the same, I have just changed the recipe to accommodate for taste and the fact that the amount of sugar in this recipe is absolutely ridiculous and a recipe for hangovers if you have more than one in a night.

NOTE: This recipe makes 4 liters as opposed to the 3 liters from the other recipe, since the cheap rum available to me comes in 1 liter bottles.

Ingredients:

5 fresh vanilla beans
6 coarsely cracked peppercorns (I usually just tap them with a meat tenderizer)
3 1/3 cups of water
3 1/2 sugar/splenda blend (the listed amount of sugar per bottle seemed atrociously bad for the drinker, so I switched to the blend and also cut down on the general amount. this has seemed to be more than enough sweetness for the recipe, and it also cuts down on the syrupiness of the drink if that sounds appealing to you)
4 bananas, peeled and cut into four pieces (lengthwise so they fit in the neck of the bottle.)
1 pinch of salt
2 (1L) bottles white rum
1 (1L) bottle dark rum

Follow the instructions posted by John.

I have read this on other sites, that it is perfectly fine to use cheap, low quality rum. I heartily agree with this sentiment. The first time I tried to make the recipe, the only available dark rum in a store near me was Meyers. While this was delicious and added a nice little something extra, it was way too pricey for what I was trying to accomplish. I make these as gifts for friends and family, so I try to keep the cost down when making several batches at once. If you like the better rum and can afford it, by all means go ahead, but the quality difference, in my mind, doesn't match the quality difference. I hope this could be of some help.

Jonny

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |