The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

It is getting safer!!!
Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: August 28, 2008 07:47AM

This from Sxmartini........

Michael Jason Registe has been caught in St. Maarten.

The FBI offered a reward of up to $100,000 for information leading directly to the arrest of Michael Jason Registe.

CONSIDERED ARMED AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS

[www.fbi.gov]

SXM news aticle click here

Re: It is getting safer!!!
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 08:27AM

I'm curious (but doubt we'll ever find out) as to whether he did any major dasturdly deeds while he was there or influenced others to follow in his footsteps, the second part being much scarier now...

It's good to know though that some residents of the island were willing to step up and point the finger. Granted there was reward money out there to be had but, whatever it takes!

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: sxmmmartini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 28, 2008 10:44AM

The Daily Herald has a long article covering the arrest...

[www.thedailyherald.com]

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2008 06:23PM

Georgia has Death penalty! I am pretty sure that if Georgia's prossecutor doesn't take the death penalty off the table he will not be extradite to the US. He may be trialed for the crime he commited in the USA down here in the NA and spend ome time in NA's jail, the same way as Peterson (US/French citizen arrested in Marigot this year) will be trial in Guadeloupe for his crime commited in the US. And obviuosly he is not residing legally on sxm, but it's not because he is illegal on this island that he will be sent back on imigration basis since he was arrested on a different basis and with an international warrant.
So we have to keep an eye to see what happens next. (IMO, the US will wave the death penalty, they don't have the choice...)

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 06:42PM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: .Bruce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 31, 2008 05:16PM

Well getting this guy off the island makes it safer already ... see you never know who the person next to you can be anymore ..The fact that he was able to get on the island is scary , I'm sure he didn't have a job so it was only a matter of time before he would have had a new victim .. Lets just hope these good stories take over the bad ones soon ...

Date: August 31, 2008 06:06PM

You are right, already taking him out of the street made the island a little bit safer... but it was confirmed (by the prossecutor and by Registe's attorney as well) that he will not be extradite if the USA do not take the death penalty off the table in his case...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 31, 2008 06:36PM

Isn't it so ironic that he should land up on an island that will become his sanctuary from the dealth penalty! I wonder what lowlife directed him on that one! I am sure this was not just accidental!

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: August 31, 2008 07:17PM

You know John, many many place in the world are today without the Death Penalty, much more than the one who still have it... 137 countries versus 71 (71 of them which, except the USA and Japan, are not on the list of what we considerate Develloped "civilised" countries but more or less countries run by dictatorship or "funny" democraties...) So in any case he would have had more chance to land on a place like here than on a place which does have the D.P.... Plus, I am not sure that this kind of person have an IQ who enable him to "think", to weight consequences and/or to determine which "action" to take next...when they start to be on the run they go as far as they can from where they are wanted. It is more, I beleive, a "distance" thing than a "risk of sentence" thing. IMHO

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2008 07:20PM by Tabba Khady.

Date: August 31, 2008 07:53PM

I know what you mean Philippe but no matter how stupid we may think he is,he did manage to escape from the US undetected and escaped authorities outside of the continental US but on US owned territory no less. Usually a person who is considered illiterate would not have made it past the state lines, let alone traveling to a US owned island undetected. Being that these 2 students were shot "execution style", it tends to lead me to believe that there were more people involved in this and that he was coached up until he was caught. If he had remained on US island territory, which they believe he was for some time, and he was caught, the authorities would have had no problem returning him to the State from which he committed the crimes.

I may be looking into this more than it should be looked into but nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to crimes committed and how many levels down it can go.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: August 31, 2008 08:01PM

You are making a good point.. He certainly had help for getting out, like you said I don't beleive he could do that by himself alone... Actually, maybe the one who helped him to get out of there are the ones who tipped the police to receive the $100.000... who knows.eye rolling smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |