The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

mary's Boon owner taking timeshare owners to cleaners!
Posted by: anonymous (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 08:04PM

We are still s0 upset over the timeshare situation at Mary's Boon. We purchased 2 weeks, several years ago, and love returning each summer. Last year we met the new owner Raoul, whom we thought was going to make some wonderful improvements. Well...one of his "improvements" is getting rid of all the timeshare owners. Instead, he wants all of us to purchase our unit outright...for big $$$, or else pay an increased maintenance fee of nearly $1000 for each week. ($2000 for our wks.!!) This is so incredible to all of us...and certainly so unfair! It s certainly nothing that we can afford..as a teacher and a nurse.

Obviously Raoul is an entrepenour who is interested in making money only..not looking out for the 25 or so timeshare owners. (there are not that many of us!) And to top it all off, Mark Cleveland , the previous owner, maintains several units there and is on the "board." Mark and Carla should be ashamed ...they were happy to take our money from our timeshare purchases and buy real estate on St. Maarten and also in Texas...at our expense.But yet as a board member, Mark sits and watches this happen to the people that purchased from him.

We have always loved going to SXM each summer..but it looks like we will not be going back..probably ever, as this has left bad taste in our mouth. We loved the Mary's Boone that we purchased. Any suggestions as to how to stop Raoul from this???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mary's Boon owner taking timeshare owners to cleaners!
Posted by: fabila (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 06:20PM

We are not timeshare owners but repeat resort visitors and while we love Mary's Boon the price of the rooms have gone up significantly with no improvements. We would be paying $100 more a night and that is off season if we returned for a 7th visit. We have decided instead to try the Beachside Villa's. What we liked and appreciated about Mary's Boon was the close proximity to the beach and how quiet it was there. BV will offer us the same minus an onsite restaurant and bar at a much more affordable price.

Posted by: OtherHalf (12.16.111.---)
Date: March 16, 2008 09:15PM

I'm afraid you are just the next set of people to get the pork loin from being timeshare owner - Atrium, Sapphire, Divi came before you. I must say tho, this sort of rip-off is new and more extreme - the others used "special accessment fees" to achieve their money making.

The real problem is there are no laws to protect timeshare owners. They are subjected to, it seems, anything these resorts want to do.

If enough of you can come together, hire a lawyer to have the entity stand by their contract.

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 07:56AM

are they asking for a one time 1000 assessment per week, or is that 1000 per week every year increase inmaintenance. Because there should be caps in place as to not allow increases in maintenance.

Date: March 17, 2008 09:18PM

Kim,

One year, two years - who cares - these timeshare resorts are putting the screws to people who honestly and earnestly bought into a plan to foster their vacatons and the betterment of their chosen resort.

Instead of using the high price maintenance fees toward the betterment, who knows where it has gone. A little math of # of weeks and the maintenance fee of each week foreach unit would reveal unbelievable amount of money - question is - where did it go that they (resort owners) should have to ask for more.

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 18, 2008 07:58AM

I'm surely not defending any timeshare property - I sit daily praying I don't get hit - own three weeks at the Towers. But my point is it does matter one year - two years etc. Mary's Boon is a very small timeshare - and the op is saying there is only 25 owners? Who would have thought that gas would cost what it does, electricity costs have increased, water has increased, remember when part of the resort headed out to sea?? Insurance has skyrocketed. We have seen it here in the states in our own business, we eat some of the expenses, but must pass some onto the consumer.

Does Mary's Boon offer statements, or explain where the money goes, etc?? Would I want to pay 1000.00 a unit in addition to my maintenance, hell no. but if that's what it would cost to hangon to what I have already invested - I would probably do it.

But aren't there caps in the contracts? Didn't they rebuild a few areas and update some of the rooms? I wouldn't say money isn't being put into the place? But I haven't been on the property in probably 2-3 years. Just some thoughts.

What are they asking to buy the units outright?

Date: March 19, 2008 07:01AM

"What are they asking to buy the units outright?"

To make as much money, as quickly as possible.

All the increases you mention (gas, electricity, water, etc) have always been increasing; and so have rhere been increase in hotel rates, meals and other sources of income for these resorts to cover the cost of doing business.

When I first went to Mary's Boon, 14 years ago, it wasn't timeshare. They were successful without the fixed income of maintenance fees. So, persons buy a timeshare slot - the first monies realized by the entities owners, then they get a certain amount each year for maintenance. Then they want more. For a timeshare owner, that make it a money pit investment. For what? getting the same room, at the same time each year?

"But aren't there caps in the contracts?"

Yeah, my contract states "reasonable increase in maintenance fees", other state a percentage - SO, what do they do - call it something else "special maintenance", "special accessment". The point is, these contracts mean absolutely nothing.

Keep praying you don't get hit - it's just a matter of time. When the first resort got away with it, it opened the door for everyone to follow. It's just matter of time when and how much greed exists with these people.

Posted by: irina (---.z169-104-66.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 01:20PM

Well "Other Half",
You certainly did not answer Kim's question so why quote her and parry? Make yourself clear. If you do not want to state the facts ie: price then forget about it.
Cheers
irina

Date: March 19, 2008 02:05PM

Irina,

10K for a studio. Answered.

The point still is that these timeshare resorts should not be getting away with this.

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 19, 2008 04:37PM

10K for a studio and you own it for the entire year??? what are the monthly fees? this sounds like a deal! Are they offering a rental pool? What are the percentages they are keeping on rental of your unit?

Date: March 19, 2008 08:32PM

Idiot,

10K for a guaranteed one week per year for probably 40 years. The maintenance fee each year is another 1100.00 on top of that.

"What are the percentages they are keeping on rental of your unit?" - I guess that depends if you have them rent it for you. I've been very successful renting our without anybody having any take.

Folks, instead of harping on each message here, get back on topic - the screwing people who invested in timeshare properties and the fact they are getting away with it. Play your games elsewhere.

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 20, 2008 07:45AM

So I'm an Idiot now - whats the matter with you?? I'm asking serious questions, in the original post it says:

Instead, he wants all of us to purchase our unit outright...for big $$$, or else pay an increased maintenance fee of nearly $1000 for each week

Why do you think I questioned the 10K? duh....
Maybe the issue is your the idiot and they just want you out??? hmmm

Here I was trying to figure out what was really going on and you stoop to name calling. I'm done here.

Posted by: OtherHalf is StupidHalf (192.193.221.---)
Date: March 20, 2008 12:39PM

OtherHalf...you are polluting this board with your idiocracy and I feel like I am killing brain cells when I read your stupid, uneducated posts.

Posted by: irina (---.z169-104-66.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 01:25PM

I agree with Kim. This thread should be locked. Moderator on holiday though.
Hmm
irina

Posted by: cv (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 02:55PM

Irina and Kim the original poster of this thread was anonymous not the other half who seems to be posting all sort of amounts that they probably are must making up as they go along-the original poster days the maintenance was going up to almost a thousand a year if they didnt buy them outright.

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |