The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Update Mullet Bay Robbery - Police Broke They Need $
Posted by: maryann (---.verizon.com)
Date: June 19, 2007 07:22PM

Last month I posted my story of being robbed on Mullet Bay Beach. I have an update. I was notified of an arrest. It would seem that should be good news. However, the thief will serve no time and the SXM Police cannot afford to mail or ship any of my recovered property to me! I have documented the details of this latest collection of incompetence and lack of concern for victim’s rights below.

Approximately three weeks ago I was informed of the arrest by a new detective assigned to the case. He told some of my property was recovered and that it would be sent back to me. I provided him with my address. He also requested that I send him details of any miscellaneous expense incurred as a result of the theft. He had no e-mail address so he asked that I send the information via Bibi at smn-news and the prosecutor, Paul Mooij. I sent the details as requested, then waited and heard nothing. I sent a second e-mail after two weeks; still no response.

I made several more calls to the police and never reached that new detective again. Another person in the detective’s office told me that my property cannot be released by the police. He said the prosecutor, Paul Mooij, was the only person with authority to release property. I called Mr. Mooij, and finally reached him today after three days of calling.

Mr. Mooij informed me that the police have my property and he had already authorized its release. I guess the police missed that too. The next bit of information provided by the prosecutor prompted me to post this new thread.

Paul Mooij told me that they have no funds to mail/ship or send my property back. Therefore, they asked the thief contribute to the pot to fund the shipment. They actually expect this low life thief, who used a child as a cover to reach into her pocket and give the police the money to send my property back. Note: She has not been ordered to do so; they just hope she will contribute since they ask her to. Meanwhile, I have no idea what items were recovered nor do I know the condition of the items. The SXM authorities have not had the common sense to send me a list of what was recovered, yet they expect me to guess what my expenses will be.

To add insult to injury, when I asked the prosecutor the outcome of the arrest, he said she may do some community service but they have no cells at the jail. So the Mullet Bay Thief is out and about. Sure makes me feel warm and fuzzy. After so many years of visiting SXM and supporting their economy, I am disgusted by the total lack of concern shown by the authorities. The special government taxes I pay for my timeshare each visit should more than cover shipping charges. SXM wants the tourist dollar, when will they wake up and protect the source of economic stability?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Update Mullet Bay Robbery - Police Broke They Need $
Posted by: sue (72.10.105.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 08:15AM

This is outrageous!!! I am so sorry this happened to you. The thing is- it could happen to any one of us that visits St. Maarten. How sad!!! The bloom is surely off the rose!!!

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 02:37AM

Will they send the recovered items C.O.D.? Did they offer? Will they hold these items until you visit the island again?

Actually, it's remarkable that they not only followed up on your case, but they prosecuted without your being available for a court appearance.

I'm guesing that they arrested and prosecuted this person in connection with another case.

Maybe they raided this persons house and found your previously reported items (which you reported and they had on, (and they checked against) a stolen property list) in her possession. Were your stolen items easily identified as belonging to you, in particular? Did you have something stolen with a serial number, or your name on the item etc.?

They're probably doing no more than simply telling you that your property was found; but your situation isn't a priority. I.e., they may have also recovered items stolen from ten other people. You probaby got no more than the equivalent of a "form letter".

Ed

Posted by: LennynRose (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2007 01:09PM

It is to bad about all of the crime on SXM.

It is the island's beauty that makes people visit, and it is the reports of crime that will turn people away.

The clycle will keep repeating itself.

It is actually hard to believe that the police force/island is out of funds. The government has to wake up and be proactive.

Hawaii had similar trouble years ago...crime concentrated on the tourist because they knew that the victims would not pay to come back to testify. The problems were solved when the island started paying for the victims plane and lodging to return to testify against the thugs.

I also heard that they had increased the penalties for crimes agains tourist/non-natives. If it is true, it shows the island's commitment to keeping the tourist's money flowing into the economy.

Maybe some day the gov of SXM will be just as proactive!

I recall one vacation after two hurricanes...the island wasn't so friendly. Obviously, it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.

Lenny

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 17, 2007 12:48PM

LennynRose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is to bad about all of the crime on SXM.
>
> It is the island's beauty that makes people visit,
> and it is the reports of crime that will turn
> people away.
>
> The clycle will keep repeating itself.
>
> It is actually hard to believe that the police
> force/island is out of funds. The government has
> to wake up and be proactive.
>
> Hawaii had similar trouble years ago...crime
> concentrated on the tourist because they knew that
> the victims would not pay to come back to testify.
> The problems were solved when the island started
> paying for the victims plane and lodging to return
> to testify against the thugs.
>
> I also heard that they had increased the penalties
> for crimes agains tourist/non-natives. If it is
> true, it shows the island's commitment to keeping
> the tourist's money flowing into the economy.
>
> Maybe some day the gov of SXM will be just as
> proactive!

I've slowly come to the conclusion that they really don't care to stop petty theft, and they view it (the income from petty theft to the residents doing the theft) as a of form of Welfare system.

Ed

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |