The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

What we did 8/31-9/14
Posted by: MelissaG (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 16, 2008 08:29PM

I'm just going to give the highlights of our trip.

We stayed at the Belair the first week and the Pelican the second. I really love the Pelican. The Belair was just ok with me and I really can't tell you why. We didn't swim at the beach there it was really rough and churned up from the storms. We went to the Gingerbread Cafe for dinner and the Bartender seemed like he was put out to have to wait on us. I think there was maybe 3 other people in there eating. He was not a happy individual at all. We had just gotten there and we were all happy and tried to laugh and joke with him but he wasn't having it.

Our air conditioner leaked and couldn't get anyone to come fix it until the day before we left. We made light of the situation and mopped up the water every time we passed.

We went to Mullet Bay on Monday and it was like glass. Smooth as silk. We went back on Tuesday and I got knocked on my butt twice trying to get out of the ocean. the waves were a little to rough for me and my sister in law. She got knocked over too. Actually there were quite a few people on their fannies that day. I made my husband swim out in the ocean with me at one point because I had so much sand in my bathing suit I was taking it off to get the sand out. OK, I now have my suit off and all the sand is out of it and off of me. Everytime I'd go to put my leg in the hole, my butt would float to the top. I got to giggling and my husband thought I was crazy. When I was straight up and down in the ocean, the ole girls where just a bopping everywhere. We got hysterical. I then had both legs in one whole. It was a mess. Finally I got everything situated in about 15 minutes. Now mind you all, I'm not a small person. It was definately a sight to see.

Wednesday, it rained most of the day. The seas were quite ugly. The beautiful greenish-blue ocean wasn't there. (at Belair or Mullet) It was brown from all the sand churning.
We went to Philipsburg to see what was happening there (not much) and went to Buccaneer for a drink and some pizza.

We drove around the island one day and got stuck in Marigot for 2 hours in traffic. Didn't do that again. We did find the Ma DouDou hut...yay and bought some rum. Now I've been reading about the different flavors and quite frankly, I thought some sounded kind of nasty. Like the Chocolate..I thought gross.....guess what..YUMMY!!!! We sampled them all (what she had out) and I don't think I hade a bad one. We brought back 5 bottles.

We did ride over to Orient Beach, it was kind of early. Everyone was still setting things up, so we just had a beer and left. I do think I seen Phillipe walk down the beach. I've never met the man, but I have read his blog and there was a man who looked exactly like his picture. He was "HOT" too. lol

We also ate at Pegleg's (great surf and turf dinner). Harbor View on the boardwalk...excellent hash browns.
Rosie's at Mullet Bay....her ribs were awesome!
Sunset Bar and grill...not impressed with the food.
We stopped at Carl and Son's bakery in Phillipsburg and got some great breakfast sandwhiches and croissants (love them things).
Oh, we went to a place on the boardwalk..Blue Bitch Bar...and orders these hamburger things, which were vegetarian (green deep fried things). We cracked up. I should have read the menu better. I can't remember where else we ate. Those places just stick out in my mind at the moment.

OH and "Toppers".....great prime rib dinners. And Toppers by the Sea has great breakfasts. He is a very personable man. Very, very, VERY nice man. He also puts on a buffet, show kind of thing. He has a DJ, a guys who sings, a female impersonator who is beautiful and audience participation is fun. I won a free prime rib dinner and boat ride from Simpson Bay to Marigot. It's a long story (funny) I'll get to that later. But anyway....try out them out!

We did a snorkeling trip to Anguilla. That was a great time. Met a lot of fun people. There was one couple there who lives very close to where we do. That was neat.

It's time for me to go home, so I'll finish up either tonight or tomorrow.

Have a good one!!

PLEASE EXCUSE THE TYPING.......

Melissa

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |