The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Anguilla
Posted by: BobV (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2008 06:45PM

Can any one provide me with information about taking a day trip to Anguilla. I would like to spend a day on Shoal Bay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anguilla
Posted by: mcinnamon (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 07:18PM

You can take the ferry out of Marigot. When you reach Anguilla, hire a taxi driver to take you to Shoal Bay and also designate a time for him to pick you up for the return to the ferry.

Someone here will probably know the departure times and cost. As I recall, the ferry was about $20 per person round trip and you'll need your passport.

mc

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 11:05PM

BobV,

We have been spending a few days of our St. Maarten vacation on Anguilla for the past two years so if it helps, the ferry leaves from Marigot about every 30-40 minutes starting at about 8 - 8:15 and the last ferry of the day leaves about 6-6:15. The cost as of March was still US $12.00 each way and the departure fees were US $3. from Marigot and US $5. from Blowing Point. Those who stay overnight on AXA now pay a departure fee of $20. And yes - you do need a valid passport to make this trip even if day-tripping so don't leave it in your hotel safe or you'll be back a lot faster than anticipated.

There is also a Dutch side ferry which runs $35. one way or $60. round trip. We took the regular Marigot ferry over to Anguilla but we were tired and decided to use the other one on the return and it was pretty nice to come right into Simpson Lagoon by the airport.

The above information was e-mailed to me on Feb. 27, 2008, by Lyle Conner of Cheers/MVShauna and you should be able to reach him via e-mail at cheers@anguillanet.com should you have any further questions.

Regarding Anguilla itself, the most popular section of Shoal Bay seems to be the Uncle Ernie's location but we've fallen in love with the Allamanda Beach Hotel and Gwen's Reggae Bar - she serves up awesome lunches with the best pasta salad I've ever had. And to make the day complete, every Sunday they have a pick-up band that plays and really gets the place hopping. Visitors and locals alike come just to hear them play. If you're a snorkeler you will be one very happy camper here as all of Anguilla is a designated marine water park, and yes, you can rent chairs and umbrellas very reasonably at Gwens.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2008 07:56AM by pat.

Posted by: candu (---.psc-cfp.gc.ca)
Date: May 30, 2008 01:47PM

The ferry price has gone up to $15 dollars plus tax.
A great source of information is Anguilla Guide which includes a section for taxi rates.
There is also the Anguilla forum Anguilla forum
We also prefer the Gwen's end of Shoal Bay and love the pasta salad. I wish I could get the recipe.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 30, 2008 05:20PM

Candu,

I've been working on Rosie (on Mullet Beach) for three years now for the secret to her ribs and I'm thinking I'm still missing something so as much as I love Gwen's pasta, I'm not even going there.

Thanks for the updates on the ferry rates.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: indi (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2008 05:57PM

Pat:

Can you please describe the ferry ride? Is there more than one ferry?

A couple of people told me that the ferry is very confining and the fumes from deisel fuel are strong...that would bother me, I'm afraid.

Your thoughts? Thanks!

joyce m-c

Date: May 31, 2008 06:40PM

Hi, Joyce,

First of all, you have to know that I enjoy boats so it takes a lot to get to me. I thought the old sail cats to St. Barts were the best and I had no issues with the Edge to Saba although the rest of the family including DH did.

Regarding the ferries to Anguilla, the boats we've gone on have been varied in size and configuration. Last time over we sat on the inside but we didn't feel confined at all and truthfully, there were more than enough window drapes open that I didn't have any problems with the fumes, nor did DH and he would have been apt to had the fumes been bad. The year before we were on a smaller boat and we snagged the only pair of o/s seats and went with the breezes in our face, so again - no problem. The ride really is very short - 20-25 minutes from Marigot to Blowing Point.

Regarding the Blowing Point to Simpson Bay Lagoon ferry, I'd say it was perhaps 5-10 minutes longer, if that and although the boat was on the smaller side (reasonably so since fewer people are willing to pay the extra $$s) it was more than roomy enough and very comfortable. Where the Marigot ferry takes a straight shot across from Anguilla, the Simpson Bay ferry enters Simpson Lagoon at the bridge by Marios and comes across the lagoon to Jo's Steakhouse. Again, no problem at all for either of us.

Personally, I'm thinking on a normal St. Maarten day, as long as the seas aren't running too hard, the trip to Anguilla is usually not a big deal but if you were the least skeptical, I'm sure the people at the ferry terminal would have the whole story.

I don't know if I've helped or muddied the waters even more but if you haven't ever been to Anguilla, it truly is a very nice day or an even nicer stay-over as long as you know what you're getting into and that it isn't St. Martin by a long shot.

Respectfully,

pat

Date: May 31, 2008 08:32PM

As always, Pat, you've been a big help!

We might look into one of the speed boats, just in case.

joyce m-c

Posted by: _bruce (69.158.45.---)
Date: June 01, 2008 09:57AM

Can you tell me where exactly on the Dutch side the ferry leaves from. And do you need reservations, or just show up. TIA.

Date: June 01, 2008 11:50AM

Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you tell me where exactly on the Dutch side
> the ferry leaves from. And do you need
> reservations, or just show up. TIA.

Bruce,

The more I'm hearing and reading, I'm thinking there are multiple Dutch side ferries to Anguilla - I've heard of a private one that you can charter and I've heard CapJ has their own private boat that will meet you as well as the one we've taken from Blowing Point to Jos Steak House in the Simpson Lagoon.

I've also read of boats that go from the old Fathoms and Turtle Inn dock, so truthfully, at this point, if it were me I would e-mail the address I think I posted in an earlier post and ask them the exact questions you need answered. I would hate to offer the wrong information and have someone depend on it as fact when in this particular case, there really are so many variables.

Respectfully,

pat

Date: June 01, 2008 01:54PM

Below is info that I've received from Shauna Shuttle Services

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for your e-mail. The boat leaves from 2 different docks in St. Maarten. One directly from the airport, and the other from Simpson Bay. There are 2 covered passenger power boats;
One accommodates 22 passengers maximum, and the other 12 passengers. We operate daily to and from St. Maarten airport, and Simpson Bay and the trip is approximately 22-25 minutes. We meet most international flights, and our schedule is as follows:

Leaves St. Maarten
8:15am, 10.15am, 12.30pm, 2.30pm, 5.00pm.

Leaves Anguilla
7:30am, 9:30am, 11.00am, 12.30pm (by request) and 4.00pm.

Should you need to make a reservation, we require flight details. You may also contact via telephone 264 476 0975. Thanks again fro contacting Shauna Shuttle Service and we look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Barbara

Yes you may do the day trip with us. Please advise what time and which port you will be leaving from. If you use the Simpson Bay dock, an agent (Brenda or Jaanon) is always there. If you are taking the airport dock, then we would need specific times to meet you. Please also advise what type of passports you carry, and how many will be in your party. Please note that round trip tickets are $60.00 per person. Look forward to hearing from you so that we can confirm. Thanks again for choosing Shauna Shuttle Services.

Best regards,
Barbara

One dock is at Simpson Bay infront of Ric's Place (where the bridge is at), at the other dock is across the street from the Juliana Airport (on the Eastern side) at Joe's Steak House.

joyce m-c

Date: June 01, 2008 02:31PM

Joyce,

Thanks for your posting.

In reading this, I'm thinking this is the same company we used and although we did it very last minute from Blowing Point to Jo's Steakhouse, I wouldn't hesitate to do this route again. It was very convenient.

Without a doubt, should we decide to stay over at Anguilla again this coming April I'm thinking I'm going to make my reservations through them. There also was a bus when we arrived at Jos that we could take and I think it cost $3. to be delivered at the airport departure area doors and then we continued on to our hotel. Very nice service, IMHO.

Again, much thanks for your information.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: Liz (24.139.149.---)
Date: June 01, 2008 07:15PM

Hi Pat!
My family and I (4ad/2ch) have a scheduled trip to St Martin (with a stop in Anguilla)...our connection trip was delayed for two hours...
What is your suggestion to do in this time? ...I was thinking (to gain time) to get a ferry from Anguilla to Simpson Bay (near to my hotel); but as I read your emails maybe is a lot expensive, and we should wait in Anguilla.
Where would be a nice place to eat during this time?

pat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, Joyce,
>
> First of all, you have to know that I enjoy boats
> so it takes a lot to get to me. I thought the old
> sail cats to St. Barts were the best and I had no
> issues with the Edge to Saba although the rest of
> the family including DH did.
>
> Regarding the ferries to Anguilla, the boats we've
> gone on have been varied in size and
> configuration. Last time over we sat on the
> inside but we didn't feel confined at all and
> truthfully, there were more than enough window
> drapes open that I didn't have any problems with
> the fumes, nor did DH and he would have been apt
> to had the fumes been bad. The year before we
> were on a smaller boat and we snagged the only
> pair of o/s seats and went with the breezes in our
> face, so again - no problem. The ride really is
> very short - 20-25 minutes from Marigot to Blowing
> Point.
>
> Regarding the Blowing Point to Simpson Bay Lagoon
> ferry, I'd say it was perhaps 5-10 minutes longer,
> if that and although the boat was on the smaller
> side (reasonably so since fewer people are willing
> to pay the extra $$s) it was more than roomy
> enough and very comfortable. Where the Marigot
> ferry takes a straight shot across from Anguilla,
> the Simpson Bay ferry enters Simpson Lagoon at the
> bridge by Marios and comes across the lagoon to
> Jo's Steakhouse. Again, no problem at all for
> either of us.
>
> Personally, I'm thinking on a normal St. Maarten
> day, as long as the seas aren't running too hard,
> the trip to Anguilla is usually not a big deal but
> if you were the least skeptical, I'm sure the
> people at the ferry terminal would have the whole
> story.
>
> I don't know if I've helped or muddied the waters
> even more but if you haven't ever been to
> Anguilla, it truly is a very nice day or an even
> nicer stay-over as long as you know what you're
> getting into and that it isn't St. Martin by a
> long shot.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> pat
> smiling smileysmiling smiley

Date: June 01, 2008 08:59PM

Liz,

I'm really sorry but I'm not getting what you're asking me.

If you want to take the ferry from Anguilla to St. Maarten (Dutch side near the airport), it will be $30.pp plus the appropriate departure fees. If you choose to go Anguilla to St. Martin (Marigot/French side) it's only $15. plus departure fees but then you still need to take a taxi to the airport, or your hotel on St. Maarten.

Are you trying to eat in Anguilla or in St. Maarten?

Again, my apologies because I'm not sure what you're asking.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: cuznvin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 02, 2008 08:37PM

Would anyone like to give their opinion on whether they think going to SXM first for a week and then a few days in Anguilla or to do it the opposite way would be better?

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |