- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rental car concerns
Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2007 08:46AM

i'll add my 2 cents to this - I have rented a car on the island every year and sometimes twice a year since 1992, We have never, ever had a car broken into. We arn't out late at night, (always home by midnight) have parked all over Marigot, Phillipsburg, Maho - yes the dreaded Mullet parking lot, grocery stores, Orient (usually Bikini Beach area as of late), Rouge, Mullet, Friars, Cupecoy, (many restaurants at night) and I am sure the list goes on.

We always leave the beach stuff in the car for the trip - boggie boards, umbrellas, and sand toys. Years we had car seats, always left them in also, And always lock the car up, never in all the years have we been broken into.

I'm not saying it doesnt happen, but I think its really luck of the draw. Would I leave my purse on the front seat or stuff within eyesite, No!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SquirrelHunter (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 14, 2007 09:34AM

Never had a car seat stolen. Most rental car companies can provide the seat.

Posted by: Gov (---.mercermc.com)
Date: June 14, 2007 09:48AM

gov Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no chance the car seat will be in the car
> when you return. Anything in sight, that has ANY
> value, will be taken. No doubt in my mind.

Clearly an imposter. Looks like someone is trying to stir up trouble on the board.

Posted by: alreginfo (216.146.80.---)
Date: June 14, 2007 11:05AM

Thanks for the comments everyone. Makes me feel better about the car seats.

Pat, I might PM you sometime soon with questions about the 12 Metre trip (or lump the questions into another thread about activities). I've been racing for 26 years on many different boats, but never the 12's, although my brother got to do it many years ago in Newport, RI. - for a week! Will have to wait until next week, though. Off to Chicago now for a 3 day, 8 race event. Last count, 33 boats on the starting line for tomorrow morning.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2007 06:24PM

alreginfo,

Feel free to ask away although perhaps a seperate thread or a private message.

My family has done the 12 metre races many times and it's been the highlight of the week for them on a couple of the trips. Of course, a lot depends on the winds and the other participants. And I have to be honest about this so there's no misunderstanding - none of them are sailors nor have they done any sailing beyond the 12 metre trip. It's just been an interesting experience each time they've gone out.

Safe travels.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Re: Rental car - robbery
Posted by: joogy (69.57.254.---)
Date: June 25, 2007 01:47PM

Just to add my 2cents worth, or actually, my $200 U.S. worth....
Just returned from SXM this weekend. I had no problems with my rental, even parked in seedy areas late at night on the weekend...however i had nothing of value in my car...
Sunday, i had my suitcase in the trunk, i toured the island, left my car unattended, but locked a few times....daylight hours....when i returned the car to rental agency, and opened my suitcase....i noticed that all my newly purchased items were gone!!! someone had broken into the trunk, opened my suitcase, and taken all the new items (polo shirts, jeans, ipod).
also, i had a smaller bag with my passport, which was NOT taken.
so, i guess i was robbed by a somewhat conscientous thief.
there was no damage to the locks, and i was never away from the car for more than 25minutes, and was always parked in a 'busy' parking lot.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 04:22PM

joogy, sorry to hear this happened to you. It's too bad you didn't see and read this before you were on your trip. The second post about says it all. Car breakins are fast and quick and luggage left is asking to be looted.

Posted by: alexandra (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 02:34PM

I live near Philadelphia and have been to SXM 14 times in the last 20 years. My best advice is to stay alert, use common sense as you would in Chicago and don't let your guard down eventhough the island is enchanting!!

Posted by: E. Cooke (206.61.187.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 11:12AM

We just returned from a 10-day stay on the island, rented from Unity. Michael gave us excellent service. His advice, which I second, is that you do NOT lock your rental car (and do not leave anything of value anywhere in the car). If the car is locked, there's a good likelihood somebody will break a window or damage the lock -- and you still lose your stuff!

My additional advice: Do not rely on the reputations or corporate ethics of the "big-name" companies. We did that a year ago and found out that Alamo/National takes zero responsibility for unethical behavior of its "independent" dealers. We reserved our car last year over the corporate website of National/Alamo (no disclaimers anywhere on the web reservation system). We had a serious ripoff (huge charge tacked onto the bill with no justification whatevber). The International office of Alamo agreed it looked like a scam... then just said they had no control and no responsibility for it. So much for corporate ethics, huh? We were finally able to get the money back from the bank that issued our Visa card (Visa International also said they routinely favored the merchant and would not get involved in the case!).

Other posters have reported good experiences with some of these agencies. Decide for yourself what the advice is worth.

caveat emptor!

Posted by: alreginfo (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2007 02:01PM

Thanks one and all. We're set up with Lesley Bruce at Kenny's.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 05:41PM

Good choice!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |