The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: censorship
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.53.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2008 12:51PM

Hey Pat!

As always; the VOR ( voice of reason) on Island related matters and in this case forum critique as well.

It does seem sensationalism is popular and crime piques the curiosity of the masses, possibly because it doesn't include them. When it does it's another story and venting may help heal.

The locals on the boards can see the layers of social life on Island far clearer than we can and thus their frustration is doubled when the one week wonders offer solutions. Combine the posters and verbal chaos will surely occur.

It is refreshing when immediate concerns about air fares, lodging and dining are discussed in a civil atmosphere and one upping on " MY DEAL" etc. is avoided. Punctuate with humour and visuals and you get a relaxing informative venue.

One of the benefits of forums is to offer a preview of the folks we may meet and spend time with during our trips, I think many may disclose traits in their writings that others will remember. We certainly avoid negative and argumentative folks on our trips. The Island time spent is far too short to waste on verbal conflict.

Glad to see your comments, keep em coming!

Denis

smileys with beer

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Clark (---.154.207.194.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: June 07, 2008 01:35PM

I have no problem with "crime" posts-----it seems to me that there a lot of newbies asking questions---here or "there"--- and the beware of crime advice is pertinant and helpful to them----as in "don't leave anything in your car"----don't walk in dark places at night----good advice----however- sometimes the "crime" threads head off into a finger-pointing expedition-----Dutch side police-- French side---government inaction-----whatever-----letter writing or e-mailing the government is OK-- but don;t you think the government(s) know this?? the DH has argued this point for us---and the government doesn;t seem to listen------------ok so what-- we take our spleen out on the boards---may make us feel better ---but us stewing about amongst ourselves does no good whatsoever-----right now- I'm less concerned with crime than how the heck I'm going to get to SXM next year with all the down-sizing and schedule changes---of course it's easy for me to say I am less worried about crime since I am home-- safe and sound in North Adams MA-----where over the past few years we have had a few home burgleries---several convenience store robberies--- several drug busts- one or two murders-- and only a week or so ago--- a broadday-- robbery of a bank on Main St.-----gun and explosives-----of course the bank is within a strong 4 iron from the police station-- also clear line of sight--and since they were changing shifts-- we had double the man power------got him-------my two cents---actually in Euros closer to two and a half eh?----chbpod

Posted by: gert (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2008 12:13PM

Hi guys, I am closing this thread. Enough already. Like what Barbara said, let's move on.

Date: June 08, 2008 12:15PM

If only I knew how to do it! New software version and I don't see that option anymore. smiling smiley

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 12:29PM

Now that was funny! Don't you just love new software!

Posted by: seamusoisin (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 02:48PM

Why don't we just agree to end the thread?

I had the right to remain silent...but I didn't.

[burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com]

Posted by: sxmmmartini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 08, 2008 03:41PM

gert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If only I knew how to do it! New software version
> and I don't see that option anymore. smiling smiley

Let me help...LOL

Date: June 08, 2008 06:32PM

Found it smiling smiley

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |