The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Beacon Hill base
Posted by: BigMacIain (---.cpe.mountaincable.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 10:46PM

My wife and I are renting a shore-front villa on Beacon Hill for two weeks with two friends and their two teenage kids. The villa is right n the beach at Burgeaux Bay. I get the feeling that it might be a bit out of the way vis-a-vis St Martin highlights. Would that be correct? We'll be renting a car to hit all the usual spots and we'll also want to take an excursion or two during that time. My wife and I may also want to go do something less family-oriented by ourselves. Can anyone recommend day excursions, boat trips or other activities, both for families and somethig more adult? The Rock'n'Roll Snorkel Safari looks really cool, as do the kayaking trip to Pinel.

What does the Beacon Hill area have to offer in the way of food grocery stores. We are particularly French cheese and wine fans. Will we want to shop in the French half for our needs in that regard or will there be anything closer-by?

And speaking of cheese, pates and wines, where would be the best place to shop for those items? Cheeses would range from the usual Brie and Camembert to the more adventurous. As far as wines are concerned, I'd be looking for simple glugging wines from the Midi -- Fitou, Corbierres, Bandol, Cotes du Roussillon -- or just some good beaujolais.

Looking forward to a taste of Europe in the Caribbean.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beacon Hill base
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.53.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 11:23PM

Hey!

Beacon Hill is very close to Simpson Bay and the airport. The Island is not that big and you won't have trouble sourcing the items you need.

The way the traffic flow unfolds leaves you open to a Marigot excursion through the "lowlands" for a taste of French shopping; about 20 minutes away tops.

Early in the a.m. you can get into Simpson Bay in about 10 minutes or less where you can find your baguettes at many smaller grocery stores or bakeries like La Sucriere or Zee Best.

It will become easy after a day or 2 and the Simpson Bay area is quite compact with most of the stores on the main road ( Airport Rd.)

Sorry I can't provide more info but like I have said, it's not really difficult to find what you need.

FOOD EXPRESS at the Maho roundabout is a great early morning grocery store with fresh baguettes delivered daily. The breakfast buffet to go is by the kilo and you can fill up big time for about $4.00. They also have a decent selection of beverages. This store is about 5 minutes from Beacon Hill.

BIGDEN

Date: June 04, 2008 11:32PM

Thanks, BIGDEN! That's really useful -- it's going into my info scrapbook.

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 12:21AM

Beacon Hill is NOT out of the way by any means. IMO opinion it's a great location! (I may be a bit biased....grinning smiley LOL) It's a nice quiet residential area. You will be lucky if you even seen anybody other than beach dogs on the beach while you are there. And, while nice and quiet, you are VERY close to the hopping Maho and Simpson Bay areas.

As Denis said you are 5 minutes (and that's walking!) to Food Express for all you quick food needs. They have a simple variety of wine and cheeses and plenty of other foods to meet simple needs. For more extreme foodie selections Gourmet Marché in Simpson Bay (5 minute drive with no traffic to up to 1/2 hour with bad traffic). Or from Beacon Hill it's a quick traffic free drive into Marigot in about 15 minutes. Wine and cheese should be plentiful here.

Adults and teens alike will love Sunset Beach Bar just down the street.

12 Metre Challenge - a great, fun, must-do activity for all. No experience necessary. thumbs up

Zip lines at Loterie Farm would be fun for those who enjoy a sporting challenge.

Which villa are you renting?

It's a great location - you'll have a fantastic time!smiling bouncing smiley

peace smiling smiley

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 07:11AM

Another bakery which I think is even closer for wonderful breads and croissants is the Cafe Atlantico which is across from the Gourmet Marche in Simpson Bay. I find parking very easy there and they always have a great assortment, even in the early afternoon. Just another possibility... smiling smiley

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.60-57.caribserve.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 07:27AM

To find the best selection of French cheese and French wine, just go to Marigot driving through the Lowlands... It's just minutes away. Two store that I recommend to shop there for those type of article are " US Import Supermarket (or mamybe now it's called "supermarche du Pont" and Match Supermarket at Howell center.
US Import supermarket (US doesn't means United States but are the first letter of the name of the former owner "Ubelman Serge"...) is located just when you ener Marigot pass the small bridge, on your left (parking is on the right).
Match supermarket is located in Howell Center, Marigot, on the way out toward Gd Case, on the right. IMO, it's where you will find the best selection, even better than at US Import.
Bon Appetit!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 05, 2008 10:12AM

Thanks, Andrea. The place we're renting is called . From the pix, it looks like it's on the eastern end of Burgeaux Bay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2008 10:40AM by BigMacIain.

Date: June 05, 2008 10:16AM

Thanks or all the info, folks.

One more question: how long might it take to walk from the east end of Burgueax to Simpson Bay?

Posted by: irina (---.z169-104-66.customer.algx.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 12:10PM

BigMaclain,
Listen to what Andrea said. Maho Food Express is MUCH closer than Cafe Atlantico. Quick walk over to get baguettes, croisants etc. Also good lunch buffet as BigDenx mentioned.
Both Maho Food Express and Gourmet Marche in Simpson Bay will have everything you need, beer, juice, burgers, frozen pizza etc. There is also a 7Alive convenient store down the road from Gourmet Marche on Airport Rd.
Have a great time!
Cheers
irina

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 12:44PM

Hi Irina,

I can't imagine the Maho Food Express being closer...unless where they are staying is closer to the Sunset Beach Bar. Is that the case? If so, then yes the Maho food Express would be a better bet.

But, I thought that their place was closer to the end of the runway. Let me know since the aerial view of Burgeaux seems to be showing closer to airport road.

Date: June 05, 2008 12:54PM

John & Irina (and anyone else that might be interested winking smiley )
Here's the villa:

Perhaps you'll be able to gauge its location from the pics at the site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2008 10:41AM by BigMacIain.

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.53.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 12:57PM

Hey!

Need a chauffeur/dishwasher/pool cleaner or somebody to take your pictures?

BIGDEN smiling bouncing smiley

Date: June 05, 2008 12:59PM

I fill all those roles myself. How do you think I persuaded the otfers to bring me along. cool smiley

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 01:06PM

The villa is located about mid-bay. Usually not much of a beach right in front... but no worries with the pool there. You can enter the ocean for swimming just off to the left of the pool or walk down past small white wall winking smileydown the beach to your right where you can also enter the water.

You have a nice view of the sunset from here and will also be able to see some planes land from the far end of the beach.

peace smiling smiley

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 01:10PM

What an awesome looking villa! You certainly will be having a great time!!!! From what I can see, you may be closer to Sunset Beach Bar so walking toward Cafe Atlantico would be way too long to near impossible because of the runway

Edit addition: Now that I actually looked at the google aerial more closely, you are definitely closer to SSBB!!!!

Personally though, the pastries at Cafe Atlantico are far better than the Maho Express selection. We stay at the Royal Islander across the street and truly wish there was a better bakery in walking distance. I have gone into Maho Express to buy croissants and by the time I go in, they're all gone. The most they have are the baguettes and sliced bread and even that is not great since the good sliced bread baker stopped making their delicious sliced bread this past April.

If it were me, I would hop in the car and drive to Cafe Atlantico and buy a bunch for a few days. Their Chocolate Croissants with sliced Almonds are soooo good. Put one in a300 degree oven for a minute and then brew a nice strong cup of coffee, sit on the balcony and...well.....ooo la la....what can I say but ...tres magnifique.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2008 01:40PM by John.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |