The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Drinking and Driving
Posted by: shannygirl (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2007 05:37PM

Anyone know what the laws are regarding drinking and driving on the French and Dutch sides?
Any information would be greatly appriciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drinking and Driving
Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2007 06:18PM

French side is very strict.
Dutch side will catch up soon.
Bottom line; be responsible.

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 09:59AM

Yup - don't drink and drive, anywhere!

Posted by: Huntfishwow (38.113.90.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 12:52PM

During our last two trips to SXM, the French Side was carrying out drunk driving checks on a regular basis.

We came across alcohol checks @ the French/Dutch Boarder towards Oyster Bay; heading to Grand Case by the Bounty Mart & airport speed bumps; and the Grand Case intersection near Portofinos's Lolo.

They were pulling over random cars (rentals & residence). We were not stopped but our resort neighbor's (sober) who were two cars behind us were.

The Garmandes asked a few questions, shined a flashlight to see in & around the car, and waved them on.

Just remember; eventhough your on vacation alcohol has the same effects on the body. In any case, drunk driving is extremely dangerous!

Posted by: don4 (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 09:49AM

This is all good advise, but who among us hasn't driven down to the Sunset Beach Bar for a few beers, or had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner.

The questions that I would ask are:

1) What is the legal limit on each side of the island? .10? .08? .06? ????

2) Assuming that you are not involved in an accident, what are the penalties if you do get stopped, and are found to be in violation? Do you have to pay a fine, or do they put you in jail? Do you have to return to the island for a later court date, or can you pay a fine and leave? Can the violation result in a licence suspension in your home state? Would the violation end up affecting your auto insurance?

I have no intention of driving around drunk, but I don't want to stay at the hotel every night either. I drink responsibly, but the laws can be very different from country to country. If the limit is low enough, it doesn't take much at all. I don't want to have four beer somewhere, then face a beheading or eight years in a Turkish prison.

Anybody have any answers to these questions?

Posted by: Gov (---.mercermc.com)
Date: June 25, 2007 02:42PM

It is acceptable as long as you don't get caught.

Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 07:11PM

Gov Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is acceptable as long as you don't get caught.

Never no place. Get real.

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Posted by: Bagologist (---.dllstx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2007 06:00PM

DON'T BE A DUMMY!!!
If you can afford to pay your way out of jail,
you can afford a driver.
He is FAR less expensive.

Posted by: hofstetter (---.net)
Date: October 19, 2007 02:02PM

Driving on the island at night is difficult. I strongly suggest you do not drink and drive.

Posted by: Carolyn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 19, 2007 02:33PM

I believe the French side has a legal limit of 0.04. There was a long discussion on TTOL a few months ago.

Posted by: MelissaG (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 02, 2007 06:42AM

If you have to ask........Don't do it!

Posted by: richard (---.43.170.138.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: November 02, 2007 01:46PM

Why take a chance on ruining lives when the taxi fare is relatively cheap? If you need a trustworthy and dependable driver, please e mail me; we met a wonderful man last year. He made our vacation one of the best experiences every!All the things you look for in a driver, guide, and now I'm happy to say, our freind. Knows everyone and everything about the island; he was such a great host and guide that we felt very comfortable renting a car and driving every inch of St. Martin this year. Got re-aquainted and have his cell# for anyone who would like it.

Posted by: PaulB (63.81.205.---)
Date: November 26, 2007 08:22AM

Who among us hasn't driven down to the Sunset Beach Bar for a few beers, or had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner.

I would like to know if anyone can help with answers to the following.

The questions that I would ask are:

1) What is the legal limit on each side of the island? .10? .08? .06? ????

2) Assuming that you are not involved in an accident, what are the penalties if you do get stopped, and are found to be in violation? Do you have to pay a fine, or do they put you in jail? Do you have to return to the island for a later court date, or can you pay a fine and leave? Can the violation result in a licence suspension in your home state? Would the violation end up affecting your auto insurance?

I have no intention of driving around drunk.

Posted by: Bucky111 (---.193.91.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: March 02, 2013 11:29PM

I just got pulled over and blew .25mg/lt the legal limit and they let me go. It was a random check point. If i blown .26 who knows??? .25 is .05 in the US; one person was not so lucky and was talking a $1000 euro fine!

Posted by: Bolduk_10 (210.56.96.---)
Date: August 06, 2016 05:16AM

To be honest, if you take my opinion one should never mix drinking and driving as damage done by it can be irreversible and irreparable. My cousin works with a Los Angeles DUI lawyer and often tells me how DUI ruins people’s life and what I know, France is quite strict about it especially after these recent happenings!

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |