The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: monthly cost of living on St. Martin
Posted by: joseph (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 02:14PM

iam coming down to st marrten on dec, 05,08. iam very excited about it. but if
anyone knows, how hard is it for a canaaian to get a working visa and are there
any very cheap hotels. like cheap as in 10-25 a night, or is there anywhere to
camp for that amount. and is it legal to camp on the beach. and is there anyone
that i can meet to show me around and maybe help with work and things. see its
been my dream to live by the ocean and and in the warmth. and i would help anyone
who help me out with something.
maybe you can help have my dream come true

hope to hear from someone, you can use my email or here

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 03:06PM

dONT know if your kidding around or serious but I think your not gonna find a Sxm hotel for that kind of money. Never heard about any camping there and definitely not on the beach. Its not likely your gonna get working papers. But hey everyones gotta dream - why not try to live it.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2008 03:39PM

joseph, sorry, but I have to answer no to everything you asked. what you are looking for sure isn't here, although I loved your dream.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: lola (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 07:54PM

i think that you will need WAY more than 3000 euros to live per month...more like 5000 just for the basics and especially if your child will attend the private french schools. also a car and the expense of running it something that you will have to budget for as well. public transport is sketchy at best. i wouldn't depend on it if you have to be at work. every year we go through at least 1400 for a week NOT including villa & car rental. we cook at the villa and hang out at the beach all week. quality groceries are expensive.
good luck and save up some more before you go!!!

Posted by: Norbert (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 08:00PM

You're coming down in high season without a hotel reservation? Insane!

Posted by: joseph (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: November 04, 2008 02:07PM

guess you guys dont travel much, cause i found a hotel that is 23.50 a night in st marrten. know do you guys live done there or just vist. and why do you say i wont get working papers is there something bad about them. norbert do you live there and what do you do for work.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2008 02:18PM

norbert and I both live and work on the island
If you found a hotel for that cheap it is probably a dump and not safe.
what is the name of it?

getting working papers on either side of the island is not easy.....a long cumbersome costly process.... and it is almost impossible for a Canadian or any foreigner, unless you have a particular skill that no one else on the island has.

You can always work illegally of course but they are picking up illegals right and left and deporting them all the time.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: irena (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2008 12:56AM

i think joseph is just kidding around!! he can't be serious!! lets see if he tells us the name of the $23,50/night hotel he found.

photo printing
Posted by: Shari (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 07:47PM

My husband and I are coming to St. Maarten this weekend and are thinking about having someone take a picture of us (probably near the beach). We would like to have this picture made into a Christmas card while we are there and mailed from St. Maarten. Is there someplace close to Philipsburg (or in Philipsburg) to have this done? Also, how much is the postage from St. Maarten to the U.S. per piece?

Thank you, Shari

Posted by: Kiusya (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: February 08, 2009 02:58PM

Hey everybody,

wonderful forum and a wonderful island. My husband and I are moving to st maarten beginning of May. We just came from a fact finding and signing of a work contract trip there. Since you all have lived there for along time, can anybody give me some advice on semi-furnished rental houses, something btw 1800usd to 2500usd a month. I am also looking for a school for my 4years old son. I must not have a private school, a public school is ok so long as the mediation language is Netherlands.If its not too much some information on extra curriculum activities for children. I will appreciate any information that I can get. Tks

Posted by: M (190.213.125.---)
Date: May 17, 2009 11:04PM

hi there,
I am thinking of moving to St martian with my husband and our dog. We have never been there but heard all kinds of wonderful things about it. We do need some help however... We are looking for a place on the Dutch side. But 1st we will need a hotel or guest house that will let us bring our puppy. Something that is not expensive but still nice. My husband and his sister are planning a trip later this summer. This would be before our big move. If there is any help or tips you can offer that would be most helpful. Thank you so much.

M

Posted by: jewelsnpa7 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 19, 2009 12:12AM

I was just reading the posts on the people who want to move there-seriously, it's a small island and isn't there a limit to keep it from being overpopulated?
Just curious :}

Posted by: M (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: June 26, 2009 08:26AM

hi there. my wife and I are considering job offers to move to the dutch side. We also have a 8 month old puppy. can someone please tell us what are we looking at in terms of monthly expenses in $US for rent, food, utilities etc. Can someone also recommend a nice place to rent which is dog friendly. How are the Vets on the island?

I have been told about $4,000 US/month for living expenses.

Thanks,

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 26, 2009 11:19AM

Norbet, IMO, I doubt they will have a problem finding a hotel during high season.Many are having difficultly renting rooms this past season. When I talked with the mgr of the Radisson last Feb he told me less than 40% of the rooms were rented.

Posted by: Norbert (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: June 26, 2009 07:17PM

Bob,

With all respect, please note the date above my post and its context..

The person I replied to was planning to come to the island in the fist week of December, without a reservation -and- looking for a $10-$25 nightly rate (or considering to camp in a tent on the beach). How much is the Radisson going for, 300-450 Euro a night?

Norbert

DineSXM - St. Maarten / St. Martin restaurant guide & online reservations.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |