The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Who cleaned up St.Maarten?
Posted by: gert (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2008 12:45PM

Hi everybody,

Just to let you know that I am on St.Maarten right now. Staying on beautiful Dawn Beach, at the Coral Beach Club (in the unit next to Triton).

My first impression after haven't been here for two years, is that the island looks so clean! I always remembered the trash everywhere, but now it looks pretty tidy. Very good to see.

Also, yes, there is that new area of interest, Invest 94L. I seem to have an unlucky reputation whenever I travel to the islands. Let's hope that this one just doesn't get its act together and won't bother anyone!

Gert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who cleaned up St.Maarten?
Posted by: hofstetter (74.7.170.---)
Date: July 15, 2008 01:27PM

That is great news because last year there were some difficulties over a labor dispute.

How is the construction going at Oyster Bay?

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2008 01:49PM

hi Gert
Hope you are having a good time.
You really think the island is cleaner? where?
I think it is worse than ever.
Garbage bins are always overflowing and there is a lot of littering along the roads, IMO.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: hofstetter (74.7.170.---)
Date: July 15, 2008 02:06PM

That is what I remember last year

Date: July 16, 2008 08:20PM

Yes, I really think it looks cleaner smiling smiley

There are still the overfilled containers I guess, but there is so much less litter along the road, like bottles, plastic bags, etc.

I was actually pleasantly surprised when we drove around the island, except for what they are doing to Cupecoy!!! How could they ever have approved all that construction on the Lagoon side of the road! A real shame.

Regarding Oyster Pond, it looks like they are getting pretty close to finishing a big building. There is a big crane. I don't hear any noises coming from it luckily.

Posted by: sxmmmartini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 16, 2008 08:34PM

Gert...Since you are in Oyster Pond...Please don't forget to dine at Daniel's aka Mr Busby's and Big Fish. Another favorite is Eden's Cafe formerly Tabba Khady and of course Captain Olivers. If you are looking for good ground coffee beans stop in at Mom and Pop's next to Big Fish and they will ground your beans fresh for the next morning. Looking forward to your trip resort...W

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2008 08:37AM

and don't forget mama's pizza.. I love their pizza

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: July 17, 2008 09:56AM

Thanks for the tips. We have had take out from Big Fish twice already. Very tasty.

Also went with some friends to a pizza place in Oyster Pond, I think it was called Mama's Pizza indeed. That is a really nice spot actually. Friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Good for kids.

Had lunch at Mr.Busby's, which was very disappointing actually. The burger patty was frozen not handmade it looked like (tasted similar to Burger King..., for $10 or so!). Our kids liked the ribs though. The lobster looked good though, should have gone for that!

Have not gone to Captain Oliver's yet. Waiting for Philippe to e-mail/pm me back so that I am sure he is there.

Last night picked up some local food from one of the food places on Pond Fill Rd. Quite tasty.

There is also a new local place, a little bit further up towards Orient then Capt.Olivers. Called 'El Lolo' or something. It looks nice from the outside. Might try that for tonight.

Date: July 17, 2008 09:12PM

One more thing about Busby's, they have $0.75 Carib all day smiling smiley

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |