The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Summer Recipes........
Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2008 07:22PM

Sure I make a killer potato salad but it's no secret. Use Hellmans' mayo....
yukon gold potatoes....minced scallion/green onion....lots of freshly ground pepper....salt to taste and a dash of garlic powder ( I can't cook without garlic, somewhere, except dessert, that's where I draw the line!)
Mix all well and taste often. I don't have a formula because it depends on how many potatoes you use. Generally, I use about 5-6 boiled in salted water until cooked, w/skins. Then add the mayo and seasonings while warm. It's always a hit!! Good Luck!

smileys with beer Contessa

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cuznvin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2008 09:15PM

vinegar? HB eggs?

Date: June 20, 2008 06:08AM

Well.....now that's a different recipe. When I was growing up my grandmother made one with a vinagrette, minced onion and the potatoes were warm. Also, delicious!! You could add eggs but during the warm weather I'd avoid putting eggs in anything, but if it's not sitting around, that's fine.

Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 20, 2008 10:31AM

Vinny, we use oil& vinegar salad dressing and dill pickles and HB eggs.

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Posted by: chef (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2008 09:13PM

This is a delicious recipe for Brocolli Slaw Salad that friends of ours make using Ramen noodles and a sweet and sour dressig:

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound broccoli slaw (bag in the produce department)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped onions
2 packages beef Ramen noodles
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
cayenne pepper (a few shakes)

PREPARATION:
In a large bowl, combine broccoli slaw, sunflower seeds, and chopped onions. Make dressing from the seasoning packets from the 2 packages beef Ramen noodles and pour dressing over salad; crumble the Ramen noodles and serve on top of each serving

Enjoy

Date: June 20, 2008 09:24PM

contessa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well.....now that's a different recipe. When I
> was growing up my grandmother made one with a
> vinagrette, minced onion and the potatoes were
> warm. Also, delicious!! You could add eggs but
> during the warm weather I'd avoid putting eggs in
> anything, but if it's not sitting around, that's
> fine.
>
>
> smileys with beer Contessa

I love that warm potato salad!! Havent had it in years though....

Date: June 20, 2008 09:27PM

Got this one from Food Network. The Ricotta Salata enticed me!!

Tri-Colore Orzo
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

1 pound orzo pasta
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
2 cups fresh arugula (about 3 ounces)
3/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata cheese (or feta cheese)
1/2 cup dried cherries
12 fresh basil leaves, torn
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and put the pasta on a large cookie sheet. Drizzle the pasta with 3 tablespoons olive oil, toss, spread out, and set aside to cool.
Once the orzo is cool, transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and toss gently to combine. Serve.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 20, 2008 09:52PM

This message is to "Chef"...actually I don't have that recipe since his class didn't include that part so no typed recipe, but based on taste, I would say that any simple storebought terikayi marinade would do. Once you mix the chicken bites with the salad and dressing, you somewhat lose the teriyaki taste anyway and envelope yourself with the melding of coconut pineapple flavors.

And thank you for posting your Broccoli Slaw Recipe...sounds very good as well!
It's funny but I'm not used to the format on this site...sometimes I miss threads because some new ones are actually in the middle rather than at the bottom which is where I have been going to read new postings....

And to Vinny, your recipe sounds really refreshing for a summer lunch side dish. I can see eating this with some freshly cooked Greek meatballs. And thus, since I am Greek and my house always has, believe it or not, French Feta, which is lighter and less salty, I will probably be making it with that instead. Thanks for passing it along.

If anyone is interested in the recipe for Greek meatballs which are eaten luke warm or even better, cold, and are eaten with absolutely no sauce on them, let me know and I'll pass this along. This is one of our most favored summertime meals... Keftedes - pronounced Keeftethes (Greek meatballs), some Greek salad with fresh Tomatoes, Feta, and Kalamata Olives drizzled with a good XVOO, and maybe a freshly made scoop of potato salad...

I may not cook many Greek meals since I am as American as you can get and never really found interest in watching Mom and Yiayia cooking their fabulous meals (which I now really regret) but I could not live without my Keftedes....

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2008 09:59PM by John.

Posted by: Chef (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2008 10:49PM

John
This message is to "Chef"...actually I don't have that recipe since his class didn't include that part so no typed recipe, but based on taste, I would say that any simple storebought terikayi marinade would do. Once you mix the chicken bites with the salad and dressing, you somewhat lose the teriyaki taste anyway and envelope yourself with the melding of coconut pineapple flavors.

Thank you John for the follow-up, I will marinate some chicken and then roast it in the oven or on the grill like I do when I make chicken breasts for chicken salad... I usually just use S&P and brush the breasts with O.O.

If you wish to share your recipe for Greek meatballs and it isn't too difficult/complicated, I will try making them.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2008 07:22AM

Making Keftedes are really pretty simple once you get the hang of it. As most cooks do, I actually measure by sight but I'll try my best to give you the closest measurements:

Keftedes

Meatballs
1 pound ground beef
2 eggs
1/2 of a small onion chopped fine (less if your not into onions)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
6 - 8 fresh mint leaves cut up into tiny pieces
2 tablespoons dried parsley (any parsley will do)
1 teaspoon of minced garlic (I use from precut garlic in jar - fresh is fine)
salt and pepper to taste as if you were making meat loaf
3 thick slices French or Italian Bread (not the skinny loaves) soaked for 1 hour and then thoroughly squeezed of water

Other Ingredients
3 - 4 tablespoons of olive oil
enough all purpose flour to coat each meatball (maybe 1/4 cup)

1 large frying pan
Bowl to soak the bread
Large Mixing bowl
2 flat plates
tongs to turn the meatballs over

Get a bowl of water and place the bread into it. Put a plate on top to hold the bread under water to soak for about an hour. Carefully take bread out and squeeze each piece to remove as much water as possible and place into large mixing bowl.

In the meantime, put about 1/4 cup of flour on one of the plates. The other plate lined with paper towel should hold the finished meatballs as they come off the stove.

When you are ready to start making the meatballs, pour the olive oil into the frying pan and begin to heat.

Put all remaining meatball ingredients in with the damp bread and thoroughly mix.

Start making small or medium sized meatballs with your hands and then lightly roll each meatball in the flour that's on the plate. Do not squeeze meatballs too hard. Try to form them with medium pressure so they don't fall apart in pan but not hard as rock. Take each floured meatball and toss between palms of hands to release any excess flour and then place into heated pan and begin to cook them. Do not put too many meatlballs in the pan. Maybe 10 at a time.

Watch until they are browned on all sides, flattening them a little and then turning them over when they are browned on the bottom. When you feel that they are cooked thoroughly, remove with tongs and place on the paper toweled plate and start your next set of meatballs.

These meatballs are great warm or cold. My brother likes to put a little lemon juice on them when eating but I enjoy them plain. Serve with a nice fresh potato and/or macaroni salad and a tomato, feta, and olive salad on the side.

And the great thing about Keftedes is that you can pop them in your mouth right out of the frig. too!

Enjoy

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2008 09:06AM by John.

Date: June 21, 2008 10:19AM

John
It's funny but I'm not used to the format on this site...sometimes I miss threads because some new ones are actually in the middle rather than at the bottom which is where I have been going to read new postings....

Vicki, try clicking, recent messages at the top and this will bring all new messages up....

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 21, 2008 10:29AM

Thanks Vinny. I'll try that. smiling smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: June 22, 2008 11:12AM

Anytime, John!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 22, 2008 12:24PM

Has anyone tried 'Soy Vay' marinades? They're fabulous! My favorite is 'Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki'. This is an all natural teriyaki sauce w/ginger, garlic, onion and sesame seeds.
My other favorite is their Island Teriyaki which has pineapple juice in it too!
I could drink the stuff!!grinning smiley They're great for a quick marinade.
Honestly, I don't work for the company, but I do like to pass on a great product when I find one. I've even written to the company about their products, too. Give them a try!!thumbs up

Posted by: Sacrifice (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: June 22, 2008 12:29PM

Tessa: What market chain to you buy that at? Thanks..Fran

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |