The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

price comparisons
Posted by: tropicalgirl (---.ontera.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 10:11AM

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has an answer to my recent message posted last night- was wondering what one would pay for a bar- soap or bottle of shampoo in St. Maarten- dutch side... I do beleive some of you do in fact live here.. right?? It would be great to hear from you friendly people. smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: price comparisons
Posted by: mikentara (---.152.54.247.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 10:28AM

I find the prices somewhat comparable to US. Maybe a tad higher for groceries, etc. Grande Marche carries a lot of US brands. And they do carry bargain brands, too.

Posted by: tropicalgirl (---.ontera.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 10:29AM

thanks you for your reply

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2008 11:01AM

you know,I just shop and never look at prices. It's too tiring. I know what I have to get and I get it, so I can't give you any price comparisons. some things are close in price..other things are way high..like fresh milk.
I think paper products are higher too.
I wouldn't worry so much about grocery prices.
what you will pay a fortune for is electricity and water..
health care is incredibly cheap. and if you are a worker you will be covered by government insurance ( SVcool smiley unless you are making too much money.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2008 11:36AM

Pretty much the same answer as Barbara... i don't really know the prices of everything, even though I am shopping almost everyday... But I can say that my bill at the cashier in the States (Florida) the same as my bill at the cashier down here for the same types of product food excluded...Food is much more expensive here than in the USA... Except if you shop in Dollars store in the US, the price of a soap bar will be around $1.5... same here. A bottle of shampoo $3 to $4 depends which brand and quality you are buying...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |