The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

MOVING TO SXM
Posted by: Jerry1 (---.tstt.net.tt)
Date: August 13, 2008 11:06AM

Greetings! I am moving to St. Maarten within the first few weeks of September. I was told to ask for "Barbara" and/or Phillip since they are both resident and informed.

I have 4 dogs and I know that will be a problem for finding a rental....but I just cannot part with them! I will need a house with a yard and NOT furnished, except for appliances.

1) I am wanting to know if I can begin this rental search before I arrive and how to do this?

2) Can I live on the French side if my job in on the Dutch side?

Thanks.

Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MOVING TO SXM
Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.52.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: August 13, 2008 02:08PM

Hi, I am Philippe...
to answer you question #2 I would need to know your citizenship, not that it is a sinequanon condition but if you are European Citizen it makes things easier for you with the signing of a lease with a real estate agency... But over all, if you have a legal right of residence through your job on the Dutch side, the French authorities are not to much "regardant" about this, and even if it is not really legal, technically it shouldn't be a problem, because you are legal in one of the two sides of the island. You may also find some house for rent directly from owners... However, on a different point, the cost of living is a bit higher on the French side specially if your incomes are in US dollars and the cost are in Euros.

To answer question #1, you may want to contact some real estate agents on the island... It is always not easy to rent something without seing it, but maybe in the first time, rent for a month something already furnished where you can move in right away on your arrival with your dogs, and then from there look for a long term hpouse for rent, unfurnished. I don't think you are brigging all your furnitures with you in the plane, so they may take few day to arrive in sxm after you... I am sure that Remax, Tendal, Century 21 and other agents have some short term rental listing. Since it is only for short term it would not be a problem if it doesn't fit exactly all your criterias of comfort... well anyway that's the way I see it.
If I can be any more help let me know...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2008 06:34PM

wow, you are coming here with 4 dogs? big ones? small ones?
I agree with Philippe.. check out some of the rental agencies.. that is the best
way to go. and if you cannot come down first and rent something you have inspected, then rent for a month or two as P. suggested.
of course, it is always best to come here first and check things out if you can.
Here are some real estate agency web sites.

[www.remaxislandproperties.com]
at remax try calling arun Jagtani..tell him Barbara cannegieter recommended you contact him.
[www.remaxislandproperties.com]

[www.century21islandrealty.com]
[www.sunshine-properties.com]

Let us know how you make out

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2008 06:48PM by Barbara1.

Posted by: Jerry1 (---.tstt.net.tt)
Date: August 14, 2008 11:27AM

Thanks to both Philippe and Barbara1! I find the information very useful. I have also sent you PM.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |