The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: our dream shattered
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2008 07:28PM

The following is not a criticism Philippe of you or your feelings...it is how I see things after reading almost every post since Kim's violation.

You are right Philippe that one article may not do the trick but take a group of articles carefully placed into the proper channels with embarrassing readable finger pointing and maybe it would start to hit closer to their homes and their jobs. The hard part is getting into those channels. Bruce has found the first.

Now what about Barbara's Dentist's incident...will this incident be reported as well to the papers? If not, then there is a missed opportunity to support this cause that Bruce has started. Taking it just to the police obviously means nothing but taking it to the newspapers does mean something.

Here's an anology....a professional photographer knows that out of 1 roll of film, if he gets one perfect shot he's considered extremely lucky, so most times a photographer will go through roll after roll after roll until he exhausts all avenues of creativity for that day. But even knowing how exhausting this can be, the true photographer does not give up nor does he stop after the first click of the camera because he knows that there is a good chance, with total determination, that he will develop a roll and finally see that one photo that will make an impact.

The same goes for those who love the island and want to stop this spread of violence and that includes residents as well as visitors. Consider these people photographers who want to catch that elusive photo... If they can start the ball rolling in whichever way they can physically do this from their vantage point, then maybe there is the remote chance that they will hit the mark. If not, then yes there would be disappointment but being an armchair quarterback does nothing right from the beginning.

What Bruce and Kim are doing is very good for the island and for the people who live there. Now it's up to all people who have been violated to stand up and be counted. To place these violations into all channels and hope, like maybe, say... Luke Skywalker... that the last possible shot hits the mark.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2008 08:09PM

John
it won't help. I really am sorry to say that but it just won't.
the governments simply do not care.
oh yea, articles like the crime against Bruce and Kim shake everyone up, promises get made, and then nothing happens.
Philippe and I both have been here a long time and we both see it the same way.
I don't know what will make the difference.
that's not to say that all the publicity is not worthwhile..keep it in the public eye, yes..
but the real solution will come maybe when the political situation here changes and when people are elected who really care about this island instead of caring about lining their own pockets.
I told you what our federal Minister of Justice Dick said:
"More blue on the streets is not the issue, he said. Police work is not a show, but intelligence and how you act upon it, he said. He admitted that surveillance was needed for traffic controls, for example, but said police intelligence was most important to combat crime."

more police intelligence? give me a break!
more blue on the street is not the issue? no? why not?

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.55.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: August 02, 2008 08:12PM

John
I understand what you are saying and I always find it very important that every crime is being reported. However, I beleive Barbara and I knows very well how works the system and the politicians down here. It's not because you will report the crime or the incident to the Media after doing so to the Police station that the media will automatically report it in the press the next days... I am convinced that the local medias are well aware of many crime and/or incident and choose to not necessary report them, for reason I ignore. As far as the governement and the politician down here, well it is pretty much like anywhere else in the world... they are not there for the people... they are there for themselves and if they cannot or do not find (monetary...) interest in the problem they aren.t willing to solve it. It is obvious that they do pretty much nothing for the people of St Maarten/St Martin... But watch how they live. the only moment (like anywhere else in the world..) they start to act and do something for the people that's when election time are coming. And then with all the money they made whikle being in power they buy the vote from the people! The system is rodded. I sincerly beleive they don't give a dam! Most of them invested their money in Aruba or Curacao and that's where they will go to retire. For them the island is the "milky cow"... they don't see long term. You never hear them adressing the crime issue. I will be surprised if they do so even after a media campaign regarding the increase of criminality. Like I said they are too busy making money for themselves.
Look at the French side! the President L.c. Fleming had to step down and is unlectable for one year because the election commission in Paris rejected is campaign finance account! and we are without President since a week...It says it all... On the Dutch side The Hague doesn't even control the way Paris is doing, so imagine...
Like I said, I beleive they will only start to react when one of them will be a victim, otherwise we all are too "little people" for them to care.
But it's good that some people like Bruce find the good chanel, I am just not sure it will have any impact. It's also good that some people are still positive in a sense they beleive in change.. but reality seems to be a bit darker from here

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2008 08:14PM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.55.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: August 02, 2008 08:12PM

Barbar,
you write faster than me....LOL

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 02, 2008 08:40PM

but not much faster winking smiley

Date: August 02, 2008 08:42PM

I understand how both of you feel. You feel not only embarrassed by your island's government but feel personally violated. And for every incident you hear about your stomach turns. You regret the path your island is taking along with all other Caribbean islands as well and feel helpless and exposed.

But what is being said is not that far fetched. If I understand what is being said, you can put a zillion police on the street but if these police don't react to calls for help fast enough, if they don't actually care about what they represent, if they would prefer to stay safe but take in that paycheck while hiding out with their friends or lovers, or if they admire themselves for what they appear on the outside more than what they feel on the inside, then police intelligence is absolutely necessary. You can have a zillion men and women patrolling the streets but if they won't perform, then they are completely useless and the criminals know this.

The island needs an enforcement of police who actually know how to quickly respond when a crime is reported, know how to actually take a police report, know how to talk to the victims, know how investigate during and after a crime has been committed, and most of all, know that they are there to serve the residents and visitors of the island and not the reverse.

But I am not saying that all of your police force is lazy nor apathetic. I am sure there are many that are proud of their position and truthfully try to live up to their uniform's statement. But apathy is infectious. Just look at what happens when a company hires an apathetic person. Before you know it virtually infects almost everyone. I've seen it way too many times in the jobs I've had and even the people I have befriended (temporarily that is). It has happened to me and until I shook my head straight and said, what the heck...I was as lazy, critical, and useless as the others for a time. And the police force is no different. They need a presence that evokes pride, intelligence, and dedication. I think that is what is being said and I agree.

PS... I love good, down to earth discussions like this. It's so civil and enlightening as well.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: August 02, 2008 08:55PM

And since I didn't get a chance to read what you wrote Philippe before posting mine, I will say that I feel horrible that your governments are just so corrupt but we have had that as well... I remember when I was in High School and the Mafia was taking over everything within our town... buildings being burned because the owners would not sell to them, people disappearing, money laundering, illegal buildings being built...but then came one man who was brave enough to strap himself with tape recorders and meet with the head men. He did what he had to do, the Media published EVERYTHING, he went undercover for years afterwards with witness protection, and the buildings being built illegally sat for at least 15 years unfinished with cranes on the rooftops. Many men went to jail for a long, long, time, the governments reacted with embarrassment, and our town went back to what it should have been. Without the media, without people standing up to be counted, the town would have turned into ....hmmmm....Cupecoy.... only kidding....grinning smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: August 02, 2008 08:57PM

Boy this way of posting is getting me dizzy....how come my last post landed up 4 posts prior to my other one??? This is sooooo frustrating...smiling bouncing smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2008 08:58PM by John.

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: August 02, 2008 11:57PM

B - is his real name Justice Dick??? haha, just trying to add some humor! smileys with beer

Date: August 03, 2008 11:10AM

yea, it is. I forgot his first name LOl
but Justice Dick describes him perfectly spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rastaman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 09:18AM

Barbara: His name is David, but in school his nickname was Limp. That is how the papers should refer to him now.

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 09:20AM

>grinning smiley< And his last name is really 'Head'!!

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: seamusoisin (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 01:51PM

Richard Cranium to be friendly

I had the right to remain silent...but I didn't.

[burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com]

Posted by: biturbo (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2008 05:54PM

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but we've been away on a mini vacation. And to read horrible news like this is enough to make my blood boil. We always used to say and think that if you used common sense on SXM you would be safe. However this and other recent crimes prove how wrong that line of thought was. Bruce and Kim, you should be commended for sharing this nightmare, and I can only hope and pray that this low-life dreg of humanity is caught and punished to the fullest extent possible. We also have to re-think returning for our next (11th) visit. Stay strong please.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |