The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: censorship
Posted by: jimandi (---.d01.scpeli.pbtcomm.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 09:20PM

Please, lets work together to make this the best forum ever. It is fun. It is informative. And it is civil. I do not want to debate or argue. I do not wish to be talked over because you know the poster from three responses prior.
No matter how many times you have been to St. Maarten, you can always stand to learn more. Example: how many of you,(without going to the Internet) know the words to the National Anthem of St. Maarten or Saint Martin(Barbara and Philippe, I know that you do._
It should be our mission to help all, first time traveler or veteran of twenty plus years, to know and love this very special Island.
Regards,
Sylvia

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bettenan (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2008 07:06AM

I think that if everyone reads over their post (before hitting the button) and believes that it conforms with those six words that precede the posting button...

My comment is constructive and friendly
this forum will thrive.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
bettenan from beautiful bucks county (pa)

Posted by: WOW (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2008 10:23AM

double-D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And now this sounds like the other board!!

Totally disagree. Another fantastic thing about this board is the absence of the narcissistic cliques that are found on the other board.

Posted by: gert (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2008 10:52AM

Just FYI, we delete messages here as well if we think they are inappropriate. We can chat for ours about the differences between here and there but it doesn't serve any other purpose then blowing off some steam.

I kindly request that you don't put down members on other bulletin boards or make some silly generalizations. We have to respect each other.

Thank you.

Posted by: browning (---.nb.aliant.net)
Date: June 06, 2008 04:20PM

that's what i like gert, messages that are problematic can be deleted, without having to delete the whole thread. Most boards runs like this, i also notice on one board, if only one word is wrong, they just kindly edit your post and pm you as to why. i don't have a problem with that. often time we don't read our own post before posting smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: contessa (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2008 08:19PM

WOW......that's comical, because......most of those narssistic clicques are here, alive and doing just fine!!grinning smiley It's the respect of their postings that makes the difference.thumbs up

smileys with beer Contessa

BTW.....Moi??? Clicque???winking smiley

Posted by: MarcG (---.si.cgocable.ca)
Date: June 06, 2008 10:40PM

No, It's what is being posted making the difference. No crime post since May 20th on this board.... Almost 3 weeks..!!! How come on the 'other board', it was the daily subject but not here...??

Date: June 07, 2008 07:06AM

I don't think anyone feels the need to make a name for themselves by becoming the head of some kind of posse or letter writing campaign.winking smiley

Posted by: contessa (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2008 08:23AM

WOW.....have you got that right!!thumbs upthumbs up It's a lot of work to become a concerned citizen/visitor!! It take absolutely NO effort to sit and bury you head in the sand.....

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: cuznvin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2008 08:28AM

MarcG Wrote:
> No, It's what is being posted making the
> difference. No crime post since May 20th on this
> board.... Almost 3 weeks..!!! How come on the
> 'other board', it was the daily subject but not
> here...??

Actually Marc, you started a crime thread here on June 4, however, nobody responded.

Armed Robbery in the Pelican area and Jewelery store
Posted by: MarcG (---.si.cgocable.ca)
Date: June 04, 2008 10:20AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2008 08:30AM by cuznvin.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2008 09:24AM

move on folks!
don't make it personal!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: seamusoisin (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: June 07, 2008 09:53AM

MarcG Wrote:
> here...??

Marc, I am sure they are many people on this board as well as people on the other board that read both and also read The Daily Hearld and other SXM news sites and have read the crime story. I think that there are posters on the TTOL site who have become obsessed with these crime reports. I can't believe how early in the day some of the posts are posted announcing the latest crime story. It's always the same people who initiate these posts. I say if the first thing you do in the morning is check the crime reports in SXM you having a problem. Do they get up and first thing in the morning check the crime reports in their home town? I think not.

There are all types who frequent these boards and all have different motives for viewing and replying. The majority of people here are not interested in posting what they have already read or posted on the other board. What annoys me the most in these posts is the constant childish bickering between posters claiming that they are the ones who know the whole truth and someone else is wrong.

I don't think that anyone here is ignoring crime on SXM, sticking there head in the sand, but they just don't want to make it the focus of their discussion. That's why there is chocholate and vanilla.There are also less anon posters and this helps with credibility of the board. If there are solutions to the escalating crime it will be solved by the people of SXM not us the occasional visitors. It is neither our responsibility nor place to stick our heads into another countries politics and we should respect their automomy.

Posted by: MarcG (---.55-70-69.static.videotron.ca)
Date: June 07, 2008 10:27AM

You are right about less ANON posters....

Date: June 07, 2008 10:38AM

Let's start a letter writing campaign to get more SXM today pictures posted. Love seeing those pics.smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 07, 2008 12:00PM

MarcG Wrote:
> here...??

Marc,

With all due respect, I have to agree with what Seamusoisin has posted and personally, I would take it just a few steps further.

I've been coming to SXM possibly since before you were born, or at least, close to it and I know full well the island has changed. I really don't need to be beaten over the head with its on going crime problem each morning before I've had my second cup of tea.

I don't enjoy the barrage of crime posts although I think I understand why some take the time and make them and I know, over the years, I've expressed my personal concerns with the way things are going on the island, too, but hopefully not on a constant basis or in an argumentative manner.

But the truth is, while I know it exists, I also know I'm not going to change it. But the choice is mine to comment or not and for the most part I choose not. And while I salute those whose who have instituted letter writing campaigns and other individual efforts to see things improve, I personally don't think that's going to help much beyond making them feel good that they've at least tried to do something constructive.

The way I see it, the island itself has to make a concentrated effort, both sides working together, with strict adherence to their own laws being their first and foremost obligation to their own citizenry and then to us as interested parties as well; and then they have to actively fund, train and allow qualified law enforcement people to do their jobs. And on top of that, they need to revisit their own justice systems and see if the punishments they mete out are really going to serve as a deterrent or not. These are all things the island must do, and not things that we, as visitors can do, so the constant crime posts and comments really serve little purpose. It's easy to point fingers but the change must come from the island governments and a constant barrage of these posts serves little purpose to anyone accept to scare the daylights out of new visitors and/or irritate the daylights out of those island residents who willingly and actively participate and share their island knowledge and lore to all of our benefit, and constantly have to suffer through them.

On another but similiar note, I know personally, I take no pleasure in seeing the constant, constant replaying on national tv of the atrocity that took place in Hartford, CT., this week, knowing full well that while I personally wouldn't have handled it as the on-lookers did, it offends all my sensibilities to have to see and admit that fellow residents chose to do nothing to help. It offends me deeply because, beyond my personaly horror of what happened, I know there's nothing I can do to change it and I'm sure many of the St. Martin/St. Maarten residents feel the same way regarding island crime.

I would suggest that perhaps there's another reason, too, why people are not commenting here on the crime topics as much as on other forums. Perhaps they choose not to post and not to be argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative and they may be trying to make a new start here in getting away from old habits. No secret to anyone who knows me but I personally and honestly don't think the absence or presence of ANONS has much to do with that. And I have always felt the opinions of genuine posters, even if they choose to be anons and unregistereds for whatever their personal reasons, have just as much validity as those of named and registered posters.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2008 12:09PM by pat.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |