The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

OT Ike-Turks & Caicos
Posted by: enzolarosa (78.13.51.---)
Date: September 07, 2008 03:56AM

I have been closely monitoring IKE and I unfortunately as I write I believe that IKE must have caused in Providenciales as many damages as Luis did to SXM in 1995.

Just before reaching there it has become a CAT 4 hurricane, with substantial floods and tidal surge associated to it. turks & Caicos were still recovering from the damages done by Hanna,

On the "slight" positive note the hit came from the northern part of IKE, in sailors term sometimes defined as the more "manageble" part of a hurricane, and the forward moving speed was about 15 nautical miles x hour(luis moved at around 3).

My thougts are sincerely with everybody living there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT Ike-Turks & Caicos
Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2008 08:12AM

Enzo, it's so good to hear from you.

There are reports 80% of the homes are damaged on Grand Turk.

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 07, 2008 09:10AM

Oh, I hope Gretchen aka greels, is ok! G, if you read this let us know what's happening!

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2008 09:38AM

I heard 80% of houses on grand turk were damaged also
here are some up to date reports from turks and caicos
[stormcarib.com]

I checked on storm2k because Gretchen has been posting there but nothing from her this morning yet.
I think Provo..where she is.. did not have as much damage though.
also, Gretchen is a first responder.. She may be out on the job this morning.
I hope we hear from her soon.

I remember after Luis when it was just impossible to get through to st. maarten.
I am sure it is the same in Turks and caicos now.

BTW, this is an interesting page too with messages from people inquiring about conditions and loved ones.
[help.stormcarib.com]

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 07, 2008 10:43AM

Barbara, I just read this posting on another site from Gretchen. Hopefully, they're fine!

smileys with beer Contessa

{Anon Ellie,

Thank you for your thoughts.

You would be interested to know that my husband, dog and I will be staying at the staff housing for Amanyara out on Mellenium Highway. That is secure housing and protected inland.

Over the past two years, I have become very close with many of the staff there who treat me like family.

They have opened their doors to my family where we will be safe.

Gretchen )

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2008 11:14AM

thanks
I am sure she is OK.. they just have a mess to deal with

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.63.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2008 01:33PM

Hey!

Turk was hard hit and the poor folks in Cuba are sure to get beat up as well.

It's not only encouraging but VERY thoughtful of all here on GOBEACH to keep in touch with others and report on these events.......a CLASSY forum......THANKS!

Denis

Posted by: enzolarosa (78.13.51.---)
Date: September 08, 2008 03:48AM

Hi pauline I am well, thanks. what about you?

Ike is a serious hurricane, I think that in the Turks and Caicos they are still getting plenty of rain form the outer bands of the hurricane. I can only wonder how much destruction IKE may inflict to Cuba.

I went through 11 hurricanes while living in SXM, and believe me guys once you go trough one like Luis you will never ever forget, right Barbara?

the worst part of an hurricane of such intensity is to cope with the aftermath, when you have lost your house, your work, and most of what you have done in life till that point. It is an experience that marks you forever, and I think that after 13 years I have not fully overcome that experience yet.

Luis was definetely a CAT 4 hurricane when it landed in SXM, and cause of the hills it spun some mini-tornadoes that hit some small areas God knows at which wind speed. Do you remeber Ram's??

I do not want to get into politics, but how can the US government say 24hours before IKE would have hit Cuba " there will be no lift of the embargo on Cuba"???

Wait and see and if the damages are really extensive, as I suppose they will be, come forward to help the Cubans, not the Cuban government, and afterwards I think that those bureaucrats in Washington can smoke their supposed to be embargoed Cuban cigars with a little bit more of ease.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |