The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Old Pics...
Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.56-184.caribserve.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 08:59AM

I didn't post an old picture since a while (specially because I don't remember which one I already posted and which one I didn't LOL...), but here is an old aerial picture of Marigot when they just started to fill up "doigt de Gant" to built "Rue Kennedy" "Rue du general de Gaulle" and "Marina Port La Royale"...

And since I am posting about Marigot, here is one of Philipsburg from a while ago too....

Picture's Credit to : J. Doe

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Pics...
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2008 09:15AM

Now you have started it again Philippe smiling smiley
I don't remember what I posted either but I never tire of looking at the old pictures over and over again.
here are a few more:
I took this picture back in 1970 something. This is what the old Bush Road looked like, going into town. Notice that on the left hand side is dry dirt. That was the year we had a serious drought and the fresh water pond which parallels Bush Road dried up.

and this is what the Philipsburg beach looked like in those days.

and these photos were the quality of photos in those days.
I guess we have come a long way. smiling smiley

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 08:12PM by Barbara1.

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 09:18AM

Thank you Philippe. I love looking at what was, no matter where it may be.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: seamusoisin (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 10:38AM

Barb, Phillipe love the pictures.

Barb the picture was obviously on film and has probably deteriotaed over time and scanning will further reduce the quality. However, you can do some adjustments in your photo editing software. I do it in Photoshop, but Photoshop Elements will do the same thing at a 1oth the cost. here is your photo sharpened, brightened, added a little contrast and changed the levels.Probably could be improved but it took me longer to type this than work on the photo.

These pictures are historical and you should do something to create an archieve as they will deterioate to a point that will be beyond repair. Tempus Fugit!

Cheers

I had the right to remain silent...but I didn't.

[burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com]

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 11:21AM

One step further...

Image will disappear in a few days but this is what photoshop can do with Color Balance and proper adjustments to noise and dust. Can use the Copy Stamp to rid yourself of unwanted scratches as well.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 01:16PM by John.

Posted by: mikentara (---.152.57.199.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 12:58PM

Love these photos
Post More!!!
I never get tired of looking at them.

Date: July 22, 2008 06:04PM

Wow, you guys are good.
I have absolutely no idea how to do that.
thanks!

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 07:53PM

BArb,
Talk about heavy traffic....and that was it the seventies. And why aren't there any cars coming from the other directions?

Date: July 22, 2008 08:13PM

Norm
we always had traffic on that road LOL
and you know I never noticed it was only one way traffic in the picture.
I have no idea why. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 08:13PM by Barbara1.

Date: July 22, 2008 08:23PM

seamusoisin and john

woudl you recommend I buy Photoshop elements?
Remember, I am a novice and I like things simple. smiling smiley

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 08:50PM

I have the full blown version (necessary for my job) so it's hard for me to know what Elements has. So for anyone who has Elements, if it has the Clone Stamp located on the toolbar, The color balance section under Adjustments, and at least the filter called "noise", then it's worth it to fix any of your old photos.

"Color Balance" is an adjustable sliding bar for all 6 major colors. If your photo has lots of magenta hues like the ones you posted, you slide the balance bar slowly away from magenta toward green. Then once the photo begins to look normal but may now be a bit more green than you want, you slowly slide the yellow bar toward blue and voila...your colors should now look normal again.

The Clone Stamp is a little trickier to explain here but what it does is clones the areas surrounding an imperfection and covers up any scratches to look exactly like the area right around it. It really is a valuable tool and worth learning.

And finally, the noise filter has a feature called despeckle and also dust and scratches. Just clicking once on either can take a grainy photo and smooth it out. Then if it appears too smooth, click on sharpen and you should be done.

So whoever has Elements can check these features out and let you know. I could bring you an older full blown version of PhotoShop but you'd have to wait until early December.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 07:45AM

Hey, I have a old photo's of the beach area behind the stores in Phillipsburg from 80/81. Plus Mullet Hotel & Little Bay & hotel pictures from late 70's early 80's but I need help to post them.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 07:50AM

Can you upload them to any of the websites that allows you to share photos like photobucket? If so, then once you upload them to that site, you can use the URL address of each photo to post them anywhere else. If you are unsure of what I mean, PM me and I'll explain further.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: seamusoisin (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 11:32AM

Barb it's in the mail. Just enjoy and keep those old pics coming!

I had the right to remain silent...but I didn't.

[burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com]

Date: July 23, 2008 11:34AM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |