- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Sunset Beach Bar being taken apart
Posted by: gert (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2008 12:22PM

Took this pictures yesterday morning... A sad sight. But I am sure some other bar will be built there... It's a great spot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sunset Beach Bar being taken apart
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2008 02:20PM

It sure is sad, but I hope they do build another little simple bar there. I hope they don't build condos as someone mentioned might happen.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: MarcG (---.si.cgocable.ca)
Date: July 28, 2008 04:06PM

I hope so too. Good or bad, SSBB is kind of an institution as far as i'm concerned. Beach bars have come and gone, but the SSBB was always there. I'm sure every first timer to the island had "visit SSBB" on their list...

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 28, 2008 05:17PM

Gert, Thanks for the update.Maybe now it will revert to what we had before the SSBB was there.All a guy needs is a surfboard with the prices written on it & a few coolers like before. How's the Driftwood making out now that the SSBB is gone.

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 28, 2008 05:25PM

And the sales guy at Caravansarie told us that SSBB was there to stay. Only BB was going...............
Such liars..
Cheers I think,
irina

Posted by: MichaelD (24.222.195.---)
Date: July 28, 2008 05:52PM

It just won't be the same. Where will I meet Ray for a drink and watch the planes.

It is very sad when an institution like SSBB disappears.

Posted by: Dane (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2008 07:07PM

Hopefully, John will dismantle the deck he installed. It would be ironic if the landlord was able to use the very upgrade that he cited in terminating the lease.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.48.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: July 28, 2008 07:12PM

It may sounds cruel but, we are so used here in St Martin to see wonderful businesses vanish away for multiple reasons, that life will goes on... and another place will certainly re-open in the same location and SSBB will become part of those wonderful SXM memories that we are "craving" about to tell to newbies...
Imagine... in 20 years, drinking a 30 bucks beer at the bar located on the roof top of the 60 stories skyscrapper built where was now the SSBB and reminiscing about those $5 carib you could have 20 years ago on this little deck watching what, at that time, we were calling "plane" or "aircraft" LOL.... 4 and half hours between JFK and SXM... Gee that was the time to compare with the 20 minuts flight you will need then....LOL
Allright I am stopping here...
Just to say that like all and every institution, it will be missed, but not forgotten, that it will be part of the "history book" and that life will goes on...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: bettenan (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2008 07:14PM

MarcG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope so too. Good or bad, SSBB is kind of an
> institution as far as i'm concerned. Beach bars
> have come and gone, but the SSBB was always there.
> I'm sure every first timer to the island had
> "visit SSBB" on their list...

I've been going to SXM since 1989. I have only missed a few years. I have never been to SSBB, it was never on any list of mine. Sorry for those that will miss it. But I am sure someone else will come along and fill the void.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
bettenan from beautiful bucks county (pa)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2008 06:49AM by bettenan.

Posted by: MarcGG (---.si.cgocable.ca)
Date: July 28, 2008 10:17PM

I haven`t seen a post where someone said people would stop going to the island because SSBB is closed. Some didn`t like to place and chose not to go...that`s fine. But lots did, and it will be missed.

Like Barbara says, I would rather have SSBB with $4 beers, than another condo/hotel built on the parcel of land.

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.tnt3.halifax.ns.da.uu.net)
Date: July 28, 2008 11:34PM

Hey!

Those pics make me well up and it takes a lot to do that. SSBB has been my base for photography for years. I have shot the staff, bikini contest,2 Halloweens,parts of the menu and anything else John wanted. Michele and I have been treated like royalty during our vacations.

The numbers of people we have met there and still associate with are numerous. The parties we have sponsored for TTOL and Halloween have been some of the best times while on Island. John was always generous with prizes and specials and we could never pay for anything we ate, drank or wore. Some of the T shirts feature my pics and on 3 the cartoon guy with the camera is BIGDEN.

John introduced us to many locals who gave me access to aviation related spots where I could shoot. He provided perks to many who made it easy for me to get some great shots from off limits Juliana locations.

I have been on site when a few of his staff whom I considered friends were led off in handcuffs by immigration. I have been thrown the keys when immigration came and led Nigel off a couple of years ago. John and I were having a breakfast I made at the grill some time ago when we were interupted by cops cuffing him and leading him off after he had written permission to return to the Island.

The door to his Pelican Key home was always open and the invite always current. In my 60 plus years I have never been treated as well by somebody I have only known for a few years. I have never heard a bad word of criticism about any of the photos I supplied for the bar and website...a big THANKS and a short "nice pics" followed every submission. The trades of pics for perks were always lopsided toward us, an example of the generosity of JR and his bizarre ability to please his friends in ways he knew would make them happy.

MAHO and runway 09 won't change but the ambience and warm fuzzy feeling of being truly "at home" in SSBB is gone for me. The spontaneous opportunity for excitement and entertainment was always a split second away. At night it could change from boring to almost illegal with the entry of a group of party people from the depths of the darkened lots. We haven't had as much fun anyplace else in the world after dark as we have had there.

Early mornings catching the first planes arriving, surfing the e-mail at 0730, watching the day staff breathe life into the best bar in the Caribbean, counting the colours of blue in MAHO bay, sharing croissants and coffee with the morning staff and watching the surfboard get planted. Reading the e-mails and a missive appearing saying: "having your breakfast cigar and coffee?" while being watched by JR on the webcams. Waiting for Heidi to open and watching her children grow...these are my memories, vivid as the incredible sunsets and the pulsating Percy numbers blaring over the best sound system around...cranking up the "plane radio" to hear the lilt of the controllers guiding in the Twotters, 747's and DC-3 bread planes from
SJU.

These are a few of my thoughts tonight...the impressions of this place are indelibly stamped like some exotic and rare passport mark. It's the same place it always was, but the aura of excitement and pure pleasure will never reapear for me.

BIGDEN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2008 11:44PM by BIGDENX.

Posted by: mikentara (---.153.5.178.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: July 29, 2008 11:49AM

WoW ! Now you're making me well up!
Beautifully said.
A lot of great memories!

Posted by: PChuck (---.pppoe-dynamic.ns.aliant.net)
Date: July 29, 2008 11:55AM

Very nicely said ........ this place will be missed by MANY !!!

Posted by: Mr SXM (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: July 29, 2008 02:49PM

I will really miss this place and the Bondfire Reggae Band. Does anyone know if they are playing elsewhere..??

I always said, if a foreigner became successful in a business down here, a local would figure a way to take it away from them. Remember the strip club above Ric's Place; they put owner's wife in jail...just another example. Bamboo Bernies....government was always arresting his special sushi chefs who were on rotation from the states. A man I know who had a great idea, bought an NV. He put down a hefty deposit for a rental space on the new pier.....was supposed to be called Daiquiri Dan's. He had special machines to make many kinds of frozen drinks. Totally lost his prepaid rental space at pier with no refund and no chance to get a rental spot. He finally gave up his NV, which was costing him thousands. Now a local with no licence to my knowledge, got a spot and is selling frozen drinks on pier..!! Security is worsening for all businesses and people. Just my 33 years observation of an Island that is dear to me and many of my friends.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2008 03:23PM

what? if a foreigner becomes successful down here,a local would figure a way to take it away from them? what nonsense is this?
I guess that is why 95% of businesses are owned by foreigners then?
yes, that makes a lot of sense.angry smiley

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |