The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 14 of 19
Re: OK. I am starting a new thread on "back in the day" stories
Posted by: carolv (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 12:06PM

Remember picking up car at the hotel for a couple of years, then at the airport, then had to go to the office and now can pick it up at airport again-seems every few years rules change

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 03:08PM

I remember the car rental situation changed once or twice. During our first trip 78 we reserved a car at the airport and it was delivered to our hotel.Then a few yrs later the car had to be delivered because the TAXI drivers complained about lost income.Also for a while the cars had to be returned to a car return lot across from the airport.The rental company rep was supposed to meet the renter apon returning the car but most times they didn't showup.I watched many renters upset because the rep wasn't there and they had to catch the plane to go home.The good old DAYS.

Date: August 09, 2008 05:31PM

Anyone else remember paying a $5.00 departure tax.How about when the drive time from Orient to the airport was 20 minutes.Remember having lunch outside at the roof top airport restaurant and waiting to see your flight arrive.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2008 06:22PM

that broke my heart when they closed that restaurant. I loved that place.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2008 06:30PM

Wow, Bob,

A five dollar departure fee? You must have been a relative late comer.

Our first trip, in 1973, kids that we were back then eye rolling smiley, heading home we were quite concerned because we'd cut our funds short on the island (we really were pretty young and had little sense of what the island could cost eye popping smiley....) and while we knew about the car park fee back in NY, and we knew about the skycaps and such at the airport in NY, we also knew we had to put gas in the car to get from the airport back home to CT after paying bridge tolls and such, but we didn't know we'd have to pay a $2.00 departure fee to leave SXM angry smiley- EACH!! And that $2. each really cut into our finances!! thumbs down

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Date: August 09, 2008 10:10PM

Barbara,I guess that the first plane watching from the bar/restaurant on SXM.I agree it was great to be out there and seeing the DC-10's & Airbuss's landing & taking off.I really miss that section and the inside part too. Even though the cashier tried many times to pad our bill with an extra $10.00.He always had the checks next to that calculator on the desk for show.Several times I complained to him (cashier) about the additional money added. I alway add the items on restaurant checks to verify the total amount.I'm guessing he figured tourists were in a rush to board their flights and won't check the bill.Strange how the same additions to our bill would happen over several yrs time.The good old DAYS....Anyone know if the owners/manager opened a new restaurant on SXM.

Date: August 09, 2008 10:18PM

Pat, I remember being angry that we had to pay to leave the island that first trip.I was thinking after all the money we spent on Little Bay Beach Hotel accomodations, airfare, food, car,taxi's and purchases now they want another $5.00 unbelieveable. ......Hey, Remember when returning to JFK the AA flight stopped in Antigue (sp)and then on to NY.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2008 10:51PM

Bob,

Our earliest flights to St. Maarten were via KLM from JFK and were direct both ways with no diversion to Antigua but on one of our earliest trips on AA stopping there on the way home, I recall a lady with a broken leg who'd flown down from NY and needing to deplane in Antigua and being unable to do so via the stairs. What a dilema this caused for the flight and ground personnel.

Ultimately they had to bring one of the hoise machines they loaded food and drink carts with and the lady was rolled in a wheelchair from the plane onto this lift and ultimately lowered to the ground, something they'd probably not do today given the concerns of safety and lawsuits. I think the 'brief stop' in Antigua ended up taking a few hours while they figured this all out confused smiley .

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Date: August 10, 2008 09:55AM

I remember flying from NY to SXM on KLM..
Man,were those nice flights.
I also remember in later years flying on AA via Antigua.
I also remmeber flying to SXM from NY and changing planes in San Juan. We flew Prinair from San Juan to SXM.
anyone remember Prinair (1966-84) ??

Date: August 10, 2008 12:15PM

Barbara, I flew on Air Florida, Trans America, Pan Am, AA, Eastern Airlines and charter planes but my favorite airplane was the DC-10. Maybe you remember in the early 80's the Eastern plane that crashed threw the fence and ended up across the road in the water.The plane couldn't stop in time at the turn around area and no injuries among the passangers.I'm pretty sure the DH had the photo in the newspaper.Also until a few yrs ago the planes would fly to the left after taking off around the island.I enjoyed looking out the window and seeing Orient and the other beaches and areas as a last view.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.63-104.caribserve.net)
Date: August 10, 2008 06:31PM

The owner of Cafe Juliana are now owning Bajatsu in Maho.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 11, 2008 09:17AM

Philippe,Thanks for the info. I heard he/they intended to open a restaurant elsewhere.I haven't tried that restaurant to date but I'll have to remember to bring my pocket calculator. HaHaHa

Posted by: carolv (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 11, 2008 01:03PM

No wonder I lliked bajatsu so much-really loved going to that restaurant before everty flight home having the last rum punch, burger and cigarette before boarding. I also remember (before the hurricane wrecked it) going to that restaurant for dinner even when we were not coming or leaving-it was that good

Date: August 17, 2008 11:13AM

Anyone on the FORUM stay at Little Bay Beach Hotel during the late 70's & early 80's remember LIMBO night......Anyone stay at LaHabitation around Thanksgiving and Pres weeks Feb. during the late 80's until the hurricain.

Date: August 17, 2008 12:35PM

Bob
do you remember the famous Little Bay BBQ?

Maybe someone can probably help me clean up this picture too.
I am still struggling with photo elements.

Pages: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 14 of 19

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |