The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Tow Truck Woes
Posted by: Brian (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 08:38PM

We just got back from a wonderful week last Saturday.... with a few exceptions! We have decided that most business' on the Island could use some ethics training. From the start, we were mislead at Thrifty, We were promised a new Hyundai van, and received a 4 year old van that had just been painted. It seemed that we had to dispute almost every bill for overcharges (Dutch side only). But, the kicker was when we went to Phillipsburg to shop, our car got towed. We intentionally got out to see that we were ok and not in a bus zone, we had room to spare. We walked to the Police station (what a joke) and they could not tell us which one of the three tow companies had our rental. After three hours, a driver from Black Dog towing picked me up (half in the bag surrounded by Bud bottles) and drove me to a remote lot in the middle of the Island. I went into this 4x6 flea trap in the middle of a junk yard and paid a woman $65.00 to get the van back. I argued with the driver about this scam they have going on over there. The car was totally parked in a legal spot. A cab driver told us that it is a scam. They spot rentals by the plate, tow them, and know that the tourists are just going to pay up! The police station does not even issue a citation. The car locked when we left it, and when we retrieved it, it was unloked and taken out of gear. Anyhow.... we did have a great time, but lost half a day in Phillipsburg! We will be back...to Orient Bay!! B

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tow Truck Woes
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2008 08:40PM

where were you parked?

Posted by: luca (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2008 10:55PM

wow, same thing happened to us last year. we parked in front of a bank (around the corner from the police station) we got out to make sure that it was ok to park there. it looked ok and other cars were parked there too. we did see some uniformed type men (looked like the were bank employees)watching us. well a couple hours later (after spending a LOT of $$ shopping in phillipsburg) we returned to find our rental car gone. the same bank men said that it was towed away. (i think that they call the tow company and probably get a kicker to report cars parking there) i told them that there was no sign,they just ignored me and told me to go to the police station. 2 hours later we. too. were picked up by the tow company and taken to our car. good thing i had $65 CASH. they would not take a charge. if they did, i would have denied the charges since this is a HUGE scam.. the city should be ashamed to allow this to happen to tourist who are contributing to their economy. we ended up doing the rest of our shopping in maho and marigot (we bought 2 cameras and several pieces of jewelry and a rolex watch all NOT in phillipsburg. their LOSS because we were going to go back and buy these things the next day (before we found our what happened to our car).
we visit st martin every other year, we will not shop in phillisburg until we hear that this scam has been addressed.
E

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: January 21, 2008 09:36AM

Why didnt you just park in the pay to park lots? Never a problem and you know your cars safe from "the hook" when you leave it there.

Date: January 21, 2008 09:50AM

parking in front of the bank is for bank employees, so you did park illegally, luca.
the last time I noticed there was a small standing no parking sign there.

Posted by: hofstetter (---.net)
Date: January 21, 2008 02:58PM

I know this is after the fact but I agree the pay to park lots are worth the dollar or two.

Posted by: hoya (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2008 08:20PM

This is why most regulars don't travel to Phillipsburg any longer. Phillipsburg has no parking, is crime ridden, and dirty. Its better to shop, dine and relax on the French side.

Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2008 09:27PM

Messages like this are not constructive.

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Posted by: WWII (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2008 09:48PM

Hoya, if that were remotely true, there would be no problem finding a parking place!

Posted by: hoya (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2008 10:46PM

I must disagree with you. It's just the plain truth. Parking can never be found, pick pockets galore, and after dark, watch out!

Much different on the French side. That's my opinion, if you don't like it, tough luck. I frankly, don't like your comment.

Date: January 22, 2008 08:13AM

Hoya
you are free to express your opinion. Many people do prefer the French side.
but to make blanket statements like Philipsburg is crime ridden and dirty is just not accurate and not constructive..
The entire island including the French side does have issues with parking, crime, and cleanliness.... No one area is totally dirty and crime ridden as you seem to state.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: January 22, 2008 09:32AM

Hoyas comment is funny and show he/she doesnt have a clue. These days Philipburg is cleaner then Marigo and prettier to. And crime is about the same either place. Read about a man getting beat up while collecting his car outside of Marios Bistro and about a couple getting mugged outside MiniClub in Marigo. And I personally seen the rats running around the marina restraunt area. Both sides have goods points and bad points but I think Hoya should check the facts before making such a blanket statements. You can prefer one or the other but why comdemm either?

Posted by: hoya (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2008 06:04PM

Ok,

Your point is taken. The marina area is sketchy at night, I agree.

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: January 23, 2008 01:53PM

hoya - there are plenty of parking lots in Phillipsburg! Not sure where your looking, but we never have an issue parking. There is a lot by the University, lot very close to town, lot near Bobby's Marina, and one further down that is always empty. Sure these are all pay lots, but they are lots. Dont really know of any city you can go to and not pay for parking. Another option that everyone seems to forget, is if they are concerned about being in town, take a taxi in, they will take you where ever you want, and then take one back to your resort. The bus is also another option. There are many options to choose from. But to say the French side ie: Marigot doesnt have the same problems, is just nonsense!

Posted by: luca (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2008 12:47PM

we tried the lots and they were full. there was absoulutely NO sign saying no parking on the road in front of the bank. those bank employees just stood there and watched us park and if it was not allowed, why couldn't they have told us not to park there. they are in on the scam with the tow company scammers.

my point was WHY would this city want to scam tourists who come there to shop, dine and PAY $$ for their services. do they not want tourists to come and help their economy?? we love phillispburg, but we do not love getting scammed.
marigot has parking issues too, however, they do offer a nice, big, open, FREE lot to park in. this attracts tourists and welcomes them to shop and spend $$. at least it does us!!!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |