The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Mugging in Marigot
Posted by: taborlakephil (---.54-195.caribserve.net)
Date: July 08, 2008 10:59AM

Good morning. I was urged to put this information on here by another reader. I am one of the men who were savagely mugged and robbed last Wednesday evening leaving the Mini Club after dinner. Three men attacked the three of us and two of us had to be hospitalized with our injuries. The gendarmerie and the tourism office are working very diligently to try to find our attackers and this all happened on the same day we were celebrating purchasing a home here on the island. It is very disheartening to have something like this happen, but it does not deter us from being here. We won't stop going out at night but we now have a heightened sense of security.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mugging in Marigot
Posted by: sxmmmartini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 08, 2008 11:14AM

There is an article in Tuesdays online news with photos...
Three men were arrested...the link is below.
[sxmislandtime.com]

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 08, 2008 11:27AM

Dear poster...so very, very sorry to hear that you were a victim of a criminal act. It is unnerving to say the least. I do hope that your recovery is speedy. But I am also glad to see that you still love the island for all it has to offer. We too closed on a condo this past year and so I feel bad that this diminished your celebrations. You will just have to set up another "makeup" vacation a few months from now when you can officially celebrate without incident.

And as I mentioned in the other thread, taking a cab to Marigot is the only way we go in the evening and worth every penny to avoid issues like this which I have read about in past threads (and if only to avoid the man who would stand in the parking lot "protecting the cars".) We reside on the Dutch side and feel that this is our only reliable option.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2008 12:09PM

I saw that in the local newspaper. I am so sorry this happened to you.
It hurts us all when we hear stories like this.
I hope they find the attackers.
And it is a message to all of us living or visiting here that we have to be more diligent and careful.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 08, 2008 08:15PM

Phil,

I read of your misfortune on another forum and then again here - I am so sorry this happened to you and hope you won't let it destroy your former enjoyment of the island and that of your new home, also.

Sadly, things have been over-looked for such a long time that I'm thinking it's going to take a while to get the island under control again but eventually, I'm sure they will.

For now, we can only hope and pray it comes full circle sooner rather than later and that the perpetrators of these crimes are apprehended and afforded appropriate punishment.

In the meantime, it behooves us all to put the rose colored glasses away for a while and be doubly aware of ourselves and our surroundings and behaviours and all that said, try to enjoy yourself without looking over your shoulder all the time.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2008 08:16PM by pat.

Posted by: taborlakephil (---.56-79.caribserve.net)
Date: July 09, 2008 11:02AM

We just returned from identifying the second of our three attackers at the Gendarmerie office in Marigot. One more to go!!

Date: July 09, 2008 11:06AM

so you mean they got 2 of them?
Fabulous!

Date: July 09, 2008 11:18AM

That is wonderful news! It seems that many times people are victims of crimes and leave the island before any possible identification can be made which puts a damper on the police actually wanting to go out and look for the criminals. Without positive ID, it's almost impossible to convict so that is so good that you remained there to help ID them!!!!! Good for you!!!!

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: taborlakephil (---.56-79.caribserve.net)
Date: July 09, 2008 11:33AM

The gendarmerie have been absolutely great to deal with. They seem very intent on trying to prevent incidents like ours from happening. I have to return to Kentucky tomorrow and I am glad I have been here long enough to help with the identification. I have a feeling that these guys may be in "Azkaban" for a long, long time. And I am not in Mexico. I am sitting on my balcony on top of the Ocean Club enjoying a magnificently sunny day.

Date: July 09, 2008 11:47AM

Congratulations as well with your new condo!!! Where, may I ask did you purchase? We are now owners at Rainbow Beach Club as of April of this year.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: July 09, 2008 12:02PM

tabor. be glad you are dealing with the french side.. prison sentences on the Dutch side are, unfortunately, much more lenient.

Posted by: taborlakephil (---.63-22.caribserve.net)
Date: July 09, 2008 09:20PM

Good evening to all. We just returned from about three hours with the Gendarmerie in Marigot. The main suspect who attacked us is being flown to Guadeloupe tomorrow for a Friday afternoon hearing. The Gendarmerie have been right on top of everything and I can't say enough about how well they have dealt with this situation. And, again, the locals we have been seeing are all so interested in our welfare and truly worried about us and concerned for us.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2008 09:40PM

What a good ending to what could have been disasterous. I, personally, am so appreciative of your updates and knowing that your welfare has been the utmost of concern from both the Gendarmerie and the residents. It must truly be a good feeling to realize this as it makes me feel that there is hope for better times.

Crime will never totally disappear but the support that's needed in the aftermath is just too important to dismiss.

Thank you.

Vicki

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 09, 2008 09:58PM

tabor,I'm very happy for you and SXM that they arrested those lowlifes. Its unfortunate they made you suffer but its also a success story for SXM & tourism.The Gendarmerie are fighting a huge battle against island crime. In our case which was CC fraud of 5000.00 Euro's charged from SXM business's they came to our hotel room to make out the report. They showed us how much they cared and are working with limited resources to stop crime.As a long time vacationer of 30+ yrs I've watched the island change in many ways. Hopefully this arrest will be the start of SXM changing back to the crime free DAYS. Thanks for reporting your story & progress. good luck. Bob

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |