The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Crime Help Update........thumbs up
Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 22, 2008 07:08PM

Crime Help Update..........

This was sent to me from my friend, David, who's feverishly helping to get our emails and concerns to the appropriate people. Every little step is a giant step forward! Let's keep the heat on.......

" Hello, Contessa

I have news could you post them please.

I have seen the responsible, Gregory, from the Office du Tourisme and I will be getting a meeting with the OT's director. I gave him all the emails and told him that is to help to show the politicians that it's urgent. And he was very surprise and pleased that we can help to get heared by the politicians.
Could you give back the e-mail address New one for the Office of tourism : info@st-martin.org and g.dumel@st-martin.org.

There is an article going out in the St Martin's
Week and in the Fax Info and I'm working to get the La Pelican the article on the newspaper. Le Pelican is still not sure to do something concerning this matter ! ! ! ! ! ! ! I give some more little time and I will get on there back.

I'm also working to get some air on the radio.
I send you the articles when they will be printed.

Please ask to every body to send some mails to the
OT and the President LC Fleming this is very important it is what Gregory from the
OT told me, He needs those emails to push harder on
the Police and the gendarmes we need to have proof and a lot.

Thanks again, it might be long but we are going for
sure.

Please boost up those peoples, they need to send
more emails it will help a lot, we are getting there.

Big hugs

David "

********************************************************************************

smileys with beer Contessa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crime Help Update........thumbs up
Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.51.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 07:22PM

Just a little tought also : those email addresses, Tourism Office and Politicians are about the French side, so when you send your email, make sure they are relevant of the French Side, because if you write about crime situation which occured in Philipsburg, Maho, or anywhere else on the dutch side, I know for a fact, that they will disregard them and not pass them on the concerned party of the Dutch side (the same way Dutch side parties would act in the same case).

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: sxmmmartini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 07:27PM

No problem Philippe,
My E-mail targeted the French side...
Believe me this is as hard for me as anyone else who loves SXM.
Wendysad smiley

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 22, 2008 07:39PM

Yes, Phillipe, good point!! Thanks.

grinning smiley Contessa

Posted by: mikentara (---.152.54.240.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 10:58AM

Contessa,
I sent mine in the first batch.
Should I write ANOTHER E-mail?
I am not sure if multiple e-mails from same party are allowed?

Posted by: contessa (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 02:54PM

Sure....if you like. They'll probably not read all of them, just look at the volume! I've sent them again, too!
Thanks!!

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: Dane (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 04:45PM

This may come at a good time and coordinate with public awareness on the Dutch Side.

[www.thedailyherald.com]

Posted by: OtherHalf (12.16.111.---)
Date: May 23, 2008 08:38PM

As heart felt written are these emails, they will probably not read any of them. They are all too pumped up on numbers (new people) than caring about returning visitors.

It's a cycle, the first time you visit, you fall in love or you don't. If you fall in love, you accept everything as it is now. These people don't know what it was like years before; just like we didn't know what it was 20-25 years ago. The 20-25 year ago crowd was probably starting to be disappointed as we were becoming thrilled of our new vacation find.

I don't mean to be discouraging, it is a noble cause, but reality is people who invested in SXM years ago are being ripped off when they aren't even there. That's a fact. So, is your only target those crimes that are violent? Please, define your scope.

TPTB are concerned with new timeshare purchases and the cruise people. Oh, cruise people, they drop some bucks and leave - no real overhead there. Our favorite shop in Phillipsburg was one that sold christmas ornaments, it was on a promenade off Front St. Just a local trying to make good. I remember, her son work at Da Livio's. Well, she is not in business any more - why - because she couldn't pay what was necessary for the cruise line companies to indicate she was a good place to shop. I remember in Jersey deals like this that were mob related. So, now it's legal. Any injustice there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2008 09:08PM by OtherHalf.

Posted by: sxmmmartini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 23, 2008 09:27PM

Reality is people who invested in SXM years ago are looking pretty good...NOW!
Businesses come and go anywhere for all different reasons, SXM is no different...
Growing pains are a real factor here and it takes smart ppl to pave the right path to SXM future...

Posted by: OtherHalf (12.16.111.---)
Date: May 24, 2008 02:40AM

Sorry,

The growing pain argument is as old as the equation: tourists = jobs = less crime. I've read the term "growing pains" used in conjunction with SXM for years. Here's an articles from 1990

[query.nytimes.com]

There are other articles using this support of this argument over the years. The point is how many times a person has to invest, visit, try to enjoy a vacation reality with the misnomer following them - be patient - growing pains.

It has been used to explain away the traffic, the crime, the anything else that can't be argued against.

How many years ago were these investments, what kind of investment were they? Properties that get broken into when the owners are not there? Timeshare owners that are now facing Special Assessment Fees? Or no investment, but faith; people having stored belongings at Club Orient, only to find their belongings stolen and sold at a yard sale.

How many years are "growing pains" an acceptable excuse for poorly planned and executive actions on the part of it's officials?

I agree crime is very much an issue, but I do believe it is not a strong consideration on the part of the officials. What is important, just keep bringing in the people: the aim of Mass Marketing. I can post articles that speak to SXM wanting only to entertain her visitors, nothing about keeping them safe or having them return.

How are they going to do this when many successful business people are fleeing the island: Neil, owner's of L'Alabama (the Potins), here is an article from TDH:

[www.thedailyherald.com]

He speaks of over 40 years - how much time is enough? How long does the battles have to ensue?

I have been a strong supporter of SXM, regardlessly of the warts; but after 14 years of arguing, I'm tired of fighting a fight that has no end. The change has to come from within; and it ain't happening. Nobody is reaching the clowns in power and as a result people are taken advantage of it - legally and not legally.

Face it, SXM has made it's bed, guess they can sleep in it. When are they gonna find those smart people?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2008 03:17AM by OtherHalf.

Posted by: contessa (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2008 07:41AM

Complacency is a breeding ground for disaster! If you're not made aware that something is broken you can't fix it. Every little bit of improvement is a step in the right direction. Let's keep the HEAT on!!

>grinning smiley< Contessa

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.54-160.caribserve.net)
Date: May 24, 2008 08:56AM

OtherHalf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How are they going to do this when many successful
> business people are fleeing the island: Neil,
> owner's of L'Alabama (the Potins), here is an
> article from TDH:
>

With all my respect, I don't think Neil "flew" the island because of crime issues, neither did the Potins,owners of l'Alabama, who left sxm because they got divorced...THIS is something nobody else can control except them!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2008 11:11AM

that is absolutely true, Philippe
People leave the island for many reasons.. it is always happening and it is most often NOT due to crime, but is due to other issues.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 24, 2008 05:52PM

I'm very sad to read about Mr.Goldman decision to close his business and leave SXM. I don't blame him because if he doesn't look out for his own safety then who will not the GOV.The officials still don't get it that they have to stop this island from becoming another Dodge City 1880's.The punishments to criminals are all suspended sentences with very little jail time.The criminals know they have little to fear from being caught.As a longtime vacationer I've watched SXM for over 30 years develope in good ways and bad.Since the hurricians I've noticed the crime situation each year getting worse.When Gov & police officials are constantly arrested and convicted of crimes it sets a poor example for everyone else to follow.Inaddition the newspapers must stop under reporting crime and blaming out islands.I know years ago we never thought about being a victim of crime on SXM but since 2003 we've had some form interfear with our vacation.When we're on SXM during our vacation becoming a crime victim is constantly on our minds.And always having to worry is not the way tourists want to spend vacation time.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |