The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Re: Philippe/Barbara
Posted by: bettenan (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 01:01PM

Grumpy - I couldn't resist

Anon1..don't look at me & my emoticons for any TTOL issues..we're harmless

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2008 01:44PM

hey
it wasn't Phillipe or me..we didn't sabotage TTOL
honest!

Posted by: contessa (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 01:46PM

Phillipe, you know how I feel, I expressed it in my PM......and Barbara, you know, while we agree that we don't always have to agree, I have a tremendous respect for you, so I'm sure your decision to leave was well thought out!!
As you know, I've been bucking the censorship for a long time and have been bumped on occasion. The posting censorship has gotten ridiculous!! Why can't we be honest about our beloved island? She comes with flaws, which we'd like to help get better, but we love her, flaws and all!! As you know, I've started a 'Stop Crime' campaign. Because, I truly love SXM and want to help make it better. Can we send some newbies out to slaughter? NO!! People must be aware of the negative changes that have taken place, lately. Visitors must be told the truth.....don't leave anything in your car....don't wear jewelry....no purses and the rest! This is education. An educated tourist will return with positive feelings. Let's be honest and keep posting!!

Regards,
Contessa

BTW.....We need a few emoticons.....I can't express myself!! ;-D

Posted by: MelissaG (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2008 01:56PM

Barbara1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi you guys
> thanks for posting.
> It certainly was an uproar over at TTOL last
> night. The whole thing started because Bob! closed
> threads on me twice yesterday. It's happened
> before but quite frankly I am tired of having it
> happen.
> I was and am still very angry. Philippe was too.
> he quit the board and I followed suit.
> and then of course all pertinent threads were not
> just closed but deleted!
> I hate to quit but I am tired of the way the
> threads and post are going over there. I
> feel..maybe wrongly..that every time I try to
> defend sxm, the posts are closed.but a lot of
> inaccurate and flaming posts are allowed to
> continue.
> it's best if I stay away..at least for awhile.
> you can always PM me over there or here if you
> need anything.
> I will continue to monitor TTOL board but will
> not be posting.
> you can always post to me over here because I will
> be here.
> Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I know what you mean about the threads being deleted or locked. I know I have posted several times on the "other" website and mine get deleted or locked. I didn't think I wasn't saying anything out of text either. I know over there with some of the moderators, ok, 1 in particular, he closes my stuff all the time. I thought it was just happening to myself and he had something against me. Certain people over there can say what they want and how they want, but if you're not in the "clique" you're basically out....and people tend to ignore what you say, or they criticize big time. I've held my tongue for a long time, but I'm sorry to see it turn out this way, but I'm glad others are seeing it too.
ps...I love your blog, along with Philippe's. I read them both daily!

Sincerely,
Melissa

Melissa

Posted by: indi (---.51.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: May 14, 2008 02:43PM

on island now...don't know what happened and have pm'd P & B.
what I do know is that you really have to talk to and LISTEN to locals' perspectives.

so, i'll be in here, too.

joyce m-c

Posted by: fabila (155.72.24.---)
Date: May 14, 2008 03:36PM

I have been a member of this board for probably as long as TTOL but don't post as often or come on as much as I do the other board. Am sorry that posts have been deleted. I will make it a point to visit this site more often now.

Posted by: Dane (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 05:23PM

Looking forward to seeing the volume of information pick up on this board in the coming weeks since I think there will be some migration here. In addition to the issues well-described by Philippe and Barbara, TTOL of late has become a bit too much like a high school lunch-room, with an increasing number of trolls apparently looking more for a foodfight than to eat. Still some good discussion, but I lately find more frustration than benefit, as the number of posters I set to ignore increases.

Posted by: islandgem (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: May 14, 2008 05:32PM

So sorry to hear of the unfortunate incident yesterday. TTOL will not be the same without your views and totally accurate island information.

Take a break from it all and please reconsider as most of us value everything you have to say.

I feel the thread was not closed by what you said, but agree it was not in order.

They really need to handle things differently and perhaps will eventually see that. There are a lot of good people there and we considered you both two of the best.
Elizabeth

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 14, 2008 05:59PM

Barbara and Philippe,

I don't know exactly what transpired yesterday on TTOL and try as I might to put it all together, I know there are pieces of the puzzle that I'm just not getting.

Barbara, as I told you in my private message, we've all been been reigned in at times on TTOL - and I know myself, I didn't like it when it happened to me. But I guess they have to do what they do the way they do it for reasons known only unto themselves. I don't personally think they do it maliciously or with any specific intent directed at any particular member, but I tend to be a bit of a Pollyanna. I hope that down the road, they might review what happened yesterday and reconsider. If they don't, TTOL will miss two wonderful members.

I know for an absolute fact that TTOL will NOT be the same without both of you participating and I know your absence will be sincerely felt by all who have come to know you through both forums and who have come to appreciate your particularly brand of insight and knowledge on most things St. Maarten/St. Martin. I truly hope this can all resolve itself in a manner that everyone can be comfortable with.

As for me, I love the island and I've come to think of so many of you as my dear special friends so I will probably continue to look for you in both places.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.52-150.caribserve.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 06:48PM

I wanted to thank all of you for your understanding. I am glad that you found us on this one, and I hope you will keep coming. From now, this is where I will post the info regarding St Martin, with the most impartiality as possible, publishing facts and no rumors or belief... just facts.
I am convinced that this board can be as much alive as the otherone without all the bickering, name calling and partial censorship (as long as the troll stay away...winking smiley
Thanks again, and pass by here as much as you can, feel free to ask some questions, and/or post some trip report as well.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: candu (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: May 14, 2008 08:32PM

I was just over on TTOL trying to find out if Carol had responded to my question and to view the responses to my question "What is going on here". Just a quick PM from Carol saying that they are away and the thread I started has degenerated into a love in that totally ignores the issue.
While I can apply my own filters to eliminate the useless posts I find it to be too much effort.
If the people who provide the valuable information about the island which we all enjoy are here then so am I.
Now if Leslie from Kenny's was here.......

Posted by: vinny (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 08:32PM

Hi Philippe and Barbara! I think I am going to visit here too. Do you mind Philippe?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I can not stand that Bob! How long does it take to get the email from gobeach to when you register??

Date: May 14, 2008 08:45PM

hi Vinny
welcome!
I think you got the email because I see your post on the other thread and you were registered.
Thanks for all the support.
That goes for all of you.

Posted by: vinny (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 08:47PM

It wont let me login...I never did get the email though..

Date: May 14, 2008 09:06PM

vinny
on the emoticon thread when you posted I thought you were logged in.
If you don't get the email by tomorrow, let me knwo
I'll email gert for you.

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |