The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Just returned
Posted by: hofstetter (---.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 01:46PM

My wife and two 20 year olds just return. To say the least the trip was the best.

Food was excellant but a little expensive. We were staying at Oyster Bay and we found Mr B's on the beach to be the best. Also down the road we found a little place called MaMa's pizza. Great food cheap and a beautiful view. We got out of there for $100 US for the four of us. Keep in mind they only take cash.

Only two negatives:

1. Driving at best was stressive and a real pain because the roads are bad and there are no stop signs or light (free for all).

2. Garbage seems to be a real problem on the island. There have central pick up points and those bins are always overflowing and a mess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just returned
Posted by: kathy (---.uncpa.unc.edu)
Date: July 13, 2007 01:59PM

Garbage was bad the past few weeks because of a contract dispute or something like that....the past few weeks are not representative of normal times

Date: July 13, 2007 03:28PM

Such a beautiful island

Posted by: biturbo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 03:00PM

Mama Pizza is truly excellent. We stay nearby at Les Balcons. Enjoying one of Mama's gourmet pizzas with salad and a nice Bordeaux from the local grocery, sitting on our balcony with the view, listening to Island 92 = paradise! Thanx for sharing.

Date: August 01, 2007 03:03PM

Just got our photos back and the view is excellant. Which airline did you fly?

Re: arriving Aug. 11, 2007
Posted by: Jennifer (---.vbgov.com)
Date: August 02, 2007 02:44PM

Hello to all, we will be in SXM August 11,2007 and my mother and baby are flying out three days later to meet my b-friend and I. Any suggestions on what we should do before and after they get there? We want to experience the dining and night life and have some pampering at a spa and of course I want to shopsmiling smiley

Posted by: The Miner (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2007 04:35PM

My wife and I also returned about two weeks ago.
I had a crown prep at the dentist aand am charging him for cutting my vacation short after returning.

Count the number of stop lights and you will find one, count one stop light. They wisely took the other down a couple of years ago.

Ya got to relax and figure out how to drive on the island. It works by hand signal and respecting the traffic. I pretty much have it figured out when to and not to take the right away.Aand just importantly when to give it to others.

What to do in St Martin? First stop and smell the ocean breeze.
Go to Bo Bo Jams for lunch on Orient Beach. Classic!
If you like to snorkel go to Mullet bay on the northwest side. It is comparatively easy and the fish this year were the best. Saw squid, needle fish, and the usual things that are just gorgeous.
Go to Sherries at Maho in the evening, show strts at 8pm meals thorough out the night. The food is reasonable, the entertainment is ... bawdy but is better than sitting in a hotel room. Leave anytime.
Go to Sunset Bar and watch the planes coming in for a couple of hours. No need to buy unless you want to.
Go to Market on Wednesday in Marigot, which will take you back a few years.
Eat at the Marina in Marigot but be prepared to pay more.
I took about 300 photos this time around so don't forget a camera.
Drink lots of Caribs.
For jewlry and stuff shop at Phillipsburg. Royal Jewlry is on Front Street, stop by and say hello to Vince from Frank and Lind Osminer. Don't pay the ticketed price instead bargin any wheres you go for sparkels. It is not a glitzy shop but they have always treated us and friends honestly.
A start.

Be aware of who is around you and their intention. Theft from cars is common and
everyone will warn you. Theft from persons is less common (I hope!) but don't get careless or it could cost you. I carry two bill folds. One with dollars and
no ID to give up if need be. Never used it but my wife was robbed in Marigot in broad daylight. I wasn't there. I still park where the robbery took ploace. I'll take a shot at him or friends.

You have a beautiful trip ahead of you. Happy vacation and the absoloutly the best.

Frank

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |