- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Solo Female in January
Posted by: Amysue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 09, 2007 02:33AM

Hi! I'm a single female travelling to the island the second week of January '08 and would appreciate any advice offered. Does anyone have experience with the public transportation? Where are the best places around Simpson Bay (besides the Sunset Beach Bar, I'm already aware of it) to dine or just hang out and meet people? What about call centers or computer access?

Amybody else already planning a trip for the same time? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Solo Female in January
Posted by: RicknGrace (170.61.18.---)
Date: July 10, 2007 01:24PM

Lady C Floating Bar is a nice spot. The Wharf in Simpson Bay has music every night. The food is good too. People are always talking up Jimbos and Pineapple Petes for dinner but we have only been for lunch. Plenty of action in Maho. from Cheri's to Soprano's to Driftwood to Bliss and Bamboo Bernies.

Posted by: Kennys (72.252.9.---)
Date: July 11, 2007 05:17PM

Be careful , and even though you are on vacation , don't take rides from strangers . Have a good trip.

Posted by: M (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 01:18AM

5Crime is high on the island so be careful, do not leave yourself in a position to be taken advantage of.

Have fun.

Posted by: JackRinaldi (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 12, 2007 11:02AM

Your age is important to know.....if you are over 25, you should consider renting a car....this will allow you to travel safely around the island. Also post closer to your trip and try to arrange company with people who know the Island very well.

Date: August 09, 2007 04:50PM

Thanks for the info, and the parental advice... I'm over 35, by the way.

Another question please, are there many single people (over 30) during the high season, or is it mainly couples? I'm not looking for hook-ups, but don't want to spend ALL of my time alone or as a third wheel. Thanks!

Posted by: thom (---.dsl.cavtel.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 08:05AM

my buddy and I are leaving on Sunday the 19th of Aug. Staying at Maho BAY. Royal ISalnder Club La Plage. Would have been fun to hang out with you. It is a shame you are not arriving until January.

Posted by: Jim (77.248.16.---)
Date: August 12, 2007 02:29PM

I live on St. Martin/St. Maarten (sorry im dutch winking smiley ) , January is highseason which means that there are alot of people from all over the world. It's a great time to visit St. Martin. Especially the nice regattas!

There are alot of single people too, especially in the Simpson Bay area because that's the place where all the "boaties" hang out. And where you met alot of new friends. It's my favorite place to be. You'll have a nice time.

Oh, and try the "local" food too. Places like Pineapple Pete's and Lady C are not the most cheapest. You'll find out yourselve! Have fun.

Date: August 12, 2007 03:27PM

Thanks Jim! I'm so happy to finally get a response from a "local". Never appologize for being Dutch, darlin'!

Can you be more specific about local food? I don't want to travel all that way to eat like a tourist.

I'll be staying on the Dutch side. The harbour is part of the draw as I love to sail and hope to meet some people who will let me join them on a day trip or two.

Keep in touch!
Amy

Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 12:30PM

If you like to sail this [www.12metre.com] would be a fun time.

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Posted by: julia (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 13, 2007 05:56PM

The crime is not high on this island. I have moved here permanently now after coming here for over 14 years and it is the safest island in the Caribbean. You can never escape petty theft and things like that if you leave your car unlocked or whatever but for the most part, it is extremely safe and this is one of the reasons we have always come here and then ultimately moved here. There are so many great places to go but if you need more suggestions than the ones you have already received, please feel free to write me back and I will give you some more. Hey maybe I can introduce you to some friends. If you want to, you can let me know how old you are and maybe I can "hook you up" LOL! I am a married female by the way, originally from Texas. You will love St. Maarten. Have you ever been here before?

Date: September 16, 2007 10:05PM

Thanks Julia! I've taken you up on your offer to email directly. This is the kind of response I was hoping for. January is getting closer and I'm so excited!

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: September 17, 2007 12:14PM

Without question petty crime is the bigger problem on island but its irresponsible to say crime isnt high and if you doubt it ask some of the female students at Medical School or some of the home owners on Frenchside. Home invasions and crimes involving guns and knifes and usually drugs are happening more and more and to say its the safest Carribbean Island is just wrong. I been coming 25 years and know theres crime and that its on the rise just like everywehre else and more so than on a lot of islands. Its not epidemic and not like in some of the really bad islands but you should paint a true picture for Amysue if your gonna paint at all.

Date: September 17, 2007 01:37PM

PLEASE don't use my thread as yet another "It's a scary world out there, little girl" forum! There are more than enough warnings about crime on this island (and everywhere else in the world), on every St. Martin/St. Maarten site. I've read them. I live in a big city. I'm a grown-up.

I appreciate ALL information, but it's very frustrating when people use every single thread as a new stump for the same old 'warnings'.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2007 11:00PM

Then stop setting yourself up for the truth. Try library books and magazines for your information !!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |