- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: La Belle Creole
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2010 03:15PM

i believe your question was answered if you read my post above.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: islandbound (86.63.4.---)
Date: October 19, 2010 05:43AM

For those interested in the current state of the property, here is a link to a new video of La Belle Creole filmed by an AUC medical student:-

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: October 19, 2010 08:20AM

Great video!! now, maybe Neil can anser this, the "hole" they found, with the two entrances what is that called? Is that Davids or Devils hole? Years ago we stumbled upon that area, probably before th resort was even closed, sea urchins loaded in the water and a huge rope from a ship to climb down. Or are there several of these types of areas on the island, is it the same one you see from rouge?

Posted by: Neil Rooney (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2010 11:19AM

I have always known it as DAVID'S HOLE....

There used to be a wooden ladder on the eastern edge, this was over 20 years ago...

Just Another Ho Hum Day On D Planet

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2010 06:21PM

yes, it's David's hole... my "secret garden" during many many years....

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Obsessed (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 26, 2010 08:00PM

In 1994 my wife and I honeymooned at La Belle Creole. We share the fondest memories of the resort. We recently had the opportunity to return to Saint Martin and did some brief exploring on the property. Fortunately, due to watching several YouTube videos of the current state of the property, we were somewhat prepared for what we saw.

After ducking under the gate arm at the main entrance, we proceeded for approximately a 1/4 mile until running into an six to eight foot fence. From this fence the famous pink tower was visible in the distance...leaning. A quick right through some thick brush and debris towards the water allowed us to get past the gate and onto the walkway that ran between the lower lying units on the property.

We ducked in and out of several units. Although they looked structurally sound, weather, time and vandalism has clearly taken a toll. Most of the units were completely devoid of anything other than broken glass and debris, but we did find a few units with a dresser, vacuum cleaner or ceiling fan still present. Daylight was quickly disappearing and quite frankly we were unnerved by the experience. We decided rather than proceed on our exploration toward the pool, lobby, tower and the property's beach area we began our return to the main gate.

One of the concrete and tile La Belle Creole signs flanking the entrance way stands perfectly intact in defiance of the elements. The other is in a heap of rubble. I barely suppressed the desire to take a piece of the sign in rubble upon our exit. It belongs to the property, the island and its people... not I.

Nothing we saw will ever displace the memories we have from our time at La Belle Creole in 1994. The staff was the friendliest I have ever encountered. Sharing breakfast with the beautiful white birds drinking milk out of the stainless steel creamer carafe on our table was remarkable. The view from unit 28... beautiful.

If anyone knows where I can purchase a painting/artistic rendition of the property, please advise. Thank you and God Bless!

Posted by: Jordan (---.60-203-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: November 19, 2010 10:09PM

In 1969 I worked for 4 months as an assistant superintendant on the construction of La Belle Creole. I have uploaded a few pictures on Flickr. It was a different time and there are many tales to tell.

Thanks.

Jordan

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2010 07:51AM

Thanks for posting those pix Jordan.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2010 12:57PM

thanks for the pics Jordan
It sure was a different time

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Mathieu (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 23, 2010 12:02PM

Wow, 1969 ? I didn't realise that it was that old.
My first visit to the island was in 1985, which is when I remember driving past it on my little scooter.

Nice pics and thx for sharing.

Posted by: Linette (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 02, 2011 02:23PM

I too honeymooned at LBC in 1994. I just found this site after trying to research the island for a trip in a couple weeks. I had wanted to try to spend the day at the resort until I read all the posts. Can anyone suggest good tours to take on the island?

Posted by: Patrick Cullinan (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 10:01AM

Hello everyone,
I have enjoyed the texts about La Belle Creole. My wife and I honeymooned there in January of 1991 and had a very enjoyable time. I too loved seeing the tiny finches swooping down to drink my fruit juice on my table, and exit into the chandeliers. The resort was very charming and I imagine since we were there OFF SEASON, the costs were very affordable. When we were there very few people were on the resort and it was very romantic especially at night with the lighting in the entrance courtyard. I also wished to re-open the resort as a exclusive spa, but it seems that it has been purchased to be transformed into condos? That's too bad because it was a really nice resort.

Posted by: Mathieu (---.46.117.64.static-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: April 26, 2011 01:23AM

I enjoyed it too in its hey day.
I'm on island right now and drive past it everyday between my hotel and wherever I'm going. I'm hoping to take a stroll through the grounds either tomorrow or Wed.

M.

Posted by: Charles (72.252.9.---)
Date: May 14, 2011 11:14PM

You can see Saba from La Belle Creole. It towers above the lowlands and simpson Bay Lagoon

Posted by: Rita (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 10:55PM

I too honeymooned there in Sept 2nd 1994! seems to be a popular honemoon year! I'm so sad to read what has become of it. I too enjoyed the little birds swooping on to the tables to eat. The view in the morning along with the ocean breeze and delicious breakfast of eggs, fruits and pastries was my favorite part of starting each day.

Pages: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |