The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rental car concerns
Posted by: alreginfo (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2007 12:55AM

Hi,

We'll be visiting SXM for the first time this August staying in the Simpson Bay area. I keep reading about robbery, car break ins, etc. How bad is it really, and will simple common sense prevail? I live between Milwaukee and Chicago, and visit both regularly, so know about not leaving things unattended in the open. (Although some of the write ups I've read make downtown Chicago seem safer than parts of the island).

Is getting the additional rental car CDW or LDW insurance worth it? Normally I don't.

Thanks! Sure to have more questions later (if I don't find the answers elsewhere in the forum).

- Al

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rental car concerns
Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 09, 2007 07:48AM

alreginfo,

Remember that most of what you read becomes overblown through the retelling. That said, there is a major problem with car break-ins so the smart money says don't leave anything in your car, in or out of sight, locked in the car or even the trunk. The little island cars can be broken into in minutes and some of the guys are so good you won't even know it's happened. Unless, that is, your things that were in the trunk are gone!!

We have collision insurance coverage on our credit cards but of late we take the liablity coverage offered through the rental company. I'd suggest you check with your insurance company at home, but most companies do NOT cover you outside the USA, either in your general policies or your umbrellas. And verify with your cc, too, so there's no misunderstanding.

About the robberies, they happen, just as they happen here at home, but we've been visiting for 35 years now and we've not been a victim of any type of island crime. The best you can do is not put yourself in compromising situations and then enjoy the island for all the good parts and hope nothing bad happens.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: edgar (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 09, 2007 03:01PM

On one hand, you say what you read is overblown. Then you go on to say car break-ins are a major problem. The bottom line is this.....I have never been to a place where your vehicle will be broken into if a towel/ cup/toothbrush or as a matter of fact ANYTHING is in view. But it happens all the time in SXM.

Posted by: Maureen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 09, 2007 09:10PM

Al,
We just returned from our 11th trip to the island, with that said, we always rent a car and have NEVER had ANY problems. Just use common sense, and you will be fine.
Maureen

Posted by: alreginfo (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2007 12:35AM

Pat - thanks for the info.

Edgar - Please clarify. Your post is almost as confusing. You have never been anywhere where it's a problem but it happens all the time on SXM? Does that mean you've never been anywhere off the island where it's a problem but you have lot's of problems on the island?

Maureen - where do you rent from? I've read so many things about so many rental places it's like overload. St. Louis stood out, but price-wise they were higher than others, even Payless. (We have a Payless here in town at home that I've used. They're OK here).

Al

Date: June 11, 2007 06:42AM

alreginfo,

If it helps at all, we usually rent from Lesley Bruce at Kennys Car Rentals.

bruce@sintmaarten.net

He's reasonably priced and provides the airport pick-up and drop off of cars that we prefer over being transported elsewhere to get them. He's also a very nice man.

Remember, please, names that are familiar to you at home are not necessarily affiliated to the companies of the same name on the island. Hertz and Avis are very different island companies than they are stateside.

Good luck,

pat

Posted by: Az Guy (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 02:10PM

We always use Michael for our rental car. Try this site for a wide selection.
www.unitycars.com

As far as insurance - this was posted once upon a time and is very helpful.

Insurance -

There is no coverage afforded under your personal or commercial automobile policy outside of the US and Canadian borders.
1) In SXM purchase the liability insurance.

2) You should rent the car with a credit card that affords you the collision coverage. Most contracts will be similar but you should consult your own credit card company. These coverage's are suspended in Jamaica, Israel, Ireland and the occupied territories of Ireland (North).

3) YOU MUST purchase the liability protection offered by the rental agency there is no other source. Personal injury can be a far greater expense than a vehicle's cost.
I have been told by locals that if you have an accident in St Martin remain with your car and DO NOT move it until the Police arrive. If you should move it you may suffer full responsibilty for the accident. In any event obtain the names and addresses of any witnesses immediately and a description and tag of the other vehicle should it attempt to leave.

Consult your Emergency Evacuation coverage and lost luggage sections affored under most credit cards.

~~ Once you've slept on an island, you'll never be the same ~~
2008 St Maarten Pics

Posted by: Candee Duensing (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 11:47AM

Hi,

I lived in St Barth for 3 years; just returned to the States two weeks ago. As such, we often spent long weekends on St Maarten. I never get the extra car insurance when I rent a car. Except on St Maarten! I always do. I figure the chances of my car being hit when I'm driving or even parked are much greater there. The license plates of rental cars on the Dutch side have a big R on them, which immediately identifies you as a tourist. The rental cars on the French side have "normal" license plates. I believe that Thrifty on the Dutch side has many cars with French license plates. I always tried to rent one from them. Or, you can take a taxi to Marigot from the airport for $20 and rent a car at the waterfront. As far as crime, I've never had a problem, but we ALWAYS avoid Philipsburg at night. And, recently, there have been quite a few violent robberies of stores (and grocery stores) in the afternoon, as well as attacks of people in the streets. Just be very, very careful in Philipsburg.

have fun,
Candee
www.insidestmaarten.blogspot.com

Posted by: SquirrelHunter (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 06:05PM

Two years ago while at Cupecoy our rental from Unity was broken into and the steering column was damaged beyond use. Nothing was visible but because the doors where locked we were hit. Mike at Unity was great. Since we secured and paid for the vehicle on our Gold card, coverage was provided. Mike didn't even demand an additional security deposit prior to leaving the island and relied on us to follow through with Mastercard. He provided another vehicle and was paid for the damage by the credit card company after our return to the states.

P.S. Don't let them fool you, crime has gotten worse since we began our trips to SXM in 97' Be smart, walk with confidence and a purpose. Most of the crimminals are bottom feeders preying on the week, dumb and old in otherwords The defenseless.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 13, 2007 08:14AM

Won't argue with anything else you had to say but in most cases the sxm car criminals are preying on anybody they got a shot at with little regard to 'defenseless' cause once the car is parked they have no clue who you are. Most crimes against tourists are still against rental cars and sorry but I dissagree they break in for towels or toothbrushes. They break in to see what else might be hidden away and hope they get lucky.

Posted by: alreginfo (216.146.80.---)
Date: June 13, 2007 09:54AM

Since it sounds like they're after anything and everything, is my child's car seat going to be OK, or do I need to take that out and lug it around every time we stop - at the zoo, at the butterfly garden, at the beach, the restaurant, etc. etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2007 09:55AM by alreginfo.

Date: June 13, 2007 07:24PM

alreginfo,

I have to admit, it's been quite a few years since we've travelled with a car seat but I honestly doubt leaving them in your rental car will be a problem. And of course, I can't swear to that or that it won't happen but I doubt it, myself. My best suggestion to you on this subject would be to check with your car rental company as to what their experiences have been. I'm sure they'be be your best source of good info.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip. We've been going as a family since our daughters were entering their teens and now they go with their families. It really is a wonderful vacation spot and a great location to spend quality time together as a family.

Enjoy,

pat

Posted by: gov (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 13, 2007 08:00PM

There is no chance the car seat will be in the car when you return. Anything in sight, that has ANY value, will be taken. No doubt in my mind.

Posted by: Kennys (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: June 14, 2007 07:02AM

I never heard of a Baby Seat being stolen.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2007 08:30AM

me neither
and I know people who leave their baby seats in their cars all the time.
I know crime and break ins into cars is a problem here, but I wish people who post here would be factual in what they post, rather than being extremists.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |