The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Car rental advice needed
Posted by: itsmejude (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 11:28AM

Time to rent a car - Tried to reach Kenny's - no luck - does anyone have the number?
Unity, Prestige or Kenny
Any suggestions? Any negatives about them? How about the poitives
Is a toyota corolla a good car to rent? only 2 people
Thanks
Judy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car rental advice needed
Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 03, 2007 12:01PM

Judy,

I know nothing about Prestige and I know Unity gets a lot of raves.

We use Lesley Bruce of Kenny's Car Rentals and have for quite a while. I'm really surprised you didn't hear from him but if this helps:

bruce@sintmaarten.net

He's been our company of choice and meets us right at the airport with our car. We do the paperwork and we're on our way.

As for the question of the Corolla - that's what we get every year and have for a long, long time now. Many swear a jeep is the only way to go but to me, I see no good reason for one and I'd far rather be able to have the protection of a roof if it should rain and the convenience of AC on demand on those hot drives back from the beach. It's more than large enough and will go anywhere on the island you should be going to.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2007 12:05PM by pat.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2007 12:42PM

I agree with you Pat. a Toyota corolla is a fantastic car for the island.

Posted by: Kennys (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 03:31PM

Sorry folks internet was down , just got back online.

Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 04:32PM

We have always used Kenny's Car Rental. If Lesley hasn't gotten back to you within 24 hrs it would be do to the internet service on the island being down.
We love to see his smiling face when we arrive.....we then know we are in paradise!

-Gloria

A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a 'true' friend will be sitting next to you saying...'damn that was fun'!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2007 04:33PM by SXMaholic.

Posted by: alreginfo (216.146.80.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 03:18PM

Just got back Sunday, and we used Leslie at Kenny's. Great person and great service. The Corolla was just fine for the island. No need to rent a Jeep. His email address is listed in another post in this tread. He always responded to my emails pretty quick.

Al

Posted by: Mark (---.7.33.218.caribserve.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 07:48PM

Used Unity last week.
They have the best selection of cars on the Island.
We rented an enclosed toyota rav-4 with a sunroof,very reliable vehicle.
I will definitly use them again.
you can call Michael tollfree number 800 820 7918 for a better price.
Bob

Date: September 20, 2007 09:37PM

Okay, Mark, or Bob,

I'm just a little confused here.

You're posting from the island with an island e-mail address and yet you're posting as Mark but you sign as Bob?

I, too, have heard many good things about Unity and Michael but I'm wondering if you're being totally honest with the integrity of your post.

If I question unjustly, my apologies in advance, but any explaination would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: Drew (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2007 07:17AM

Good catch, Pat.

:-)

I've used Unity a few times in the past. Always good service, but last time I was given a car with 3/4 tank of gas and returned it with same. Apparently Michael didn't believe me or didn't agree with me and charged me the difference to fill the tank.

Next time I'll try Kenny's.

Date: September 21, 2007 06:19PM

Drew,

Thanks but I hate to see this kind of stuff from businessmen whom, even though I've not personally used, I've held in high regard because of the positive comments from so many others who have.

Regarding the gas tank thing, I think the rental companies are often turning over cars quickly because of the very narrow window for turnovers between flights, and they are perhaps too trusting of those returning the cars and believe them when they say they've filled the tank.

We have picked up cars and had the tank not full like it's supposed to be, but my experience has been that if you bring it to their attention, it's not a big deal and you just return it with about the same amount of gas as when you picked it up.

I'm really surprised with your experience regarding the rest of it and I know I wouldn't particularly like having my honesty questioned either. But then, given the reality of the original post that we're talking about here.......

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |