The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

12 Metre Challenge
Posted by: alreginfo (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2007 02:38PM

We'll be coming in late August. Has anyone done the 12 Metre Challenge, and how much does it cost? When/where would I sign up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12 Metre Challenge
Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 19, 2007 05:17PM

alreginfo,

Our family's done it a few times - it's usually one of the highlights of the male side of the families' trip each year.

We've booked it both through the activities desk at our hotel and we've also booked it ourselved directly at the 12 Metre Challenge office in P'berg. I could be mistaken but I'm thinking it ranges in price from $65. to $80. depending on when and where you book it. Additional unincluded costs are tips for the crew, the sailing picture which is a great conversation piece and souvenier, and their perpetual tee shirt and of course these are all optional expenses. That may or may not sound like a lot but it really is an awesome and unforgetable experience on a good sailing day.

The one thing I would recommend is to look into it very early in your trip because, depending on when you're there, they could be reducing their trips for the low season and they could also book up with the cruise ship people and it would really be too bad to miss out on this if it's something that truly does interest you.

Have a great time.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 05:39PM

We do this every year and just love it! This year it was $78 per person, and we booked it in person at the marina. They generally do save certain days for cruise ship passengers, and when we booked they steered us away from those days so that they would be sure to have enough spaces for those excursions. This time there were three yachts in our race, and it was quite exciting!

Posted by: Michele&Terry (---.vianet.ca)
Date: August 08, 2007 08:50PM

We also try to stop at the 12 Meter Yacht Club for lunch whenever we do the race - some of the greatest burgers on the island, according to my husband.

Michele

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2007 08:02AM

that restaurant is closed now.

Date: August 09, 2007 11:06AM

Completely closed, or just for vacation?

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2007 11:49AM

as I understand it, completely closed

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 02:53PM

Barbara...you just brought me to tears, sad ones. The 12 Meter Yacht Club Restaurant was a big, big favorite of ours. Fantastic food at very reasonable prices. I am so sorry to hear that they have closed.

Annie

Date: August 09, 2007 03:11PM

What a shame! We had not yet eaten there, but were there right after they opened for a 12 Metre race. It seemed like a really nice place, and the folks that were running it were so excited about having the restaurant.

Posted by: Amber (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2011 04:14PM

[b[/b]WEE will be arriving in St.Marten via cruise ship ..had this excursion all booked and paid for ,the cruise switched our port days...now this excursion not showing up on cruise web page...but 10 of us are dying to to it!Just wondering if the web site that comes up for shore adventures is a good one to use?...If anyone out there knows the best way to go about booking this please let me know...cruise ship not helping!

Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2011 04:17PM

Posted by: Dane (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2012 03:00PM

Just saw this thread and the mention of the 12 Metre Restaurant closing a while back. It has now been reopened by the previous owner of the Dinghy Dock in Oyster Pond and one of the recent bartenders there. I have not been yet, but look forward to checking it out in a couple of weeks. Given the friendly atmosphere and good food the Dinghy Dock became known for over the past couple of years, I am sure it will be a success.

Posted by: Elaine (---.caribserve.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 07:43AM

OK, gonna have to try it!

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |