The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

A New Toy for Your Desktop
Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 03, 2008 11:01AM

Does anyone out there wish that their desktop photo could change occasionally like the way screensavers work? Weelllll... I have had a program called Incredimail which is a really fun way to send and receive e-mails. It's free and that's what I have been currently using to receive e-mails from my other e-mail address for the last year, so it's very reliable. But I digress....

They now offer a program you can download called PhotoJoy which is a free program which allows you to see whatever photos are on your computer in various ways. I will capture an example of what I am talking about and post it later but the great thing is, I have a folder with just SXM photos and now when I look at my desktop, I see these photos changing right before my eyes, as if it were a screensaver. It's really awesome! I do admit that at first it was a little confusing but I figured out how to apply "toys" to the desktop and also have a nice background with changing photos every 5 minutes.

I know this sounds confusing but well worth it if you are bored at work and enjoy looking at ever changing photos of our beloved island.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A New Toy for Your Desktop
Date: October 03, 2008 11:27AM

OK here is an example of what I am talking about:

This is part of my desktop...

The 3 top right photos change every 5 minutes (I set that time myself). The way the photos are placed on the wallpaper is permanent on that particular design choice but amazingly, when the wallpaper is set on your desktop, their photos are replaced with mine. The three photos one on top of each other can be moved around the desktop and change photos every 10 seconds. The bottom right cube changes every 5 seconds and can also be placed anywhere on the desktop. All are my photos from my computer folder called SXM. The moveable ones are called "PhotoToys" and you can choose from about 8 different types of toys.

Again, this program is free and lots of fun.

PS...You'll also notice that the date is seen in the sand. That changes every day so you always know what day it is.... Now they have to add a countdown date and this program would be absolutely perfect.

I believe that this a Beta Version (in testing period) but seems to work perfectly well.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2008 11:30AM by John.

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2008 01:04PM

Vicki,

My screen saver is a slideshow of photos of SXM taken over the years. Paul did this a long time ago so I really don't know how he set it up. In addition to the SXM photos there are also ones of my grandkids. I love it!

Annie

Date: October 03, 2008 01:12PM

Hi Annie...Well the many choices of screen savers that this program offers (as well) are awesome. I just don't know how to describe the one I chose but there are many choices to pick from and if you put all your photos into one folder, this program captures all of them and are displayed like photos sliding forward toward you and falling off to the sides. Just so hard to describe! You have to see it to believe it.

The desktop wallpaper is what amazed me more since at work we are not supposed to use screensavers because once they kick in, they conflict with one of the major programs we use.

Moving wallpaper is something I was wondering about and how long it would be before someone came up with the idea so now here is my answer.

Regards,
Vicki

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: October 03, 2008 01:19PM

Also, keep in mind that wallpaper is different from screensavers. Wallpaper is what you see in the background of your computer screen with all the icons on top of it. Wallpaper usually doesn't move at all or change in a timed sequence which can get boring after a while. I am always changing the photos to keep it interesting. Screensavers usually pop up after 5 minutes (or whatever you set the time) and they do move but the minute you touch the mouse, it disappears.

So I am amazed at the wallpaper feature that this program offers which keeps changing every few seconds and is seen all the time, as long as you don't have a program opened.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: October 03, 2008 02:31PM

Vicki,

That is true about the difference in wallpaper and screensavers. Unfortunately I know zilch about computers and the only reason I have this slideshow screensaver is because Paul put it here. I really don't understand how he did it especially since the photos are all not in one folder. Some of them are in Adobe and others in the my picture folder. Too bad he did not have them all in one place. I am using one of Paul's computers and that is why I have this slideshow. Now if only I knew how to get rid of 9/10 of the stuff on here which I have no use for!

Annie

Date: October 03, 2008 02:40PM

Arggghhhh... I know what you mean. Half the stuff is probably junk and just cluttering up everything so you can't find anything! Rick's computer, believe it or not, is Windows 98.... Can you imagine what's on that computer???? I don't even bother looking at it...I have my own newer computer and try to keep it neat and clean and that's all I care about at this point.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.135.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2008 05:57PM

Hey!

Quite the toy...gonna try it..I do have a few pics in the hard drive.

Annie...good to see ya...was thinking about you recently and missed your posts.

Denis

Date: October 03, 2008 06:47PM

Hi Denis,

I've been here, just not posting. Hope all is well with you and family.

Annie

Posted by: MelissaG (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 11:38AM

I tried this and boy did it slow my computer down.....I loved how it looked. Even my 19 year old son said "where'd it go?" He thought it was cool too. If you have any suggestions on what I can do to make it faster, please let me know.

Melissa

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2008 11:55AM

Hmmm....don't know the answer to that question because I have a high ram computer at work so it would not affect me as much. The more ram you have in your computer, the better it should work because of the graphics issue. I would say that you should not have the photos change so quickly on the wallpaper. I believe mine change every 5 minutes. Maybe increasing the time will help.

Also, I found that some of the "toys" they have listed don't work as well as the hanging 3-part toy (the one on the left of the photo above). I would avoid the others until they fix them.

This program is right now in Beta stage (testing) so they will improve it as they go along but for now, it really is a cool program. I love how the hanging 3 part toy sways from side to side as you move it around the screen.smiling bouncing smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: MelissaG (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 12:27PM

Yea, I had the 3 tier thing up and the lowest time you can have pictures change was the 5 minutes. I just think I need a new computer....Santa is coming in a couple of months! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out My son also said I need a bigger something too. Oh well, thanks! I'm going to keep that in my favorites because I love it!!

Melissa

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2008 01:30PM

Great! Hope Santa is really good to you...don't forget to tell Santa that:

More ram (memory) is needed when a large amount of graphics are opened and closed during a typical session.

More megahertz is needed when speed is of the importance.

These 2 are the key to a faster computer and one that doesn't run out of memory when opening and closing programs and graphic files.

[www.vrbo.com]

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |