The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 9/11....where were you?
Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2008 10:50AM

I was at work (in Petersburg, VA) when someone came in and told me a plane had hit one of the towers. In my mind, I saw a small plane..until they came back and said another one had hit and they were both passenger liners. That's when I realized we were being attacked. We all spent most of the day in and out of the employee lounge watching the TV, and the days afterward glued to the set at home and the internet at work. The skies were so completely clear for the days afterward when all planes were grounded..I had never realized how much of the clouds we saw were really plane contrails. And even though I worked on the second floor of a three story building, for months afterward the sound of a plane nearby would cause my heart to skip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Johnnshell (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 10, 2008 12:42PM

I was at work and a friend called frantic, she said if you have a tv at work go turn it on, we're under some kind of attack. My co-workers and I watched in horror as the reports came in. As I walked back to my desk I thought OMG my sister in laws brother works in Manhattan. The phone lines were jammed when I got a hold of my sister in law she hadn't heard from her brother yet. She called later to say that her brother had gone home and was safe thankfully.

At lunch the same friend came to get me for lunch. NO ONE was out on the streets! I remember her saying the if this is the last meal she ate she wanted it to be with some one she loved. At lunch we reminisced about the trip we had gone to NYC the April before and the pics we had taken of the twin towers from the ferry. We wonder if the fire man I dragged out of a fire house in So Ho for a pic had made it ok. I think of him when ever 9-11 is mentioned and I pray for him and his family.

9-11 is the b-day of another friends son, it happened on his 14th b-day. She came to work and said that "Cody says no will ever forget this day" At 14 he got right.

Posted by: MichaelD (---.dhcp-dynamic.ns.aliant.net)
Date: September 10, 2008 12:59PM

I was on my way to a meeting at the university and all the students were in the lounge watching the big screen. I could not believe my eyes.

When the FAA stopped allowing flights Halifax International Airport became a parking lot and we had 65 planes on the tarmac. All the passengers were put up in peoples homes, arenas, schools. Walmart, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Kent building supplies all pitched in with equipment ie: sleeping bags etc and the grocery stores provided water and food. The restaurants in town all pitched in and were catering to many of the places where there were large groups housed.

And as a city Halifax was amazing pulling together to help all the stranded travelers.

It was an awful awful thing that happened in New York.

It was a very sad day for the world.

Posted by: sxmmmartini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 11, 2008 07:23AM

Kid Reporter remembering September 11

[www2.scholastic.com]

9/11 living Memorial

[www.911livingmemorial.org]

Blood Of Heroes video

[www.fdnylodd.com]

Posted by: Cathy (---.optonline.net)
Date: September 11, 2008 12:25PM

I was on my way to work....looking at the sky and how beautiful the day was...how happy I felt at that moment....we were leaving for St. Martin in 2 weeks on our honeymoon. I was listening to the radio and singing a song about Superman when the story broke. By this time I was in the parking lot at work and saw a friend who's husband worked in that area. She didn't know what was going on and I had to tell her...it was one of the worst moments I have experienced. We ran into work to the gym to watch TV. The place was crowded. I tried calling my husband who was heading into NY and told him to get off the plane. There was this horrific dread and panic that went through my mind. Who did I know who worked there...did they get out? My nephew was working a temp job there but did make it out as he was late to work.

It was one of the scariest days of my life. I thank God everyday that my family were spared and prayed for all the families. We had so many of our neighbors and people we knew who lost loved ones. My husband, a volunteer firefighter on Long Island, was on standby for search. We went to countless funerals.

I am sorry to ramble but it is so important to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice and pray for the families who are missing their loved ones from this terrible day.

Posted by: JohnT (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 11, 2008 12:26PM

Living just outside of NYC, those days and weeks are permanently etched in my head-knew 5 people that we killed that day (3 fireman, 1 cop and 1 stockbroker) Could not reach my daughter for over an hour (she was living in Manhattan and was actually in the subway on her way to work when the first plane hit) Could not leave the TV set for hours and actually watched while the second plane hit-then the Pentagon and immediately thought we were at war. Son is a NYC fireman but was not on duty at the time of the first crash (of course went in right after and ended up digging out bodies for the next few days and months) Could actually see smoke from our home for next couple of weeks. Even after all this time I cannot bring myself to go downtown to that area. Hope it is a horror that will never be repeated anywhere in the world.

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 11, 2008 01:37PM

It was a perfectly gorgeous sunny pre-fall day here in Chicago... almost just like it is once again today. Spending the morning trying to call all my friends in NYC and everyone in Chicago (as the horror was moving westward Chicago seemed like a VERY likely target) to make sure they were getting out from wherever they were. Everyone was ok... some walked 4 hours home to Brooklyn even to do so.

Strangely, my good friend from SXM was in NYC then and had planned on going to the World Trade Center observation deck b/w 8 and 9 am on 9/11 before she left for the airport back to SXM. For some reason at the last minute they decided to visit the observation deck early evening on 9/10. Thank God.

Afterwards, the eerie silence in the sky.... not seeing planes for days. And, when you did hear one, you knew it was a military plane and you got a sick feeling in your stomach.

peace smiling smiley

Posted by: Carlynn (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: October 01, 2008 03:01PM

I know I'm late posting - I live in Houston now and we started evacuating for Ike on 9/11 - and I'm just getting back to normal.....Up until that day I worked across the street in the World Financial Ctr. I came up from the subway seconds after the first plane hit and heard the second plane fly overhead before hitting the 2nd Tower. Needless to say I pray for all those we lost that day - I am thankful for surviving the events of that day.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: October 01, 2008 04:00PM

OMG you were really right there. irina who posts here sometimes lived 2 blocks away.
she lives in Miami now.. she is still traumatized too.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: CCBob (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2008 09:39AM

I am in the Financial business so I had CNBC on in my office. They interruped an interview with Bill Nygren, a fund manager to report the hit of the 1st plane. y son had just passed under the WTC on the subway on his way to ork in lower Manhattan. A building so close that if the WTC had fallen over like a tree it could have fallen into his building. My wife works a block from the White House.
I had a phone on each ear all day.

Posted by: chbpod (---.154.207.127.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: October 04, 2008 01:46PM

I had just been ushered into the dentist chair-they had the news on and one tower was burning-- the commentator said it appeared to be a "small" plane- my first reaction was that some disgruntled employee had flown his Cesna into the building-- then I saw the second plane swooping in- I said to my dentist-- 'That's no small plane- we are under attack"---I went home after my appointment and watched the rest of the disaster unfold-- I lost a former student in the tragedy--chbpod

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2008 01:53PM

such sad comments by everyone.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: SxmNer (---.51.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: October 14, 2008 11:48AM

it was the first day of my vacation. That year I'd hesitated until the very last minute on whether I'd go to New York for my vacation or Trinidad. I finally decided to go to Trinidad and my flight was booked for the following week (the week after 9/11).

I'd just gotten up (too early for someone on vacation) and put on the TV as i got ready. I was watching the premier of a new talk show and the screen when black a few minutes after 8. So i switched channels to one of the networks they were reporting that a small aircraft hit one of the towers. The reporters were still under the impression (and the world) that this was just an unfortunate accident involving a small aircraft when the second one hit and the world changed forever. I was glued to the TV for the next few days crying non stop, i was inconsolable, it was too sens less, it just wouldn't compute, all those Innocent people.

Then I called relatives in new york to make sure they were OK.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |