The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Update on SSBB
Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.54.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: July 25, 2008 08:44PM

LOL !!! Very good... smiling bouncing smiley
and Bamboo Bernie >>>> Taboo Bernie confused smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dane (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 09:03PM

Philippe, it's unclear whether these were back taxes from the previous owner, new delinquent taxes, or a combination of the two. I seem to remember around 2 years ago when SSBB was suddenly/briefly closed and its possessions seized for planned auction, it was to pay the taxes that had apparently been owed by the previous owner. My suspicion is that the blenders/freezers, etc. were not enough and that Rehak made some sort of deal with the government on a negotiated total and payment plan. It is purely speculation on my part, but maybe the island felt he defaulted on that agreement, or used the previous taxes to oust him for the "well-known businessman?"

Overall, the whole thing does sound fishy. It's also too bad. Even though some preferred the smaller atmosphere prior to the build-out, John did put a lot into the place. The extended deck was a nice space to sit and watch the planes before heading back home and the bar was one of the few places on the island where you could hear live music daily.

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 10:12PM

Barbara, Let me know if I'm right. I remember yrs ago before the ssbb was built. On the runway side across from the current location.Wasn't there just a surfboard standing up with drink prices on it and only a few coolers on the ground used for ice & bottles to make drinks. I also recall flyers being passed around the island advertising the operation.Do you remember anything similar to what I discribed.

Date: July 25, 2008 10:18PM

Barbara, I forgot to add I need your email address.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2008 10:05AM

hi Bob
yes. I think you are right. that's exactly what was there many years ago.
email is
barcann@hotmail.com

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2008 10:06AM by Barbara1.

Posted by: gert (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2008 12:56PM

Yes, BobP, there is Guy's on the other side of Maho. Drinks are a lot cheaper there, and the rum punch is their specialty, not sure how many different knds of liquors she put in there! I think Guy started out with just a cooler and now has a 'real' bar with chairs and tables. Even serving food.

Too bad though about Sunset Beach Bar. It was a fun place.

Posted by: sammie (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2008 12:58PM

where is Guy's..........never heard of it

Posted by: Jack (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 01:31PM

Guy is the owner of Driftwood Boat Bar....he is a real cool guy. He also does lounge chairs/umbrellas on Great Bay Beach (in back of the Catholic Church) and just took over the old Bamboo Bernies on the Boardwalk.

Posted by: sammie (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2008 01:52PM

Thanks Jack, knew Driftwood but didn't know it as Guy's

Posted by: Linda (---.dial.ntinet.com)
Date: July 26, 2008 02:17PM

Does anyone know what has happened to Heidi?

Date: July 26, 2008 04:55PM

Barbara & Gert,Thanks I thought I was losing it for awhile trying to figure out what was at the original location.I kept seeing it in my brain but wasn't sure if any longtimers would remember the same thing.When I saw the memories of SSBB post on another forum I started remembering how it all started.Those were the DAYS when all someone needed was an idea, surfboard, ice coolers and the energy.Also if you recall on Dawn Beach in those DAYS the guy with the ice coolers and the plank to set drinks on.(79)Less was more in those DAYS.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2008 05:12PM

I remember when Pedro on Orient started that way too. He had a little BBQ pit dug in the sand and that was all that was there anywhere on that beach.
and on Dawn Beach the guy who started that little BBQ place was Allan Busby, which is why the bar is called Mr. Busby's.
man, we had some fun beach parties there in those days.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: tom (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 26, 2008 05:26PM

I heard last Feb that a well known bar manager on Orient Beach was going to take over the business with the option to buy it.Guess it fell through.Too bad,they would have done agreat job.

Date: July 27, 2008 12:22PM

Barbara, WOW, so do you think I met him back in 79. I don't know much about that area since my first time there in 79. During a trip in 06 we stopped by to see the new hotel and area after all those yrs.Is Allen well and operating a business now.I'd love to stop in and say hello to him.........Also do you know if Guy is working at the bar.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |