The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Just got back
Posted by: alreginfo (216.146.80.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 03:14PM

Just got back very late Sunday night from our first trip to SXM. What a great vacation.

Stayed at the Pelican Resort, unit is owned by a friend. Nice place, although the road leading to it was a bit narrow due to the new construction on the Pelican Resort Condos.

Got used to the driving in about a day. Wasn't a big deal at all. Did try driving up in Grand Case, and decided I'd get a bus or taxi after that. Otherwise no problems. Leslie Bruce was the greatest with the car rental.

Did do the 12-metre challenge. It was fun, but with my sailing experience, a bit predictable and mild. But I knew that going in, and was able to enjoy it. I was on the winning boat (True North 4). I'd probably even do it again if I could. Best part was I got to steer the boat after the racing. Probably because of my experience, but not sure.

The food - OMG! Awesome. I was really disappointed with the restaurant we went to the first night. La Veranda Cafe or soemthing liek that. It was at the Pelican Resort above the Red Piano. Slow service, overcooked conch fritters (and only 3 for $6 - ugh). But the rest of the week was great. Lee's was just awesome. Great red snapper and conch fritters. The Turtle Pier I also highly recommend. I had a beef dish with papaya fruit that was just incredible. My wife had coconut shrimp - also very good. What put it over the top was that Ramon (I think that was his name) made a triple deck grilled cheese sandwich for my daughter - and it's not on the menu at all. She's a real picky eater, and wouldn't touch anything else on the menu. Great food and great service. Pineapple Pete's was pretty good, although the music was a little loud. Wanted to try Ric's Place for a burger, but it was closed. There was a for sale sign on the building. In Marigot, there's a little corner place (Wish I could remember the name) called Tomos Corner Pub or something like that. It's the one at the end of the whole string of restaurants by the flea market and ferrys. We just wanted a quick sandwich for lunch, and he has some really good burgers. Another place is Sint Rose Cafe in Phillipsburg. Twice as much sandwich plus a "salad" for the same price as at Subway or Quiznos. And it was good, too.

We also went to the butterfly garden on L'Gallion Road. That was fun. We got a lot of pictures. Also went to the zoo on the island. Small, a little unkempt in areas, but overall not bad. Our daughter enjoyed both, so that makes it a winner.

Did some shopping in Phillipsburg on Saturday afternoon. That was the only time it rained on us. But rain there doesn't last long - only about 10 minutes on our trip.

Definitely a good trip, and I'd love to go back if I can. Worst part of the whole trip was going through immigration and customs in Miami, and only because of needing to get all our luggage, wait in 4 lines, and deal with a very tired cranky child.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 03:27PM by alreginfo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just got back
Posted by: WWII (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 04:40PM

Does anyone know if Ric's is closed permanently?

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 08:47PM

Thanks for the trip report, always good to hear from a first timer. Haven't heard a positive comment about a Miami airport connection, yet, so you're not alone.

Ed

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 06, 2007 09:44PM

alreginfo,

Thanks from me, too, for sharing your trip. Glad it was a good one and glad you enjoyed so many of the things that make it such a great place.

The only comment I can make is to second Ed's thoughts about Miami - we're lucky enough to be able to take direct nonstop flights but on the few times we've had to change planes we've always opted for San Juan over Miami. Every time we've been through Miami it's been the trip(s) from hell and ours were all domestic!!

So, do you think you'll go back some day?

Again, thanks for sharing your trip.

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: alreginfo (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2007 11:15PM

Actually, on the way TO sxm, going through Miami was a breeze. Coming back was bad but not disaterous, but it was on a Sunday and later in the day. I'd hate to try that mid week. In some regards it was worse than Chicago O'Hare. We chose Miami over San Juan because our daughter would not be happy in an ATR72 (prop noise), and the shortest layover was 4 hours, and some were overnight. At least Miami broke it up into two 3 hour flights with short but manageable layovers.

Will we come back? I'd love to. Pay off a couple things from this trip, and start saving money again. Maybe in a couple of years. Got a couple of smaller trips we want to take first. But next time I'll definitely make time for Maho Beach. I did go, but the timing was wrong, so the only pics I got were of the "Dangert - low flying aircraft" sign and an ATR72 on takeoff roll.

One other place we had dinner was the Boat House. It was good, but IMHO, not as good as Lee's or Turtle Pier.

Did also forget to add that we rented a cell phone from Sharon (Queen of St. Maarten). Didn't actually get to meet her, but the phone and prices were as advertised, and it worked out great. She even programmed in the local police, fire, and rescue phone numbers for us. We didn't need them, but it's my insurance policy - better to have them and not need them than to need them when you don't have them. So Sharon and Leslie Bruce are on our "repeat vendors" list if/when we can go back.

My thanks to Pat and everyone else who offered tips and advice. It helped.

-Al

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2007 12:58AM by alreginfo.

Posted by: yes (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 08:44AM

Ric's is closed for vacation

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 09, 2007 10:39AM

alreginfo,

You are very welcome and I'm glad it worked for you and I have to tell you - I love it when people come back and say it was as good as they hoped and for so many, even better.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: hofstetter (---.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 01:25PM

I agree Miami airport is a drag. It took my wife and I three hours to get to our connecting gate.

Posted by: Gerald (---.eot.com)
Date: September 12, 2007 09:35AM

I just read this article from the Daily Herald

Was in St Maarten 2 weeks ago. Had a big discussion with our housekeeper about all the crime on the island. I don't know if I will go back. Check out the link and decide for yourself.

[www.thedailyherald.com]

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |